Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Seems when I ask cleaners I get many answers to this question. Maybe we can come to some sort of consensus. So what’s your take on up-selling?

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Don't be pushy. Don't sell what they don't need. Just offer what you have and let them decide. And be honest when they ask how well it works or if they really need it.

If I'm doing a yearly wash on some clean carpets that hardly see any traffic, that's that. If I'm doing a smelly house with 5 kids and some pets that like to have accidents everywhere, you know I'm going to go for the carpet protector, deodorizer, and urine treatment.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
once we got employees, we had a custom receipt made which has a line item for all our services (at that time it was Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning, Protector and Odor Removal) then there were two blank lines for things we could fill in as needed. We just filled in each line and let the customer pick which ones they wanted. Kinda like putting a menu in front of them. So there was no upselling per se.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Don't be pushy. Don't sell what they don't need. Just offer what you have and let them decide. And be honest when they ask how well it works or if they really need it.

If I'm doing a yearly wash on some clean carpets that hardly see any traffic, that's that. If I'm doing a smelly house with 5 kids and some pets that like to have accidents everywhere, you know I'm going to go for the carpet protector, deodorizer, and urine treatment.

^^^^ this nails it

Honesty and genuinely needed suggested add ons have gotten me more repeats and referrals than anything.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Same, honesty and genuine. I actually made a lady cry the other day, she lived in low income housing and had already been burned by Oxi Fresh. I knocked money off her bill and gave her a free bottle of Unchained. So I upsold her for free lol

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
^^^^ this nails it

Honesty and genuinely needed suggested add ons have gotten me more repeats and referrals than anything.
At my first job carpet cleaning we got some pretty great commissions on upsells. Average 10% of anything you sell and the top seller for the month gets another 10% of their whole month total. For a few months it was a constant battle between me and another guy for top spot, but I refused to let him win because he used high pressure sales and intimidation and lying to get them and I was a genuine nice guy. It got to the point most people were between 400 and 800 for the month and we were both hovering around 3000. Scary how much he got from being dishonest.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I would offer carpet protector but felt indifferent about it and stopped. I loved the higher tickets and profit but was unsure if it was a working solution to the problem.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I would offer carpet protector but felt indifferent about it and stopped. I loved the higher tickets and profit but was unsure if it was a working solution to the problem.

Here's my experience, it DOES work, question is for how long? Nylon is more absorbent and has bigger acid dye pockets so it works for a long time. Polyester ? It works until you clean it, then it's gone.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Here's my experience, it DOES work, question is for how long? Nylon is more absorbent and has bigger acid dye pockets so it works for a long time. Polyester ? It works until you clean it, then it's gone.

Which do you use?

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
My $.02 is you gotta have it to offer but at least know what kind of carpet the customer has to support your recommendation.

Talk with them their plans for the flooring. Nylon gets a bigger recommendation most cases than poly/olefin. But leave it to customer to decide. Each situation is different,.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Which do you use?

I've used ScotchGard, Teflon, and Rob's brand. I prefer Rob's brand quite honestly, it has the least offensive smell, better dilution ratio than ScotchGard, doesn't seem to have black moldy looking crap in it when I open it, and hasn't gunked up my sprayers. Also tested well on the carpet samples.

Reactions: brian3180

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I've used ScotchGard, Teflon, and Rob's brand. I prefer Rob's brand quite honestly, it has the least offensive smell, better dilution ratio than ScotchGard, doesn't seem to have black moldy looking crap in it when I open it, and hasn't gunked up my sprayers. Also tested well on the carpet samples.

Do you use an in-line sprayer or pump up? Dedicated sprayer? Thanks.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I prefer using a battery sprayer like the 3M Multisprayer (but I'm looking for something cheaper). It sprays a consistent 75 PSI, and the fan/atomization of the spray is perfect. The only downside is it tends to drip out of the wand a bit when not using it.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I prefer using a battery sprayer like the 3M Multisprayer (but I'm looking for something cheaper). It sprays a consistent 75 PSI, and the fan/atomization of the spray is perfect. The only downside is it tends to drip out of the wand a bit when not using it.
Could you put a check valve on the wand?

GoClean

Aug 23, 2020
Real Name
Jason McCurry
once we got employees, we had a custom receipt made which has a line item for all our services (at that time it was Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning, Protector and Odor Removal) then there were two blank lines for things we could fill in as needed. We just filled in each line and let the customer pick which ones they wanted. Kinda like putting a menu in front of them. So there was no upselling per se.
Excellent idea and approach!