What’s your answer to “I found someone cheaper”?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
How do you reply to price shoppers, will you do it cheaper and I found someone cheaper?

eZy Watermark_27-11-2020_11-04-25AM.jpg

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I always tell them my benefits vs the cheap. Ph level balance to leave carpet fibers softer vs crunchy, 2-4 hours of dry times vs 2-4 days, cleaning the carpets with high heat and a water softener vs hot tap hard water, tmf friendly cleaners vs cancer causing chemicals/dish soap or laundry detergent. I also offer a free 15 min demo to get rid of the guess work if they are not happy I will leave with no hard feelings, I ask them will the other company offer you a 15 min free demo.

Reactions: PistolPete

Dan The Carpet Man

Mar 24, 2012
california
Real Name
daniel berber
Business Location
United States
I never go below my per room bare minimum, I do offer a 10% discount having said that, I always ask if the cheaper company will be performing the service with a portable, and if they did an in person quote. I ask if I can have the name of the competitor, sometimes they tell me sometimes they don’t, but in my area there’s a couple of companies that are notorious for bait and switch, if they don’t tell me the company, i ask if it’s either one of those companies and I warn them. Most of the time they book with me , sometimes they don’t and they call me later on and tell me that i was right, they they tried to charge them 3 times more what they initially got quoted, sometimes the customer to safe 25 dollars will book with another company,

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
How do you reply to price shoppers, will you do it cheaper and I found someone cheaper?

View attachment 95092

I never know what to say when the customer says "I will call around and see what everyone else is charging". The only thing that statement tells me is that I was the first company they called.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
they get no reply here.

Its like Yelp or Google or anyone trying to sell me advertising. They say that 90 (number made up, but fill it in with anything you already have heard) people in my area did a search on carpet cleaning today so look at all the business Im missing out on. Really? I dont want to clean for everyone. I only want the best customers.

You want to debate price? Forgetaboutit

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
if they are calling around for price, they are assuming that all carpet cleaners are the same. Yes you could spend time trying to educate them and discuss what makes your service different. It depends on what stage your company is in. If you need the work, you spend the time. If you dont need the work, just pass.

same thing with last minute customers. If you need the work, squeeze the in. If you dont, just pass.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
I never know what to say when the customer says "I will call around and see what everyone else is charging". The only thing that statement tells me is that I was the first company they called.

This is not a rejection

They’re asking you for a reason not to call the next guy, they can’t be bothered going elsewhere you almost have them, this is fishing you need a little more wow/jiggle the lure and cut to the chase!

If they were off you and going elsewhere, they would have just said
ok thanks I’ll get back to you

You just have to give them one last reason not to ring someone else,

With quiet confidence because “you’re helping them”
say

If you’re ringing around you will always find someone cheaper....but you won’t find better
Im honest with my price guide and won’t try to squeeze you for anything more, I have the best equipment and do an amazing job, generally I get the stains out the last guy couldn’t....take booking

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
The phone rang
This is the miracle of business • The phone rang

I spent time on my Knees begging for the phone to ring.
• • • I hope to never forget those days.
The point I’m making is • turn that call into a job
• • • professionally • gently • professionally
• • don’t ever, ever, criticize • ever ! ! !

• • • anyone advertising any kind of bait & switch reference • either to commit • OR TO CONTEST • the practice • BOTH disservice the industry.
• • it degrades the industry as a whole

Last edited:

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
If your price reflects the service you perform
• • the “price” should reflect the cost of providing that service with an expected return.
• • The returns may vary • the service does not • usually
• • Are you • • • hometown / Starbucks ? ? ?

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
If your price reflects the service you perform
• • the “price” should reflect the cost of providing that service with an expected return.
• • The returns may vary • the service does not • usually
• • Are you • • • hometown / Starbucks ? ? ?
Sorry ( I mean that ), not trying to be whitty • What I meant was • whatever your equipment used • and obvious other variables
• • • price should never be the reason MY client walks
• • we just need to understand why they do not book!

• • • I won’t make a production about it
• • I will say • I book 98% of calls

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
Exactly what Aussie said , be passionate about your business. Ive had people call back and say even though I'm higher price they are going with me because I was most professional and helpful on the phone

Even when you get a flat out - no thanks
I always say
If I’m the first person you have called or you just prefer to call around, feel free to call me back at the end, I’m more than happy to be honest and help you compare you’re apples
So many times the person would call back at the end and would convert to a sale

Used to knock on doors years ago
Most people hated the “no thanks - get lost door slam” and would just leave. I loved the slam!!!

I would say politely through the door
“How do you know what you’re saying no too, when you haven’t even bothered to look....?”
7/10 times people would open their door
4 to 5/10 times I would sell to that person

Reactions: U. S. Vet.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Lol no i will not do it cheaper. Nor will i match the other guys price if they ask. As SRD said wish them luck and continue on. I dont get into it with them. More than half the time theyll be calling back to see if you'll fix it afterwards lol. And some just accept the job for what it is. They dont think it can be done any better. This goes for all the trades.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Even when you get a flat out - no thanks
I always say
If I’m the first person you have called or you just prefer to call around, feel free to call me back at the end, I’m more than happy to be honest and help you compare you’re apples
So many times the person would call back at the end and would convert to a sale

Used to knock on doors years ago
Most people hated the “no thanks - get lost door slam” and would just leave. I loved the slam!!!

I would say politely through the door
“How do you know what you’re saying no too, when you haven’t even bothered to look....?”
7/10 times people would open their door
4 to 5/10 times I would sell to that person
That’s a 34% success rate • in the door knocking world • it would compare to a 99% fail rate • elevated to the comparable % > • in other words • unheard of

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
This is what you said - a direct quote form your post above :

“ I would say politely through the door
“How do you know what you’re saying no too, when you haven’t even bothered to look....?” “

• • • What I said earlier • not this post
• • You must discover why they have not booked ? ? ?

• • overcome this objective • book !

I sold Porsche / Audi / Jag / Volvo while attending college • Merrysville Porsche Audi

• • • one day the owner ( David Hickman ), called
EVERYBODY ! in his office like there was emergency
• • • he had everyone in a half circle • about 35 - 40 of us • around his desk.

David - Dealership Owner • asked if anyone in the room would give him $100 for the small paper bag he had resting in the center of his desk ? ? ?

• • • he pointed at every single person and asked if they would give him $100 for the bag • no takers
• • • 0 out of 35 - 40 of us in the office said yes.
• • • David opened the bag • pulled out a silver
pen / pencil set in a beautiful case • worth well over $100. He then pulled the set out of case • pulled the molded insert - lined in silk • to reveal a $100 bill in the void. Everyone immediately began excepting his offer.

• • • if they don’t know the value / service advantage / and finally • the direct benefit to the client • and the household environment

• • • you won’t get paid

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
This is what you said - a direct quote form your post above :

“ I would say politely through the door
“How do you know what you’re saying no too, when you haven’t even bothered to look....?” “

• • • What I said earlier • not this post
• • You must discover why they have not booked ? ? ?

• • overcome this objective • book !

I sold Porsche / Audi / Jag / Volvo while attending college • Merrysville Porsche Audi

• • • one day the owner ( David Hickman ), called
EVERYBODY ! in his office like there was emergency
• • • he had everyone in a half circle • about 35 - 40 of us • around his desk.

David - Dealership Owner • asked if anyone in the room would give him $100 for the small paper bag he had resting in the center of his desk ? ? ?

• • • he pointed at every single person and asked if they would give him $100 for the bag • no takers
• • • 0 out of 35 - 40 of us in the office said yes.
• • • David opened the bag • pulled out a silver
pen / pencil set in a beautiful case • worth well over $100. He then pulled the set out of case • pulled the molded insert - lined in silk • to reveal a $100 bill in the void. Everyone immediately began excepting his offer.

• • • if they don’t know the value / service advantage / and finally • the direct benefit to the client • and the household environment

• • • you won’t get paid

It's a good story but also somewhat flawed in a sense.

No reasonable person would give $100 for a paper bag (but I understand his point, if you don't reveal the value no one will pay for it)

On the same token, over the phone, people know ZERO about carpet cleaning. I try to be helpful and I ask, "Have you ever had professional steam cleaning done before?"

If they say no, you can win their business easily by saying, "I understand you will need to call around and compare prices, here are some important questions to ask..."

Biggest question being is, "Does your pricing include XYZ for the cleaning?"

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I don’t even bother asking them anything.....”Thank you for the opportunity and let me know if something changes”.......that’s what’s good about being O/O.....I don’t have to nor need to get every job........when I get someone hung up on price I actually my recommend they call around. Even if you lower your price and they call back another time it’s always a haggle....

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke