What am I missing / doing wrong?

blackscell

Mar 21, 2019
Real Name
mike sadal
Hi guys,

Still new to polishing, and cannot fathom certain things.

For example; if I check out his video, he gets shine when ending up with the 3000 grit pad.

When I end up at the 3000 grit my marble looks completely dull with no shine whatsoever, its as matte as is can be.

Then I go over it with the L5, when doing this it is still matte. When I go over it with water and a white pad then the shine comes through.

I find this process way too long and I have some orange peeling here and there so I am not so happy and would like to redo all my steps.

Should I change to another powder? Why is there no shine after the 3k pad?

Appreciate any tips, helpful ideas and product recommendations for redoing the whole floor.

This is how I did it before:
800/1500/3000/L5/white pad + water.

Result is in the attachment, if you look closely you can see alot of small scratches/dents. Does not look smooth at all.

Attachments

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
A lot depends on the stone. One thing I’ve learned is that every stone job is different. You can use your process on one job and get fantastic results then go to the next job and do the exact same process and only see mediocre results. It depends on the condition of the stone that you are starting with, how hard or soft the stone is, and how well it was installed (is it smooth from tile to tile or is there a bunch of lippage?).

Are you using added weights for your floor machine? The machine alone is not heavy enough.

Have you ever worked with diamond resins? A lot of times resins will work better than D.I.P. pads do. You could use the 220, 400, and 800 resins followed by your powder polish and probably see better results. If there are scratches in the floor resins are a must. DIP pads can remove light etching but are not aggressive enough to remove scratches. If the scratches are deep you will want to drop down and start with the 120 resin before going to the 220 and subsequent grits. Be sure to charge extra for the “repair and restoration” you are performing.

Some jobs will have such horrible lippage that resins are out of the question leaving you to have to use the DIP pads.

Like I said in the beginning, every floor is unique and will present different challenges to you.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
A lot depends on the stone. One thing I’ve learned is that every stone job is different. You can use your process on one job and get fantastic results then go to the next job and do the exact same process and only see mediocre results. It depends on the condition of the stone that you are starting with, how hard or soft the stone is, and how well it was installed (is it smooth from tile to tile or is there a bunch of lippage?).

Are you using added weights for your floor machine? The machine alone is not heavy enough.

Have you ever worked with diamond resins? A lot of times resins will work better than D.I.P. pads do. You could use the 220, 400, and 800 resins followed by your powder polish and probably see better results. If there are scratches in the floor resins are a must. DIP pads can remove light etching but are not aggressive enough to remove scratches. If the scratches are deep you will want to drop down and start with the 120 resin before going to the 220 and subsequent grits. Be sure to charge extra for the “repair and restoration” you are performing.

Some jobs will have such horrible lippage that resins are out of the question leaving you to have to use the DIP pads.

Like I said in the beginning, every floor is unique and will present different challenges to you.
You just got the best advice anyone can give you on this topic, I have done Entrance halls, kitchens, rooms, dining rooms and such (probably 200 or more times) never a anything bigger than 600 sq ft... so I have two 2500 halls and a 5000 sq ft halls coming up but I think I can do it just from my experience..
but as Todd said, every floor is different , Take your time on them and also make sure you are charging for you time because you can waste a lot of time honing floors. and you better make sure you charge accordingly, because the work isn't cheap and if you under charge for it,, that's on you

blackscell

Mar 21, 2019
Real Name
mike sadal
Thanks for the answers. The job is my home, I am not an actual polisher.

I have a handpolisher with diamond resin pads, I tried to practise on a single tile but the result is exactly the same. I used 100/500/800/1500/3000 with the handpolisher.

I hate to see the tiles in daylight cause it does not have that smooth effect which I am trying to achieve. The shine is there, but not perfect.

I do not use added weights. I have a victor 450 europe 400rpm machine.

The tiles are completely even, no lippage here.

blackscell

Mar 21, 2019
Real Name
mike sadal
Can I use 4" resin pads on a white 17", buffing pad? My machine has no watertank, its at 400 rpm, is this a problem with resins?