Water water everywhere

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
We got about 30 inches of snow earlier this week, on top of the 30+ inches we already had. Then the temp went up to the 40's with rain on top of it yesterday and then its been in the upper 40's and sunny today. I'm getting calls about flooding. I'm not really set up for water damage and restoration but I went ahead and told a few people I can do water extraction from the floors in some situations, they will have to find someone that can do the actual restoration but at least I can get standing water off the floors until a restoration company can get in there. I'm charging $50 per hour. I did 3 places today, an hour per. 2 were garages that had less than an inch of standing water. I used a Kiavac (me best unit for picking up large quantities of water) to remove the water and worked to remove the ice from in front of the doors that was causing the water to back up into the garage. An hour at each site with one guy asking me to come back as water was still coming in (he's in a bad flood zone and says this kind of thing happens every year when the snow starts to melt, won't stop till the snows all gone). One place is a business that has a crack in the foundation so one hallway floods. about a 200 sq ft area of CGD squishy with water. An hour there with a carpet wand on the Kiavac pulled 10 gallons out. Left a fan there and will be back tonight and again tomorrow to remove more water.

I'm recommending people call Stat Restoration but I'm finding a lot of people don't want to do more than get the bulk of the water off the floors until this thaw is done so I might be doing quite a bit of this kind of thing. I feel like I should be charging more but for just sucking up water I don't know what I should charge. Also, if I leave a fan somewhere what should I charge for that?

I've stressed that all I'm doing is removing the bulk water from exposed areas and that water will still be trapped in walls and floors and that will need to be addressed by a company that specializes in water damage. Is there anything else I should be warning people of?

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Should be charging $100/hr and make sure you note on the invoice it is extraction only. Also look into taking a water damage class in the near future and making more money.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Yep, wrote that very clearly on the invoice. Last thing I want is someone calling me in a few weeks pissed because of mildew and mold. I went into one place this evening and after 30 minutes of watching my Kiavac suck up water I thought oh what the hell and told the guy it would cost $150 for the water extraction. He handed me $150 in cash without hesitation and had nothing but thanks to go with it. Any further jobs though I think I'll just do $100 per hour.
I got a stack of business cards for a local restoration company and am going to start leaving them with people as kind of further emphasis of my disclaimer that this is an extraction only service and further work will be needed to address water damage.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Good experience for those of us who don't do this regularly. I was just looking at dehumidifiers and wondering if I should invest in some big ones for the day it all floods. We get 80-110 inches of rain a year here.

Wec

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
dustin denton
If you get floods on a regular basis

Take a water damage course and get certified with iirc first

Then go to the advance water damage class

Then buy a good moisture meter and if you can a ir camera

And get all your paperwork together

In this industry the right paper work and meters and using them in the correct way is more important than anything else

Then you can start buying the equipment in amounts you can easily afford start small buy more equipment only when you can justify the cost

Having a lot of equipment in the shop just setting there collecing dirt will not help you in anyway

Sent from my Nexus 6 using TMF Forums mobile app