wax in the joint

carpetcleaner68104

Nov 9, 2016
Real Name
Nick Steps
Hello techs. i have this floor that we believe the real estate agent tried to put a wax shine on a red brick floor with concrete grout. i was able to use a stripper to remove all the wax on the brick however as you can see by the pic its still in the joints. i used a old school rotovac with brushes and didnt budge. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20161108_100247.jpg
    20161108_100247.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 214

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
This will not be an easy job. Use a good quality stripper, possibly what has already worked on the surface of the brick. Then you need a way to get down into the grout line.

Some options include one of @aloha one 's brushes, maybe the Dirt Demon; or a 175 RPM floor machine with brushes. You want bristles of several different lengths (3 is standard). Tynex or Nylogrit / ZimGrit bristles bristles. The Nylogrit gives you more abrasion. They will need to be as aggressive as possible without harming the surface of the brick. A brush made for stripping should do well. Check out Braun or Malish or Zimmerman brush companies as sources.

Reactions: WizCleanPdx

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
This will not be an easy job. Use a good quality stripper, possibly what has already worked on the surface of the brick. Then you need a way to get down into the grout line.

Some options include one of @aloha one 's brushes, maybe the Dirt Demon; or a 175 RPM floor machine with brushes. You want bristles of several different lengths (3 is standard). Tynex or Nylogrit / ZimGrit bristles bristles. The Nylogrit gives you more abrasion. They will need to be as aggressive as possible without harming the surface of the brick. A brush made for stripping should do well. Check out Braun or Malish or Zimmerman brush companies as sources.
I use stripper and a single jet gekko wand a lot of times for wax removal from grout. I usually go pretty high on the psi working around 1000-1500 psi.

Definitely test this out on one brick in the corner to make sure the pressure does not cause any scaring on the brick. Let it fully dry before passing final judgement as to if this will work on the brick without harming it. I think it will be ok but test it to be sure.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
If you have a commercial steamer I was able to blast through grout wax with mine and a nylon brush attachment. Thank the maker cause I was on my 4th pass with a 175, brush pad and way too much stripper trying to completely clean the grout.

Reactions: Scott W

Tony from Chicago

Nov 1, 2016
Real Name
Anthony Almerigi
Franklin makes a product called quarry tile cleaner. We use it in dirty kitchens , bathrooms, coffee shops etc. After you apply it we let it sit about 10 minutes, scrub with a malgrit brush and extract . Then we high pressure rinse. The quarry tile cleaner is an acid so I always test first to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums