What do guys use for doing written estimates and invoice? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What do guys use for doing written estimates and invoice?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Old thread but I’ll try..

After spending time with an accountant to set up my books it seems creating items or price lists to include in estimates so I know my cost would be beneficial. But to me there is so much that varies from job to job; ie. how much spotter did I use, or how much pre spray was used, or how much urine solution.

Is there a decent way you’ve found to track your cost each job in a systemized way?

Hopefully I’m just overthinking it all now and it becomes clear after thinking about it all. Feeling intimidated.
If you try to monitor and track every squirt of chemical it will drive you insane. Figure a fair price for the average job that will allow you to include spot removal at your set price. There are a few specialty stains I do charge extra for, mostly because they are time and labor intensive. The stains I’ll charge extra for are:

Red stains - $10 per stain or $10 per square foot for large stains.

Gum removal - $5 per piece. If there’s just a piece or two I’ll remove them at no charge but when there’s 15 pieces of gum in the room I’m charging extra for the time spent.

Paint removal - $150 per hour spent. (So 15 minutes of paint removal would be $37)

Urine treatments vary depending on severity and what the customer is willing to pay for. Urine treatment starts at $20 per room for a topical treatment (no water claw or pad extraction)

Level 2 urine treatment (using a water claw) starts at $50 for the first spot and $25 per spot after that.

Level 3 urine treatment which includes new padding and sealing the sub surface is priced per job. No set prices here.

Most other stains I don’t charge extra for. Honestly my annual chemical cost comes in between 2% - 3% of my gross sales so chemical cost is not a real issue. Most stains I’m charging extra for is because of the added time that is required.

Reactions: J20770 and Select

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
If you try to monitor and track every squirt of chemical it will drive you insane. Figure a fair price for the average job that will allow you to include spot removal at your set price. There are a few specialty stains I do charge extra for, mostly because they are time and labor intensive. The stains I’ll charge extra for are:

Red stains - $10 per stain or $10 per square foot for large stains.

Gum removal - $5 per piece. If there’s just a piece or two I’ll remove them at no charge but when there’s 15 pieces of gum in the room I’m charging extra for the time spent.

Paint removal - $150 per hour spent. (So 15 minutes of paint removal would be $37)

Urine treatments vary depending on severity and what the customer is willing to pay for. Urine treatment starts at $20 per room for a topical treatment (no water claw or pad extraction)

Level 2 urine treatment (using a water claw) starts at $50 for the first spot and $25 per spot after that.

Level 3 urine treatment which includes new padding and sealing the sub surface is priced per job. No set prices here.

Most other stains I don’t charge extra for. Honestly my annual chemical cost comes in between 2% - 3% of my gross sales so chemical cost is not a real issue. Most stains I’m charging extra for is because of the added time that is required.
So do you or have you seen carpet cleaners list the items sold and their cost on the invoice?

It sounds like you aren’t tracking cost per job most likely because you’ve already seen that your chemicals are less than 3% gross sales over the years.

Still trying to wrap my head around the accounting side.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
So do you or have you seen carpet cleaners list the items sold and their cost on the invoice?

It sounds like you aren’t tracking cost per job most likely because you’ve already seen that your chemicals are less than 3% gross sales over the years.

I think as far as accounting is concerned you will find it easier to track how much you buy instead of how much you sell.

Keep track of your chemical purchases and divide your chemical cost by the number of jobs done. This will tell you how much you are spending per job on average for chemicals. I’d recommend doing this on a monthly basis to start, make a trip to your supplier at the first of each month and re-stock your chemical inventory. Go stock up at the first of August and then in September buy enough to replace what you used in August. Divide your September purchase by your August customer count. Try to maintain your chemical inventory at about the same level each month.

As you are in business longer you can take your yearly chemical cost divided by your annual customer count.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States

There are already threads about the per job cost of chemicals. It's not very expensive. There are threads about the cost of doing business when it comes to your equipment. No single pet stain/odor is the same. I charge around $25 /gal to saturate pet odor/shit/urine stains. The key is the "Estimated price". Its a guess on what you think the job would be. You can have 20 different line items alone on pet stain/odor removal. You can spend all day long tracking your expense and profit. Quickbooks isn't going to help you figure the profit you need to make when you wake up each morning starting the day $200 in the hole.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
There are already threads about the per job cost of chemicals. It's not very expensive. There are threads about the cost of doing business when it comes to your equipment. No single pet stain/odor is the same. I charge around $25 /gal to saturate pet odor/shit/urine stains. The key is the "Estimated price". Its a guess on what you think the job would be. You can have 20 different line items alone on pet stain/odor removal. You can spend all day long tracking your expense and profit. Quickbooks isn't going to help you figure the profit you need to make when you wake up each morning starting the day $200 in the hole.
I think your right but what’s occurring that would cause one to start each morning $200 in the hole? Are you talking about estimating too low?

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I think your right but what’s occurring that would cause one to start each morning $200 in the hole? Are you talking about estimating too low?
Overhead. Your CODB. It's different for everyone. Mine was ridiculously low for the last 10 years. I was able to build up a good amount of water restoration equipment for that reason. I bought a brand new rig last year and my CODB is higher.