Weekly rate for dehumidifiers | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Weekly rate for dehumidifiers

JRJ ProClean

Jul 16, 2019
Real Name
Onepoundfish
I have always charged daily rates for fans and dehumidifiers. Should I give a discount or charge weekly rates when the equipment is needed for and extended period?

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Only if the customer is paying out of pocket. For insurance companies daily is usually the way to go even over a week. My old boss had a 3 day rule for self pay though. You only get charged for 3 days of equipment even if it takes longer because trying to pull that money out of pocket can be a nightmare.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Dehumidifiers are seldom needed for a week or more on restoration jobs. If they were on a job that long, I first checked to be sure I was not doing something wrong that prolonged the drying time, dehus not working properly or such.

A few times people wanted dehu for other reasons that insurance did not cover. My weekly rate for them was same as 5 days rental. Often this was setup, check after one day and then leave them running for whatever reason. If I did not have to monitor each day, they might get a lower rate.

If legitimately needed for an insurance claim, I charged daily rate no matter the length of time. Did monitor each day.

Reactions: Paradise305

JRJ ProClean

Jul 16, 2019
Real Name
Onepoundfish
Thanks for the response! I agree- I usually only charge for a few days if its out of pocket and I will figure out a max that will work, I think I have a tendency to under charge. I just finished a job where the basement flooded because of a heavy rain, everything was dry-I went to get my equipment and some areas were wet again but due to a separate a/c issue. So in total some of my equipment was there for ten days. Thanks again-for me pricing has always been the hardest part of doing this.

Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Bradford Hall
JRJ ProClean,

I agree with some of the other posters, charge the insurance carrier daily. Don't forget to charge for set up and monitoring of the equipment as well. If the insurance company wants a break, tell them you can give them a break after they start referring jobs to you.

If its a self-pay, I usually cut it off at 3 days, with the stipulation they have to keep the equipment "on." I have had customers shut it off when they sleep or because it's too loud or too hot. I also had a hoarder keep my equipment for 4 weeks. Usually, it's not a problem, but if the occupant is a tenant it tends to be more of a problem since they are not paying for the bill and are the ones being disturbed.

It also may be wise to tie your 3-day cut off to their invoice being paid off. Remember, if its a self-pay and you already did the work and maybe got your 50 % upfront, the homeowner's main priority is fixing the drywall especially if they are on a limited budget which is the case most of the time. I have been stiffed a bunch of times for that last payment with self pays.

Respectfully,

Brad Hall

Reactions: Scott W