What can cause mysterious yellow stains on new carpet?

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I clean a house once a year, for the last 3 years. It is all new VERY WHITE cut pile carpet. Last time I cleaned it 3 weeks ago, there were probably 4 yellow stains. Just bright yellow, all in different areas. . The house has no pets or kids. They do have grandkids over sometimes though. I tried some general spotter, then some strong ink remover type spotter, then some rust remover, then some stain zone, and nothing budged it. So I just put some stain zone on all the spots at the end and told her sorry, but Idk what the yellow is but it isn't coming out. She doesn't know what it is either.

Anyways, she just called me today and said she just got back from vacation and wanted me to know that she is super disappointed that I didn't get the stains out and rambled on about how I do shoddy work ( also cause I didn't move a dehu and clean under it as well, apparently). I told her I don't do shoddy work and that she should just have a carpet installer patch the spots and be done with it.

This is the 2nd place I have seen this though. Just totally random yellow spots that no chemical affects. The only other thing I could try would be red relief, but this place is an hour away and I doubt it would work anyways. I am just curious what on earth you think could cause it? Is there something I am not thinking of?

• Sad
Reactions: sbsscn

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
Customer or housekeeper spilled or dropped some cleaning products, over time they start to discolor the carpet. They will never admit to it or own up to it. Easier to blame us for it. Remind her that you clean all the carpet with the same products/process. So those yellow spots would be everywhere if it was your products. I hate when people start getting crazy on me over stuff like that.

Reactions: wandwizard

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I would buy robs uv light and always use it during the walk through prior to any job.
if the spots mysteriously appeared pull out a ph meter or paper, water (distilled preferable) and check ph. Ph can help shed some light on what it is.
unless I absolutely know what it is, I always use(try) a Oxidizer first then once try use a red(ucer). Use chemistry to solve the problem. Dont guess!

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Customer or housekeeper spilled or dropped some cleaning products, over time they start to discolor the carpet. They will never admit to it or own up to it. Easier to blame us for it. Remind her that you clean all the carpet with the same products/process. So those yellow spots would be everywhere if it was your products. I hate when people start getting crazy on me over stuff like that.

this has to be it. Like a window washer or a maid or someone was spilling stuff. I probably lost her as a customer but sometimes that is for the best because I hate being blamed for nonsense. there have probably been 5 times within the last 4 years or so that I have been blamed for some crazy things that I had no control over. Very frustrating.

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
Whenever you do your walk the with customer always point out spots and stains and ask what that might be. Than say you will try your best. DONT take ownership. And I can relate as others here how some customers try to blame.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Medication, creams, store bought spot remover they hid from you... can be anything. One things for sure. Its her fault not yours. And sometimes the only option is to cut it out. That aint shotty work. It is what it is. Sometimes cutting it out believe it or not is faster then screwing around with it. The best spot remover on my van is a Knife hotglue gun and some tape.