What are the must haves to start my business properly? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What are the must haves to start my business properly?

Charles P.

Aug 29, 2012
Real Name
charles payne
Hi guys,
I have been following this forums for a couple of years and have learned so much from all of about what to do and what not to do. I am retiring from the Army in the next year and am ready to get started on building my business. I have talked with Ben at Amtex and have decided to go with the 25HP Inferno mounted in a 6X10 trailer. I will start with a wand at first just due to budget constraints but will be getting a RV360i as soon as I can. Please address the following. Thank you in advance for you time!

1. What is the best hard surface cleaning tool and will give me the most bang for my buck?
2. What chemicals do I need to start with (for carpet and hard surface) and where is the best place to buy them?
3. And most importantly what did you buy in the beginning that you figured out later you really didn't need?

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Turbo Hybrid by Hydro Force for your spinner, Purchase Rob Allens ride along video. Purchase tile master from Rob Allen TMF. Attend a strategies for success seminar hosted by Jon-Don. Get IICRC certified for all services. I don't regret any purchases but having a rotovac 360i isn't necessary but I'm glad I have one.

ASAP

Feb 1, 2011
Ca
Real Name
Pete DLP
Business Location
United States
Hi guys,
I have been following this forums for a couple of years and have learned so much from all of about what to do and what not to do. I am retiring from the Army in the next year and am ready to get started on building my business. I have talked with Ben at Amtex and have decided to go with the 25HP Inferno mounted in a 6X10 trailer. I will start with a wand at first just due to budget constraints but will be getting a RV360i as soon as I can. Please address the following. Thank you in advance for you time!

1. What is the best hard surface cleaning tool and will give me the most bang for my buck?
2. What chemicals do I need to start with (for carpet and hard surface) and where is the best place to buy them?
3. And most importantly what did you buy in the beginning that you figured out later you really didn't need?

1. Turbo Hybrid

2. We use Prochem Power-Burst

3. Lots of different chemicals

Motley24

Nov 30, 2012
Real Name
danny motley
go with an ez mount ,for sure .save all the money you can because you need business cards ,nice shirts with your name,web site ,and a advertising budget .and you need all your insurances before you even start your first job .I own a ez mount machine ,so I can actually review it and nick (the owner of the company )first of all .nick is a great guy for advice at almost anytime no matter if it is 10 times in one day .nick gives you so much more fribees with his machines. other will dollar you to death for most extras. nick wont and nick is also a long time carpet cleaner .he uses his own machines everday.so he knows what works and what doesn't .I don't know ben that much and his machines looks good ,but in my opinion nick was a better business man.and I am glad I went with him and his machine ,plus nicks machines have temp thermostats .just my opinion give nick a call and decide for your self ,and you will want a 360 because 70 percent of jobs are rat jobs .and if you go with nick .make sure you get a glide for you wand .because the power of the machine will force the wand to suck the carpet .and they get HOT !!!!

Reactions: Jeff Maietta

katycarpetcleaning

Premium VIP
Aug 6, 2012
Real Name
Randy Wagnon
Hi guys,

Charles you won't be disappointed with your AMTEX inferno or the support you get from Ben. Ben started out as a carpet cleaner first and foremost, and that's
where he learned what it takes and what we need to get the job done. He makes such a great machine that he left the cleaning side of the business to build the bests machines in the business. Since you have spoken with him on the phone, you know that he has a passion for what he does and the machines that he builds. There are plenty of TM manufacturers that WISH they built their machines as well as AMTEX, and had the loyal following of satisfied customers that Ben at AMTEX has.

Go with the Turbo Hybrid for hard surface cleaning, Tile Master for tile and grout cleaning, and whatever
chems you need from a local source if available. That way you don't have to stock a ton, but have easy quick access when you need something.

katycarpetcleaning

Premium VIP
Aug 6, 2012
Real Name
Randy Wagnon
go with an ez mount ,for sure .save all the money you can because you need business cards ,nice shirts with your name,web site ,and a advertising budget .and you need all your insurances before you even start your first job .I own a ez mount machine ,so I can actually review it and nick (the owner of the company )first of all .nick is a great guy for advice at almost anytime no matter if it is 10 times in one day .nick gives you so much more fribees with his machines. other will dollar you to death for most extras. nick wont and nick is also a long time carpet cleaner .he uses his own machines everday.so he knows what works and what doesn't .I don't know ben that much and his machines looks good ,but in my opinion nick was a better business man.and I am glad I went with him and his machine ,plus nicks machines have temp thermostats .just my opinion give nick a call and decide for your self ,and you will want a 360 because 70 percent of jobs are rat jobs .and if you go with nick .make sure you get a glide for you wand .because the power of the machine will force the wand to suck the carpet .and they get HOT !!!!

Danny...I am an AMTEX Customer operating a 25/45 Stack and I think that my review of the AMTEX machine and Ben's personal service will be more accurate base on my actual experience as an AMTEX owner and operator compared to someone like yourself that has never had the opportunity to work with one. I have read your postings and have seen you have used various descriptions of Ben and AMTEX ranging from "Dollar Thief" to "Used Car Salesman" to god knows what else.

You said all of those things without ever experiencing their machines nor their service tends to make be think that your approach from day one attempting to conduct business with AMTEX was not proper from the beginning. I know that when you were talking to AMTEX you posted you were deciding between an Eruption and a Marine then when you found out that AMTEX required the money upfront, you created a thread essentially bashing AMTEX and "Not naming any names"...basically said that you thought you might loose all you money in the deal. Then you bought an EZ and have been taking any chance you get to take a swipe at AMTEX.

Look, you made a business decision that you feel is right for you and I am happy for you, but the bottom line is you didn't buy an AMTEX and I am pretty sure you have never operated an AMTEX so, while you are happy with your machine....by you own admission...you really have nothing else to compare it with. I am sure Nick is a fine guy but your statement that he is a carpet cleaner and uses his own machines every day has me confused. Is he a CC or a TM Manufacturer, because I think that if he is the later and has such a great business making his machines....why would you still need to be a carpet cleaner....Something just doesn't add up. For me, I go with the guy that has been successful building his manufacturing business to the point that he left the cleaning business behind. Glad you are happy with your machine, and it sounds like you are getting good service in between Nicks Carpet cleaning appointments...hope things work out...for me, I am sticking with my Stack 25/45.

Reactions: Oscar27

Motley24

Nov 30, 2012
Real Name
danny motley
Danny...I am an AMTEX Customer operating a 25/45 Stack and I think that my review of the AMTEX machine and Ben's personal service will be more accurate base on my actual experience as an AMTEX owner and operator compared to someone like yourself that has never had the opportunity to work with one. I have read your postings and have seen you have used various descriptions of Ben and AMTEX ranging from "Dollar Thief" to "Used Car Salesman" to god knows what else.

You said all of those things without ever experiencing their machines nor their service tends to make be think that your approach from day one attempting to conduct business with AMTEX was not proper from the beginning. I know that when you were talking to AMTEX you posted you were deciding between an Eruption and a Marine then when you found out that AMTEX required the money upfront, you created a thread essentially bashing AMTEX and "Not naming any names"...basically said that you thought you might loose all you money in the deal. Then you bought an EZ and have been taking any chance you get to take a swipe at AMTEX.

Look, you made a business decision that you feel is right for you and I am happy for you, but the bottom line is you didn't buy an AMTEX and I am pretty sure you have never operated an AMTEX so, while you are happy with your machine....by you own admission...you really have nothing else to compare it with. I am sure Nick is a fine guy but your statement that he is a carpet cleaner and uses his own machines every day has me confused. Is he a CC or a TM Manufacturer, because I think that if he is the later and has such a great business making his machines....why would you still need to be a carpet cleaner....Something just doesn't add up. For me, I go with the guy that has been successful building his manufacturing business to the point that he left the cleaning business behind. Glad you are happy with your machine, and it sounds like you are getting good service in between Nicks Carpet cleaning appointments...hope things work out...for me, I am sticking with my Stack 25/45.
I quoted my experience with amtex ,not yours or anyone else . I cant and wont review a amtex machine because I never had one . anything I say on tmf is my opinion ,just like everyone on tmf has an opinion and I mean everyone .ben was my number one choice until it came time for the final agreement .in my opinion ( just my opinion )nick is the better business man .and when I said (other will dollar you to death on extras I meant (others)it was a typo .ben was not the one that was trying to dollar me .it was a couple other major brands that tried to dollar me ,not ben. bens machines is one of the most popular machines around ,but my (opinion )is that I agree with jeff. get a ez mount .and that way he will have more $$$$$ to buy other stuff he needs for the business. its no secret ez mounts are a little cheaper then most other brands.and just because I feel like I didn't have a good experience with a company does not mean anyone else will

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Turbo Hybrid by Hydro Force for your spinner, Purchase Rob Allens ride along video. Purchase tile master from Rob Allen TMF. Attend a strategies for success seminar hosted by Jon-Don. Get IICRC certified for all services. I don't regret any purchases but having a rotovac 360i isn't necessary but I'm glad I have one.

Hi Charles,
Welcome to a GREAT industry... IF you "do it right"! HOWEVER, "do it wrong" and this business can be Hell on earth! The Strategies for Success seminar that John recommended above (Thanks, John!) specializes in getting people to "do it right". (Whether they are brand new or in the business for 30 years.)

Wouldn't it be great, Charles, to not make common "start-up" mistakes right from the git-go? HERE is a short "SFS orientation video". And of course this board will be a huge help for you too.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS Now if you simply can't make it to a SFS seminar right now then we have a special "Just Starting Out?" section on the SFS web site that is totally free. Plus write me at [email protected],com and I'll email you my "12 Secrets to Success in Carpet Cleaning" Special Report. (No charge!)

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Are you getting a retired check each month or do you have a cushion of capital saved up? If not, then get a part time job the first year of your business. I reccomend that the most. Because you could start out with a rug doctor or a $50k butler, you'll start out with the same amount of customers.

Charles P.

Aug 29, 2012
Real Name
charles payne
Are you getting a retired check each month or do you have a cushion of capital saved up? If not, then get a part time job the first year of your business. I reccomend that the most. Because you could start out with a rug doctor or a $50k butler, you'll start out with the same amount of customers.

Hi Matt,

I will be retiring with full benefits for me and my family and a pension check, but will be getting a job if I need to. The goal is to start the business soon so I can build up clients and word of mouth before I get out of the Army next year. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: matt30577

Charles P.

Aug 29, 2012
Real Name
charles payne
Hi Charles,
Welcome to a GREAT industry... IF you "do it right"! HOWEVER, "do it wrong" and this business can be Hell on earth! The Strategies for Success seminar that John recommended above (Thanks, John!) specializes in getting people to "do it right". (Whether they are brand new or in the business for 30 years.)

Wouldn't it be great, Charles, to not make common "start-up" mistakes right from the git-go? HERE is a short "SFS orientation video". And of course this board will be a huge help for you too.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS Now if you simply can't make it to a SFS seminar right now then we have a special "Just Starting Out?" section on the SFS web site that is totally free. Plus write me at [email protected],com and I'll email you my "12 Secrets to Success in Carpet Cleaning" Special Report. (No charge!)

Thanks Steve I will be emailing you and I plan to visit your Dallas location this next week.

Charles P.

Aug 29, 2012
Real Name
charles payne
I quoted my experience with amtex ,not yours or anyone else . I cant and wont review a amtex machine because I never had one . anything I say on tmf is my opinion ,just like everyone on tmf has an opinion and I mean everyone .ben was my number one choice until it came time for the final agreement .in my opinion ( just my opinion )nick is the better business man .and when I said (other will dollar you to death on extras I meant (others)it was a typo .ben was not the one that was trying to dollar me .it was a couple other major brands that tried to dollar me ,not ben. bens machines is one of the most popular machines around ,but my (opinion )is that I agree with jeff. get a ez mount .and that way he will have more $$$$$ to buy other stuff he needs for the business. its no secret ez mounts are a little cheaper then most other brands.and just because I feel like I didn't have a good experience with a company does not mean anyone else will

Thanks for your opinion on a machine but as I stated in the original post after a couple years of research on TM's and following this board I have decided to go with the Amtex Inferno. The price point for the machine is about the same if not less than the EZ. Thanks again!

Charles P.

Aug 29, 2012
Real Name
charles payne
Charles you won't be disappointed with your AMTEX inferno or the support you get from Ben. Ben started out as a carpet cleaner first and foremost, and that's
where he learned what it takes and what we need to get the job done. He makes such a great machine that he left the cleaning side of the business to build the bests machines in the business. Since you have spoken with him on the phone, you know that he has a passion for what he does and the machines that he builds. There are plenty of TM manufacturers that WISH they built their machines as well as AMTEX, and had the loyal following of satisfied customers that Ben at AMTEX has.

Go with the Turbo Hybrid for hard surface cleaning, Tile Master for tile and grout cleaning, and whatever
chems you need from a local source if available. That way you don't have to stock a ton, but have easy quick access when you need something.

Thanks Randy I am excited and know I am making the right choice. Ben spent 30 minutes on the phone with me really understanding what I am trying to do and was not pushy or in a hurry to make a sell. I am currently a Recruiter in the Army but am also a helicopter mechanic so my research on TM machines has been focused on which machines had the least amount of moving parts but also performed the best and the Inferno fits that bill. The more moving parts and electronics you have going on in any machine including helicopters the more of a chance something is going to go wrong. Thanks for your input!

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Thanks for your opinion on a machine but as I stated in the original post after a couple years of research on TM's and following this board I have decided to go with the Amtex Inferno. The price point for the machine is about the same if not less than the EZ. Thanks again!

I don't think you are fully understanding. With an Amtex (good machine btw) you have to pay 100% up front, that isn't the case for machines (like an EZ) or other machines.

So with all your money tied up in your machine, you will have no money to get customers and build a business. This is one of the biggest mistakes a young company can make and if you are smart you would not dump all your money into the equipment aspect of your business. You even said yourself that you will have no money after you buy your machine.. so may want to reconsider that mistake.

Charles P.

Aug 29, 2012
Real Name
charles payne
I do understand. I am not going to finance anything. I have set aside additional funds for advertising ect. I do still have full time employment right nwe too. Iwill keep what you said in mind though thanks

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
I do understand. I am not going to finance anything. I have set aside additional funds for advertising ect. I do still have full time employment right nwe too. Iwill keep what you said in mind though thanks

Cool cool.. I was more talking about paying 100% up front for your equipment.. I've been in the industry now for 15 years and spending to much out the gate on equipment is the number 1 killer of a new business. Just think you are dropping over $10k for a machine when you don't have any customers to use it on and because of that it will take you much longer if ever to quit your full time job. Not saying that is GOING to happen to you, but its been repeated more than you might think..

Thank you for your service too, I truly hope your biz works out for you..

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
When you are ready to start your new business and have purchased your first truckmount, let me know and I will send you a few boxes of products to get you started. Give me some idea about the type of customers you will target and the work you expect to do.

Be sure to try out the SX-15 tile tool. You can watch the YouTube videos and see that it gets the floor drier and cleaner than competing tools.

Reactions: Mojo Rising