What are the best Natural carpet cleaning solutions & presprays on the market? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What are the best Natural carpet cleaning solutions & presprays on the market?

Wat

Mar 7, 2018
Real Name
Jennifer Watson
New to carpet and tile cleaning! While we are starting off we are using the standard chemicals but we really want to move towards an all-natural cleaning service (or at least more natural) while still getting the job done quickly. What are the best all-natural products on the market?

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
There is no standard for "natural" cleaners. There are standards for "green" cleaners. Third party approving organizations in our industry include Green Seal and EPA DfE (Safer Choice). We have a manufacturing standard for products that we make called "Green Balance". We have about 40 products that we make which meet our Green Balance standard, 4 are approved by EPA DfE and 2 are approved by Green Seal.

We need to remember that restoration cleaning which keep carpet, fabrics, etc from being thrown away is a "green" practice no matter what chemical you use. Fluorochemical protectors are not green in their formulation, but when used and applied properly extend the life of the surfaces they protect which again is a "green" practice. Make sure that your focus of "green" is not micro but expands to a macro view recognizing the value of a "green" practice.

Wat

Mar 7, 2018
Real Name
Jennifer Watson
Thanks for
There is no standard for "natural" cleaners. There are standards for "green" cleaners. Third party approving organizations in our industry include Green Seal and EPA DfE (Safer Choice). We have a manufacturing standard for products that we make called "Green Balance". We have about 40 products that we make which meet our Green Balance standard, 4 are approved by EPA DfE and 2 are approved by Green Seal.

We need to remember that restoration cleaning which keep carpet, fabrics, etc from being thrown away is a "green" practice no matter what chemical you use. Fluorochemical protectors are not green in their formulation, but when used and applied properly extend the life of the surfaces they protect which again is a "green" practice. Make sure that your focus of "green" is not micro but expands to a macro view recognizing the value of a "green" practice.
Thanks for the reply. I get what you’re saying that a “green” product is more marketed towards being good for the environment etc., saving the carpet’s lifespan etc. I’m really looking for a natural based product in the sense of non-toxic, safe for pets, newborns, allergies etc. not harmful to humans. And hopefully one that is known to work just as good as any of the other chemicals.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
I would look into Master Blend's Anti allergen lineup. https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CG52GL
https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CG56GL
https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CG50GL

Natural, organic, etc does not mean safe as arsenic fits those categories. Non-toxic is a term thrown around loosely. Currently we do not use that term. Generally to say non-toxic a manufacturer will spend a lot of money (I have heard $250,000 from a raw material supplier) to prove this statement. The "green" third party approval organizations do not let us use the term safe but require safer as you do not know the health of all individuals exposed. If you run into this situation with known sensitivities, I would provide the SDS to the individual's doctor for their approval before you proceed.

My last point is that we know that filthy carpet is not safe so the cleaning process will make it safer. I heard from a day care manager wanting to know if our cleaning products were safe. I responded that we know filthy carpets are not safe. I recommended that she have her carpets cleaned on Friday to allow the carpets to thoroughly dry before Monday morning. At that point all of the volatiles would have evaporated and this is generally the area of concern for people with sensitivities. I would also suggest using little to no fragrance in these situations.