What are your Creative Foam Fighting Techniques?

nextlevel

Nov 17, 2006
Ca
Real Name
Thomas Turn e
Business Location
United States
What are you using to combat foam in your waste tank?

One creative thing I heard was to take a dish washing sponge soaked in liquid defoamer and put it in your waste tank filter bag.

Anyone tried this or other methods?

Priceless

User
Dec 9, 2009
California
Real Name
Kevin Price
Business Location
United States
Just get a 6.5 pound jar of powdered and add a little to you waste tank,if you add something to your bag you are going to lose a little performance faster.

nextlevel

Nov 17, 2006
Ca
Real Name
Thomas Turn e
Business Location
United States
Just get a 6.5 pound jar of powdered and add a little to you waste tank,if you add something to your bag you are going to lose a little performance faster.
What is causing a loss of performance?

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Luckily i've never had many problems with foam. I found that using different presprays cause more/less foam. The best spray with the least amount of foam that I have used was Cti's Extreme Clean. I did use a pump up back then though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Priceless

User
Dec 9, 2009
California
Real Name
Kevin Price
Business Location
United States
What is causing a loss of performance?
The foam.You either can keep using what you are using and use defoamer or as E stated get a detergent that is low foaming.When I say the sponge will cause a lack of performance in the bag is because it acts like debris and blocks out part of your suction.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
The idea of soaking a sponge with defoamer and putting it in your filter sounds like it might actually work. Let us know. I found foam much harder to fight when I used to use a portable all the time. You most definitely will run into situations where you will need a powdered defoamer that is spread on the carpet before you extract. I like Chemspec Crystal Defoamer for that purpose. It prevents the foam from ever building up in the vacuum line which will weaken your vacuum recovery and cause you to leave the carpets too wet. If you ever clean a carpet that has been previously cleaned with a Spray & Vac type product or has been heavily spot treated with a high foam spotter, or even worse with dish washing liquid, then a powdered defoamer is really the only solution to that. I had one customer who used to spot clean her carpets with Joy at full strength so you can imagine what happened when I tried to clean it. Just a few scoops of crystal defoamer can knock down the heaviest foam imaginable before it fills your vacuum line and your machine. http://www.jondon.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=fef4abb18bb07d8cd2bae7d90a14bfaa&keywords=Crystal+defoamer&x=0&y=0

nextlevel

Nov 17, 2006
Ca
Real Name
Thomas Turn e
Business Location
United States
Interesting. I know the foam is causing a loss of performance... But I don't quite know why a sponge in the filter bag would decrease vacuum performance. It's in the filter bag, not the filter cage where the ball is.

Currently I use concentrated liquid defoamer. I use a spray bottle to apply it to the waste tank before every job. It seems to do a good job. The sponge idea seems like a better idea since it stops foam before entering the waste tank.

Priceless

User
Dec 9, 2009
California
Real Name
Kevin Price
Business Location
United States
Your vac is being pulled through that filter bag so I assumed it is a smaller bag and as it fills you will lose suction.The powdered defoamer through your wand and hose is the best way to do it.It is also more economical.

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
We use low foaming products like Chemspec Formula 90 . I use the powder defoamer few snoops every time in the waste tank..Never have any problems..
Foam is the biggest vacuum motor killer . Its important to use it each time in your waste tanks..

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I know a cleaner who drops a bar of soap in his waste tank. He says it works great.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I mix a concentrated batch of defoamer and neutralizerin a spray bottle and spray a few shot ( not mist or sprays) into the suction hose prior to cleaning, If i suspect or the customer informs me of a detergent spill or soap then I spray(shot)/soak it (the area/spot) with concentrated neutralizer but if i do that then i treat it like a spot/stain removal and thourly flush it out

prcarpet

Feb 11, 2010
Clarksville, TN
Real Name
Chris Biggs
Business Location
United States
I use liquid defoamer and even with a high foaming product like flex or quake I have no problems it's the harvard foam away. I put more if i'm using a more hardcore prespray. Always works no problems. I was having problems just shooting it down the hose like most people stated I should do. I found that adding it in the waste tank is the easiest solution. High foaming a little in the hose and tank. Monitor your situation and if need be dump more often if your porty isn't auto fill/dump.

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
I haven't needed de-foamer for over 20 years.

I would change chems if I was you.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
I knew a guy who used to pee in his waste tank. He swore by it right up until a customer saw him doing it and assumed he was peeing in the clean water side. He never quite talked his way out of it, not to mention the embarrassment he suffered. After that incident, he used to throw two pickles in his waste tank. I don't know if it worked or not. I just assumed that it was time for him to be institutionalized.

Sometimes it is best not to venture outside of normalcy.

JDS87

May 25, 2009
Florida
Real Name
John Stanton
Business Location
United States
If you run out of defoamer you can always use some liquid fabric softener such as Downey, etc.
It works very well at getting rid of the foam and leaves a nice fresh smell in the tank.

nextlevel

Nov 17, 2006
Ca
Real Name
Thomas Turn e
Business Location
United States
I knew a guy who used to pee in his waste tank. He swore by it right up until a customer saw him doing it and assumed he was peeing in the clean water side. He never quite talked his way out of it, not to mention the embarrassment he suffered. After that incident, he used to throw two pickles in his waste tank. I don't know if it worked or not. I just assumed that it was time for him to be institutionalized.

Sometimes it is best not to venture outside of normalcy.
Sounds like that guy had a serious problem.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
Sounds like that guy had a serious problem.
He definitely had some odd ideas and practices. Actually, he used to dump 2 oz of the pickle juice from empty containers (once pickles were gone) in the waste tank the last time I heard from him, which has to be over 10 years ago. LOL. His wife used to get mad as hell because he kept spending money on pickles and use the juice and pickles as anti foaming agents. Oddly enough, he was otherwise a very intelligent guy but definitely eccentric.

The funniest thing was how well acclimated his wife had become to his oddball behavior. I could tell stories for days and probably laugh myself to sleep over them. God bless him. People like he, make the world an entertaining place.

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
A squirt of solvent in the tank or on the offending soapy spot will kill the foam.

Works for laundry soap and shampoo spills.