What are you charging for carpet stretching? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What are you charging for carpet stretching?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
you have to start in middle of wall and go to the corners, im sure its fast as hell when you figure it out..... I used my so much I got used to it and its better than a knee kicker. and I hardly use the power stretcher.
How are you stretching carpet without a stretcher?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
you have to start in middle of wall and go to the corners, im sure its fast as hell when you figure it out..... I used my so much I got used to it and its better than a knee kicker. and I hardly use the power stretcher.
That’s funny we found it to be no good. On new carpet it work somewhat but older needing restretches nope not at all.

It’s for sale if you want it

Reactions: keep it clean

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
You guys confuse the hell out of me at times - since I need to get into carpet repair it's a challenge sifting through all the conflicting info.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You guys confuse the hell out of me at times - since I need to get into carpet repair it's a challenge sifting through all the conflicting info.
Its simple. To stretch a carpet it needs to be from wall to wall. Dont over think it. There is no easy out in this. Believe me i would have found it by now.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If you really want to get into it. Get carpet pieces and practice seaming. Simulate cigarette burns, and dog rips. If you dont understand how to prepare or row a seam just ask. But most people struggle with the seaming part. And only practice can make you better at it.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Well I've done light carpet repairs and bevel cut to make the seams disappear so I'm assuming its similar but assumptions can kill you.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
How are you stretching carpet without a stretcher?
I have a kneeless kicker , the thing is awesome,,, before you knock it get one and put in some time using it and youll figure it out.. Its faster than a knee kicker or a power stretcher.. I still carry the ps and knee kicker with me on the van but I have only been using the knee less kicker for damn near a year now..

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
That’s funny we found it to be no good. On new carpet it work somewhat but older needing restretches nope not at all.

It’s for sale if you want it
Mike when I was struggling with my kneeless kicker, I called the guy up on the phone and he said think of pulling the corners on a bed sheet and pulling the wrinkles out.. I start in the middle of the wall and go to the corners then on one side wall and as you use it the wrinkles disappear and its tighter than you would do with a knee kicker.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I hunt for repairs because its free money to me. Ive make so many patches and seams its just no big deal

Reactions: Bob Savage

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I have a kneeless kicker , the thing is awesome,,, before you knock it get one and put in some time using it and youll figure it out.. Its faster than a knee kicker or a power stretcher.. I still carry the ps and knee kicker with me on the van but I have only been using the knee less kicker for damn near a year now..
How would the kneeless remove the wrinkle in this situation? Note the room im standing in still had about 36' to go behind me to the next wall.
20200204_102632.jpg

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Mike when I was struggling with my kneeless kicker, I called the guy up on the phone and he said think of pulling the corners on a bed sheet and pulling the wrinkles out.. I start in the middle of the wall and go to the corners then on one side wall and as you use it the wrinkles disappear and its tighter than you would do with a knee kicker.
I talked to the office also. Didn’t work all that well and the head they sent me was a cotton head only so the dumb thing will slide like crazy. Supposedly the model I got only requires some pressure on the head they even sell a pinned for doing it standing up.

But you need head pressure and rear legs we have to put weight there also for it to grab

Reactions: keep it clean

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
How would the kneeless remove the wrinkle in this situation? Note the room im standing in still had about 36' to go behind me to the next wall. View attachment 89498
Watch the video, I get the corners first the start in the middle of the walls and go to corners.... much faster than a pw stretcher or knee kicker... go to the web site and watch the video ,,,, took me a few months to figure it out because there was no one to ask but after that , the light went off and I zipped thru the job I was on.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
the kneeless kicker has a 2 inch draw, each tuck you make your drawing another two inches,, you can pile up a lot of carpet into the corners to you have to learn how to go angled to the corner then straight on to the wall and so on.... The guy that make it , is a genius... Until you get one and play with it and learn out to use it... its the best tool in the box.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
the kneeless kicker has a 2 inch draw, each tuck you make your drawing another two inches,, you can pile up a lot of carpet into the corners to you have to learn how to go angled to the corner then straight on to the wall and so on.... The guy that make it , is a genius... Until you get one and play with it and learn out to use it... its the best tool in the box.
I understand the theory. Ive bumped in carpeting without a stretcher. Especially apartments that arent paying much. I know how to walk the carpet to where i want it. I dont see this kneeless replacing a stretcher. A kicker sure. Its moving the same amount of material that a kicker can. Only in a more controlled motion. You know that pole stretcher will move twice that up the wall in half the travel of the lever. And if you really wanted you could rip the carpet or push walls out because of how much leverage there is at your disposal.
In my pic above because that room was out of square with the area i started in. I had to twist the carpet creating that ripple so it would touch all walls. It took the pole stretcher and a crab combined to finally pull that small wrinkle down. Normally i wouldnt have put all that carpet down behind the table. But because the pool table was trapped in this area. The only thing stopping the dollies from creating a wave in the carpet was to screw myself and punch that area in. So 1 i couldnt reverse back to remove wrinkles and 2 each seam there after had a bow creating me one hell of a nightmare.

Remember the 1% rule. It needs to be stretched at a minimum of 1%. Which a 12' width should remove at least about 1 1/2". 35' would be rough 4 1/4" and so on. Some carpets are very elastic and will move that plus some with ease.
Is the kneeless a replacement for the kicker? Sure. It moves the same amount of material without killing yourself. And can take the duty of the kicker. But is it a replacement for the power stretchers? Nope.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I always carry a doubled up 2x4 7' long, and sometimes longer, with carpet on it to protect their stuff when power stretching at the tail block. There is no substitute for a power stretcher. I have 2 of them!

When I am cutting carpet for a new seam or patch/bonded insert, I part the fibers first with a metal serrated wooden handled tool from Roberts, so I cut the backing and not the face yarns. This gives me a much better fit. I use nothing to outline the cut, but use the cut piece as a perfect match for the opening I cut.

I usually go and do an estimate before securing the job.

Every stretch job is different!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
This is going for a good price at the moment. I thought about it. But i have 3 of them already. These are perfect for repair work.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I understand the theory. Ive bumped in carpeting without a stretcher. Especially apartments that arent paying much. I know how to walk the carpet to where i want it. I dont see this kneeless replacing a stretcher. A kicker sure. Its moving the same amount of material that a kicker can. Only in a more controlled motion. You know that pole stretcher will move twice that up the wall in half the travel of the lever. And if you really wanted you could rip the carpet or push walls out because of how much leverage there is at your disposal.
In my pic above because that room was out of square with the area i started in. I had to twist the carpet creating that ripple so it would touch all walls. It took the pole stretcher and a crab combined to finally pull that small wrinkle down. Normally i wouldnt have put all that carpet down behind the table. But because the pool table was trapped in this area. The only thing stopping the dollies from creating a wave in the carpet was to screw myself and punch that area in. So 1 i couldnt reverse back to remove wrinkles and 2 each seam there after had a bow creating me one hell of a nightmare.

Remember the 1% rule. It needs to be stretched at a minimum of 1%. Which a 12' width should remove at least about 1 1/2". 35' would be rough 4 1/4" and so on. Some carpets are very elastic and will move that plus some with ease.
Is the kneeless a replacement for the kicker? Sure. It moves the same amount of material without killing yourself. And can take the duty of the kicker. But is it a replacement for the power stretchers? Nope.
it does not replace the power stretcher, but it does work faster and better than a knee kicker... That's why you angle to the corners because it draws a 2 inch draw at the angle the next is more and more …. I love the thing.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I talked to the office also. Didn’t work all that well and the head they sent me was a cotton head only so the dumb thing will slide like crazy. Supposedly the model I got only requires some pressure on the head they even sell a pinned for doing it standing up.

But you need head pressure and rear legs we have to put weight there also for it to grab
kneeless has long spikes