What’s the future of direct drive Truckmounts?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What is the future of direct drive TM’s when Chevy stops making their vans and goes to Euro style this year? Will just box trucks be available?

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
If they were smart (wich they usually arent) they would go with either a hydraulic (a good hydraulic) setup or an actual pto that mounts to the tranny pto plate like every other industry in the world.
They should team up with an established pto manufacturer thats been doing them for years like spicer or dana and put something out that works every day no matter what

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If they were smart (wich they usually arent) they would go with either a hydraulic (a good hydraulic) setup or an actual pto that mounts to the tranny pto plate like every other industry in the world.
They should team up with an established pto manufacturer thats been doing them for years like spicer or dana and put something out that works every day no matter what
See. I knew that you knew your sht. 9-10 man ;)

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I agree with SRD they need to go to hydraulic and make changes.

Direct drive will always be popular up north...BUTLER.....

In Texas I know of no one within 200-300 around AUSTIN that has one....
and all the distributers I talk to in Texas do not carry them or don't know how to work on them........

mainly because of overheating the van in 115 degree texas heat and humid coast areas.

All the distributers tell me the same thing...
Skide-ins get better heat.....and more vacuum......

Reactions: rob allen

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I like the idea of a direct drive electric motor like the xdrive, electric power and combustion engine power are two different animals.
I would almost guarantee the pto manufacturers that have been doing it for years prob already have a setup that would be amazing for our application and they prob have it for just about any vehicle we would use in our industry. If they dont i would bet they could come up with something thats amazing pretty quick

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Either that or switch to a 3 phase electric motor like the XDrive units with the generator under the hood.

I’ve been following cleaners who have X Drives for couple years now. Interesting concept.

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I truly think if someone would develope a pto driven machine that was fairly easy to install that gave someone the option of running say a 47 up to a 59 had pressure washing capability (and i mean real pressure washing capabilities) that ran at least 240 degrees or more and it wasnt priced out of reach they would take over our industry

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I’ve been following cleaners who have X Drives for couple years now. Interesting concept.
Xdrive is a cool concept but what are the advantages over a traditional pto other than torque from being electric motor driven?
I may be wrong but it seams like having more parts, more electrical, more complicated design would outweigh the advantages of having more torque vs a traditional well built pto system

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Xdrive is a cool concept but what are the advantages over a traditional pto other than torque from being electric motor driven?
I may be wrong but it seams like having more parts, more electrical, more complicated design would outweigh the advantages of having more torque vs a traditional well built pto system

I think the advantage is not violating the warranty by avoiding direct engine components.

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I think the advantage is not violating the warranty by avoiding direct engine components.
Not sure but ford chevy dodge have pto plates right on the transmission if it would void their warranty why would they have it designed into their trannys? Plus if you buy say a new wrecker pto doesnt void original factory warranty why would it on a carpet cleaning van?
Nevermind didnt realize you were refering to the xdrive my bad

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Don't forget wrecker trucks are using big trucks. Our industry vans. That's why I am working on these...

IMG_9737.JPG

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
IMG_9738.JPG

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
No drive shaft seems to be a major advantage - I'd still like to use one and try it out before seriously thinking of buying it. As in most things, there is always a trade off somewhere.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
No drive shaft seems to be a major advantage - I'd still like to use one and try it out before seriously thinking of buying it. As in most things, there is always a trade off somewhere.
I think one of the trade offs was the side difference with it being a bit bigger and the tank lid a little more set back. It's a small one but just one I noticed since a lot of people like the Hydramaster for the tiny footprint.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Unless Nissan gets in the game, the future looks bleak except for Isuzu like Aerotech style trucks.