What’s your pick? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What’s your pick?

BizNick08

Oct 30, 2019
Real Name
Nick N
This is for all the industry veterans out there willing to share those juicy experience tips! To all that already have on TMF, thank you! All of us lurkers appreciate it very much!

Q. What in your opinion would be the best area in the U.S. to start a mold remediation and water damage company?

Thanks for any input.

BizNick08

Oct 30, 2019
Real Name
Nick N
Thanks for the reply, I can appreciate that and also agree. Unfortunately that’s not really possible for me. Since I got out of high school I’ve helped to build a mold & water company with my family in my current area, I don’t have any wish to compete with them.

EVABIZSOLUTIONS

Nov 12, 2019
Real Name
Jennifer King
Based on our client-base of restoration companies, the most profitable water and mold restoration areas tend to be: Florida (of course), California, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington state. Climate and population play key roles in those areas.

Reactions: BizNick08

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Just establish something an hour away or so and it will be familiar. Be close enough to help each other if needed. Every region is different. Come to Texas.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the reply, I can appreciate that and also agree. Unfortunately that’s not really possible for me. Since I got out of high school I’ve helped to build a mold & water company with my family in my current area, I don’t have any wish to compete with them.
Water damages can happen anywhere - AC units, water heaters, toilets, and kitchen sinks can go kablooey no matter where you live. Mold can also happen in any area where water intrudes into an artificial environment and is not immediately dried.

Mold is more prevalent in warmer, damper states (like our own lovely North and South Carolina) and as such may offer more overall opportunities; however, be aware that some states have started putting actual LAWS on the books regarding mold remediation, so it would behoove you to do some research to find out which states have regulation and whether your new company would be in compliance with those laws.

Warm, humid environments can also make mold more difficult to fight, since it is a natural phenomenon that exists in large quantities outside of buildings - it's hard to "clear" a mold job when spores are floating through the front door every time it's opened.

In short, temperature and humidity levels can give you more of a field to play in - but a good restoration company can succeed anywhere as long as they're aware of any laws in their area.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Just establish something an hour away or so and it will be familiar. Be close enough to help each other if needed. Every region is different. Come to Texas.
I know of a local company that did that very thing for years. One of them lived on the next street from my house. He and I think a brother or 2 each took a different city in SE Missouri. One is about an hour away. I don't know the specifics of their day to day operations, but I'm sure they must have helped one another out on big jobs. They all went under one company name. The one who lived near me passed away, but he did that well before I started back in 1987. I think they all used CDS machines, but not certain about all of them. Pretty sure there were at least 3 involved at 3 separate locations.

Reactions: BizNick08

BizNick08

Oct 30, 2019
Real Name
Nick N
Los Angeles CA
True, although I’m in a good size metro area now so moving away would definitely not offer me as much work. I hear Texas is crazy with mold, a lot of house drywall tear outs, big jobs I guess. Not sure how I would do if I encountered a rattlesnake in a crawl space though Lol.

BizNick08

Oct 30, 2019
Real Name
Nick N
Water damages can happen anywhere - AC units, water heaters, toilets, and kitchen sinks can go kablooey no matter where you live. Mold can also happen in any area where water intrudes into an artificial environment and is not immediately dried.

Mold is more prevalent in warmer, damper states (like our own lovely North and South Carolina) and as such may offer more overall opportunities; however, be aware that some states have started putting actual LAWS on the books regarding mold remediation, so it would behoove you to do some research to find out which states have regulation and whether your new company would be in compliance with those laws.

Warm, humid environments can also make mold more difficult to fight, since it is a natural phenomenon that exists in large quantities outside of buildings - it's hard to "clear" a mold job when spores are floating through the front door every time it's opened.

In short, temperature and humidity levels can give you more of a field to play in - but a good restoration company can succeed anywhere as long as they're aware of any laws in their area.
Very good points and helpful insight. Fortunately and unfortunately I live in one of the highest regulated states in the country that has 5 separate mold licenses lol, good ole NY state, my license should be grandfathered in for other states with mold laws at least.

BizNick08

Oct 30, 2019
Real Name
Nick N
I know of a local company that did that very thing for years. One of them lived on the next street from my house. He and I think a brother or 2 each took a different city in SE Missouri. One is about an hour away. I don't know the specifics of their day to day operations, but I'm sure they must have helped one another out on big jobs. They all went under one company name. The one who lived near me passed away, but he did that well before I started back in 1987. I think they all used CDS machines, but not certain about all of them. Pretty sure there were at least 3 involved at 3 separate locations.
That’s an interesting way to do it, if it works it works!