What are the benefits of having a lawyer? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What are the benefits of having a lawyer?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Legal Issues' started by RafaelDavid, Jun 18, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. RafaelDavid

Premium VIP

Feb 16, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Still a newbie and am in the process of writing a bankable business plan. The templet i'm using is asking how much I need for lawyer fees. I'm just curious as to what I may require a lawyer for unless i'm getting sued?? Is there anything they can help me with in particular or that I should have one doing for me??? Thanks for any input.

2. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,172 / 1 / -0
    Its never bad to start a relation with one that knows the liabilities of this business. They can review big contracts for you, help write contracts, help advise you in legal issues you may not have thought of. You won't have the guy on retainer but maybe a 30 minute meeting every quarter and the occasional phone call, if that, just depends on how you set it up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. RafaelDavid

Premium VIP

Feb 16, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Are there any cleaners in Virginia who use lawyers for this? Who would you recommend and how much?

4. tres

tres Active Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +221 / 1 / -0
    If anyone on here says they have a lawyer on retainer or pay for preventative legal services.... I would assume they are full of it

5. RafaelDavid

Premium VIP

Feb 16, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Probably. But reviewing a contract is something I would pay for to know it's done right. Just looking for a one time service fee.

6. tres

tres Active Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +221 / 1 / -0
    There are some good sites out there to buy construction contract forms

We paid $450 to get a full set of contracts for construction jobs from a legal company

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Mrs.SpeedySteamer Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Ratings:
    +4,100 / 4 / -0
    If you're looking for a contract I recommend staying away from the online sites. Many contracts need to be based on State laws. Consider going to a local law school instead and signing up for free consultations. That was what we did most of the time. Plus, sometimes they'll use your contract as homework and it will get graded by the professor. Very cost savings. More than one law student would like at a contract, and would receive feedback from the professor. Win Win. Oh and did I mention that it was free? I visited a lot of the local schools when my husband and I were on a budget...

Law Schools
    Beauty School
    Vet School
    Dental School

Usually low cost or free...

We also had a lawyer on the side - not on retainer. But he was our go to lawyer when accidents happened, when we got sued for copyright infringement. ETC. You know, the fun stuff...

~Good Luck
    Tiffany

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. justlife

justlife Active Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0
    I've been in this industry for over 10 years and I never had to get a lawyer once!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Top Poster of Month

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,687 / 87 / -0
    3 things every business person needs;

1-Great attorney
    2-Great accountant
    3-Great insurance agent

• Like Like x 2
  10. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,172 / 1 / -0
    Hopefully we can all go 10 years and never need one, but its still not a bad plan to have the number of a good one on hand just in case

• Like Like x 2