What chemicals will disinfect for Corona virus?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Gentlemen, I've seen miracle carpet cleaners from Crazy list offering solution to a novelty virus 2 weeks ago. I haven't seen what CDC recommends, but pretend for a minute that you're infected and you're not aware of it
( virus can be dormant for number of weeks). You're the carrier, right?
How you going prevent spreading the virus in that case? You can sanitize, disinfect, but you won't be able to sterilize. So , now we become a hacks ?
Can someone explain to me, what difference can we make in the process and what surfaces can we attack?
As of now, I've dropped all of my restaurants and just by doing so I'm lowering risk of getting infected . I'm not being paranoid, the virus is like a Ponzi scheme, but much worse.
Is @Scott W going to come out of retirement and shine light on this matter?

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I've been having tremendous success with gasoline and a match.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I'm seeing a lot of guys talking about advertising for this on the Facebook group's and its laughable.

Its breaking out hard here in WA state with about 130 infected and 10% of them have died.

To think a 1 man show carpet cleaner is going to attempt to go in a building and sell a fix for this is just plain idiotic.

You should see what the buildings look like here that have been hit with the virus, it's pretty serious. Leave it to the government and people who know wtf their doing to handle the decontamination.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I'm making a few grand on opening tomorrow on my INO stock . Kinda feel guilty but it's the American capitalism.
I'm getting a full face this week because there will be Hot Zones coming to your town real soon .
20200307_121150.jpg

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I know what CDC recommends but is there anything more powerful from the carpet cleaning stores?

Speaking more for hard surfaces.
As products clear testing (which can ONLY be done in a very small selection of bio-labs, so it's going to be a long process), FIFRA and the CDC will announce them. It's an ongoing process.

So far, there are lists of products that are allowed to make a "novel virus claim" (meaning they will likely be effective based on what they already kill). These include quats, phenolics, thymol, and chlorine bleach. More will be added as time passes and testing continues.

But remember, ANY product for which you are getting PAID to apply it comes with liability issues.

And any antimicrobial which makes a kill claim on its label carries strong restrictions - you MUST FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS WITHOUT DEVIATION. If it says you must rinse afterward, you MUST rinse. If it's only labeled for hard surfaces, you CANNOT apply it to soft surfaces like carpet. The majority of antimicrobials are labeled for hard surface use only.

Using an antimicrobial product in a way for which it is not labeled is not only unethical and dangerous, it is ILLEGAL. So is making a kill claim if you aren't using a product that carries that claim AND is used according to directions for that claim.

Customers are starting to panic, and they want reassurance that they won't get sick. YOU CANNOT MAKE THAT GUARANTEE. At most, you can offer to sanitize their carpet for their peace of mind. In a situation like this, the carpet is just about the last place they're going to be picking up cooties. They're much more likely to get sick from contact with other people.

It's tempting to capitalize on fear. Don't be that guy.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
yeah I had a friend try to convince me I need to go start spraying buildings with disinfectant. Told him no thanks, I'm not that kind of professional.

I do think it is starting to affect my business though - was expecting a surge of calls this week and instead its a dead zone.

• Sad
Reactions: sbsscn and Mama Fen

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
yeah I had a friend try to convince me I need to go start spraying buildings with disinfectant. Told him no thanks, I'm not that kind of professional.

I do think it is starting to affect my business though - was expecting a surge of calls this week and instead its a dead zone.
Let it affect your business - you good guys with quality names will be just fine when business resumes. Slow times are a part of the industry.

I'd much rather you all be slow, twiddling your thumbs, reading your manuals and organizing your SDS books, than that you be out there trying to do a dangerous job for which you aren't prepared... and for which you could well find yourself on the hook if someone dies.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yeah I think this whole thing is silly. No children have died, it's only really killing those who were on a low health spectrum anyways or are long time smokers.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Fear mongering at its finest by our media.
I do laugh though im buying tape to tape up my finger in bandaid aisle. And people are next to me fighting over the last box of masks. Probably the same folks who sit on the shitter while playing with their phone.

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States

I was worried about the same.............that and the stock market getting crushed.

Knocking on wood now..............but......so far so good this AM.....Phones ringing nice and steady.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

Ask your friend if he's been fit-tested for a respirator and is using it on every one of these "disinfecting" jobs. If he hasn't, and doesn't, then insurance will not be paying his bills when he gets sick. OSHA will be all over him shortly after he presents as ill.

Also ask him if he's got enough liability insurance to cover his business if he does a job and shortly thereafter, someone gets sick and requires treatment. Or even worse, dies.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Yeah I think this whole thing is silly. No children have died, it's only really killing those who were on a low health spectrum anyways or are long time smokers.
I wish this was nothing......

The big problem is that the virus is going to overwhelm out hospitals.
20% who get it need medical attention
10% need hospitalization
1-3% who get it die.

There are not enough beds in the USA hospital system to accommodate even a small percent of those patients.

IF you are over 70 and healthy ...................or have underlying medical conditions, diabetic, COPD, Blood pressure, coronary disease of any kind etc, CLINICALLY OBESE......................this thing is not joke. You have a 15-20% chance of dying if you get this and are in any of the above groups.

The other paradox is that kids under 10 while they do get infected they often show little or no symptoms NEVER RUN A FEVER and do NOT even require Dr;s visits. This is bad in that the kids become the Super Carriers unwittingly and spread it throughout communities.

Reactions: StephenPJ

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I wish this was nothing......

The big problem is that the virus is going to overwhelm out hospitals.
20% who get it need medical attention
10% need hospitalization
1-3% who get it die.

There are not enough beds in the USA hospital system to accommodate even a small percent of those patients.

IF you are over 70 and healthy ...................or have underlying medical conditions, diabetic, COPD, Blood pressure, coronary disease of any kind etc, CLINICALLY OBESE......................this thing is not joke. You have a 15-20% chance of dying if you get this and are in any of the above groups.

The other paradox is that kids under 10 while they do get infected they often show little or no symptoms NEVER RUN A FEVER and do NOT even require Dr;s visits. This is bad in that the kids become the Super Carriers unwittingly and spread it throughout communities.
As of right now 14% of infected in my area have died... but the biggest outbreak was at a care facility.

A nursing home we service had an outbreak.. no chance I'm entering that building until this is done.

Some of these dumbasses on the fb groups might actually catch some serious blowback thinking they are out here disinfecting buildings.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
As of right now 14% of infected in my area have died... but the biggest outbreak was at a care facility.

A nursing home we service had an outbreak.. no chance I'm entering that building until this is done.

Some of these dumbasses on the fb groups might actually catch some serious blowback thinking they are out here disinfecting buildings.
If it's the same nursing home I'm thinking it is, that's where our local case caught his. He flew back from there and popped positive three days later.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Truth is, this whole thing also shows how all of our medical advancement won't save you if you become infected.

The treatment is essentially fluids and medications and hope you don't die.

The virus is spreading worldwide too fast for a vaccine or anti-viral medicine to be formulated.

Really it's probably our good sanitation systems that is keeping it from infecting millions. Only thousands we know of have been infected at this point.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States

Yes, as stated, with the sick and old the death rate is high, very high.

The overall death rate will come down a lot once more testing occurs and more of the mild cases that never even go to the drs are factored in.

However the old and vulnerable as described above are in a situation where this is a BIG DEAL.

The big deal for the rest of us is if the Hospitals and ER 'become overwhelmed dealing with the old, obese and medically compromised in our community that will need Hospitalization at an alarming rate possibly approaching 20%.. There are NOT enough beds in American hospitals to take care of that many patients at once.

You do NOT want to go to a hospital for the next few months unless you are for real dieing. Once you have outbreaks in your community the ER and hospital will be ground 0 for the virus. If you did not have it before you went to the ER, you will have been exposed and will be treated as if you possibly do the moment you walk into the door and your name will be added to the gov. watch/possible quarantine list as it should. You must protect the community at large.

Look at what measures the Italian government are deploying this week. I expect similar here in the states on a regional basis to isolate pockets of outbreaks.