What are the must haves to start my business properly? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What are the must haves to start my business properly?

katycarpetcleaning

Premium VIP
Aug 6, 2012
Real Name
Randy Wagnon
When you are ready to start your new business and have purchased your first truckmount, let me know and I will send you a few boxes of products to get you started. Give me some idea about the type of customers you will target and the work you expect to do.

Be sure to try out the SX-15 tile tool. You can watch the YouTube videos and see that it gets the floor drier and cleaner than competing tools.

Scott... Is there any talk of making the sx-15 lower profile so it will fit under toe kicks in kitchens. That is my big reason for preferring the turbo hybrid over sx.

Reactions: 1stImpressions

Charles P.

Aug 29, 2012
Real Name
charles payne
UPDATE-
I have ordered my Inferno 30/47 Stack from Ben at Amtex. After a lot of research I found that it will give me the most bang for my buck, and you can't beat Ben's customer service. I am also ordering the hard surface package from Steambrite, as well as the swiveling stair tool and an upholstery wand. I hope to be up and running the second week in November. I also went with a card reader from Intuit because they link to QuickBooks Pro. I will probably be ordering chem's from https://shop.truckmountforums.com or Cobb's here locally. I have insurance setup on the van , equipment, and for liability. Would appreciate any pointers on what I am missing. Thanks!

1stImpressions

Sep 8, 2011
Oklahoma
Real Name
Keith Cross
Business Location
United States
What about training? Have you signed up for any IICRC classes, or found someone who will let you do a ride-along?

Sent from my SCH-R830 using TMF Forums mobile app

Charles P.

Aug 29, 2012
Real Name
charles payne
I have done some ride a longs but can't do iirc classes until the spring or summer after my retirement from the Army because weekend classes aren't offered

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

1stImpressions

Sep 8, 2011
Oklahoma
Real Name
Keith Cross
Business Location
United States
I have done some ride a longs but can't do iirc classes until the spring or summer after my retirement from the Army because weekend classes aren't offered

Awesome! As long as you have a plan! Some on here will debate the necessity of being IICRC certified. Regardless of where you land on that issue the classes are valuable training. I didn't get to take my classes until after I'd been cleaning for a while but, while I knew the basics of "how" they showed me the "why" which makes a better cleaner all around. Good luck to you and Thank You for your service!

Keith

Sent from my SCH-R830 using TMF Forums mobile app

gr4474

Oct 2, 2011
LOUISIANA
www.bluecarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Greg Rodie
Business Location
United States
UPDATE-
I have ordered my Inferno 30/47 Stack from Ben at Amtex. After a lot of research I found that it will give me the most bang for my buck, and you can't beat Ben's customer service. I am also ordering the hard surface package from Steambrite, as well as the swiveling stair tool and an upholstery wand. I hope to be up and running the second week in November. I also went with a card reader from Intuit because they link to QuickBooks Pro. I will probably be ordering chem's from https://shop.truckmountforums.com or Cobb's here locally. I have insurance setup on the van , equipment, and for liability. Would appreciate any pointers on what I am missing. Thanks!

What tile cleaner are you getting from steambrite?

Charles P.

Aug 29, 2012
Real Name
charles payne
I am getting the TH40 15in head

Sent from my SCH-I915 using TMF Forums mobile app

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
Hi guys,
I have been following this forums for a couple of years and have learned so much from all of about what to do and what not to do. I am retiring from the Army in the next year and am ready to get started on building my business. I have talked with Ben at Amtex and have decided to go with the 25HP Inferno mounted in a 6X10 trailer. I will start with a wand at first just due to budget constraints but will be getting a RV360i as soon as I can. Please address the following. Thank you in advance for you time!

1. What is the best hard surface cleaning tool and will give me the most bang for my buck?
2. What chemicals do I need to start with (for carpet and hard surface) and where is the best place to buy them?
3. And most importantly what did you buy in the beginning that you figured out later you really didn't need?

I took care of all the paperwork/financing/ads for our business. My husband did all the supplies/equipment/tools (matter of a fact he went to "look" at a van and purchased it without telling me.)

The beauty of the California web site is you type in what business you're looking to start and where and it will tell you where you have to file all your paperwork. Took about a week for everything. Wanted to make sure that we were legal. Invested in insurance then registered with SBA (I have a thread coming soon on this topic). Designed a very basic web site and had it up in running in a matter of hours. Created 200 cheap business cards.

Paperwork:
Business Plan
Business License
Fictitious Business Name
Federal Tax ID registration
State Licensing Fee
County Fees -Waste
Insurance - Travelers -Switched to Hartord - General Liability and Auto Insurance
IICRC - Certifications (lapsed and haven't gone back)

All the while my husband was purchasing our van, bought the hydramaster 318, purchased all the equipment. We bartered for our Rotovac 360i and our SX. Borrowed a ninja for commercial work and hit the ground running.

We didn't pay for the Rotovac or the SX. I am sorry I can't help you there.

As for chemicals CTI is around the corner from us and we purchase whatever "new" product they have on sell.

Must haves in the van for us:

Spot/Stain Kit (won from CTI)
Maxim Advance (up selling)
Flex with Citrusolve (bridgepoint)
Bio Break with Citrusolve
Hydrocide Xtreme
De-liminate
1st TLC
OSR
Green Balance Carpet PreSpray
Green Balance Hard Surface Cleaner

In the beginning most of our clients were renters or landlords.

Last edited:

marmot

Sep 18, 2013
Real Name
marmotsmith
Give some ideas regarding Which type of business you want to start and which types of customer you want to target with your business?

teaman

Jul 5, 2018
Indiana
www.tummyteatox.net
Real Name
Nathan
Business Location
United States
Low start up costs, not dealing with having to fire and hire employees, working longer hours than your employees, not messing with the accounting, having the luxury of leverage, being able to get up and go when and where you want instead of being stuck in one place like most traditional businesses, respectfully.