Waxing epoxy floor?

iWILLcleanMontreal

Apr 10, 2011
Real Name
William
Business Location
Canada
Hello there to all you pros,

I have a client who has had their floors "epoxied" with color in them. This was done approx 3 - 5 years ago. It now has no shine to it except where there is no foot traffic.

Has anyone ever waxed an epoxy floor? I've laid down some wax last week to test it out. Are the rules the same for waxing epoxy? I can see where I did not lay it down evenly (like it really shows - just for the record I've been doing this on VCT for 15+ years and have even waxed a wood floor with great results) and am worried about doing the whole place (7500+ square feet) and getting questionable results. I put down 4 coats of wax. I'm trying to sum up the uneven finish to my fault because I used too much wax per coat (I taped off the areas I was testing) but I've never seen this before. Help? Advice on how to do this properly would be appreciated. Really thin coats? A lot less wax because it is not a porous floor?

Thank you all in advance.

RoyS

May 26, 2011
Real Name
Roy Sanders
I have not done it myself before but I have a friend who does epoxy floors. I know I have heard him say that he always puts on floor finish after the epoxy. The only thing that I don't know is if you can just put any type of finish down or if it has to be a special type (if that makes since).

I recently talked to a company about what type of finish to use on a decorative overlay and he wanted to know all kinds of stuff about the product used before he could give me an answer. Things like if it was a 1 part or 2 part epoxy and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

RoyS

May 26, 2011
Real Name
Roy Sanders
If you are doing 7500sq. ft then the cost to put another coat of clear on is going to be high. IMO it is also not needed. You are just putting epoxy on top of epoxy. I think that is just a waste of money myself. But to each their own I guess. The only other thing I could suggest is either find out what kind of epoxy it is and get ahold of the manufacturer or maybe go over to DirtyGrout.com and see what those guys have to say. That may be the best route to take.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
itmc_bg - would putting a coat of clear last a long time? Is it normal for an epoxy floor to lose all of its' shine after a couple of years?

NOT and expert but I have done several floors...I can tell you urethane floors are WAAAAAY more durable that epoxy floors...product costs alot more but it is worth it.

I bought the kits from the manufacturer Veron in Phoenix....at it's about 4-5 times the money as epoxy. You still put down an epoxy primer but then you apply the colorized urethane on top. I used one of there high density products and I didn't even have to put a clear coat on it.

As far as apply a clear coat on afterwards you will have to re-prep the floor or it will not bond.

Veron did tell me you can apply floor finish to epoxy or urethane floors...basically maintain it just like a VCT floor....

I did on floor where I filled all the expansion joints in a 4 car garage with an rubberized epoxy resin...let it dry then bladed it off flush with the floor. Then did the floor coating. Man that looked good looking across a 4 car garage the looked like glass and with no joints for crap to accumulate in when cleaning...

All of this is pretty much what I have heard....so check your facts

itmc_bg

Dec 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
procleaningteam.com
Real Name
Michael Nicholas
Business Location
United States
itmc_bg - would putting a coat of clear last a long time? Is it normal for an epoxy floor to lose all of its' shine after a couple of years?

It will last way longer than the regular VCT finish. It will change the color if it's on direct sunlight to yellowish. About the shine I don't think so.
You can try rust-o-leum Sierra Performance S40. it's a water based epoxy easy to work, dry fast and has really good shine( has milky look, but when it start drying will clear out)
You can apply it with regular roller, for the 7500 + Sq.ft. I will use 18" roller, I would say 1 coat of it will be equal to 4-5 coats of VCT finish as a thickness.
1K offers you urethane coating witch is very durable as well, you can use it also.
VCT finish it worn out very easy if you use aggressive chems. Depending of how they maintain it and if aggressive chems are used, VCT finish can look very bad in short time.
Hope that helps!

iWILLcleanMontreal

Apr 10, 2011
Real Name
William
Business Location
Canada
Since I don't do epoxy or urethane I mentioned to the client it might be worth it to get a quote from a professional who does this. I've offered and am now testing the wax to see how long it lasts without any maintenance (no spray buffing and who knows what the cleaning staff is doing). The client is happy with the original shine. I just have to confirm with her how much it would cost to maintain the "wet look". I'm waiting to see how long the original test will last before doing so.

GrimeKings

Jul 3, 2012
Real Name
Mario Rodriguez
I was called today about doing a trip and wax on vct, never done it before but have seen some do it. What I have seen is a stripper used from local hardware store with a rented machine, then clean floor with clean mop then let dry and apply wax from( hardware store) to vct with clean mop. Let thes coat drt and apply second coat. Is this the correct way? It seems to be lacking something am I missing a step or is their a better process for stripping and waxing VCT?