Mold cannot grow on stone. It needs a food source, usually cellulosic (plant-based) in nature, as well as moisture.
If you have mold growing on marble, it is likely growing on biofilm, a buildup of biological material on the stone. Vacuum the marble thoroughly with a unit with a HEPA-rated filter to remove spores and prevent the mold from spreading. You can use a fungicide like Benefect, which will not harm marble, to disinfect. Then remove the biofilm by cleaning the stone, and the mold will not be able to grow.
Any "staining" (the filamentous roots of the mold) left behind can be removed with a marble-safe poultice.
Marble is a very delicate stone, therefore, it should always be cleaned with non alcoholic products or acidic substances such as common household bath cleaners, vinegar or lemon juice.
Molds can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present, if the water comes into contact with building materials and is not noticed or extracted properly. The mold growth may or may not be visible from inside the infected area. The mold contamination may stay hidden within the walls, under the floor, or above the ceiling.
There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
Mold growth can begin within 72 hours.
Molds grow in air that is moist, warm & stagnant.
Severe Molds can have catastrophic health consequences.
I always thought incubation period is 48 hours. Wrong again...?
Understanding growth of odor causing bacteria such mold, mildew, etc. should be priority for every carpet cleaner for many reasons, one being underlaying health issues. So, when digging under wet carpets in the basements without as much as half mask, we're not doing ourselves favor. Taking mold remediation class is on my bucket list!!!