Water tank filled up while machine was connected directly to garden hose. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Water tank filled up while machine was connected directly to garden hose.

Pakman

Feb 5, 2018
Real Name
Justin Easterling
I have a slew of problems that started yesterday and I'm thinking there may be one smoking gun. 1. While connected directly to garden hose I noticed that my fresh water tank was filling up. My temperature would also not exceed 140-145. I disconnected the hose and connected to the holding tank and suddenly my temperature returned to normal. 2. My vacuum port pours lots of water once machine is turned off. 3. I'm noticing that my chemical metering gauge hovers around 2 gpm when I'm not pressing the valve. I'm thinking a valve is stuck open somewhere.. possibly a solenoid. Headed home to check it out, but wondering if anyone has any ideas.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Do you have your thermal relief valve going into your fresh water tank or your high temp solenoid? My guess is your thermal relief valve has gone bad and is stuck in the open position. Must be something to do with your particular setup. I keep my thermal relief going to the fresh water tank. If mine does go out it just continues to dump into the tank and I will lose some heat. If the high pressure solenoid goes out I lose a LOT of heat and it fills my waste tank up pretty quick.

Pakman

Feb 5, 2018
Real Name
Justin Easterling
Wouldn't that also cause water to dump out of the vacuum inlet when I shut the machine down?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
2 & 3 are concerning. Water pouring from the vac port? Chems being pulled when not called for depends on the style of introduction to the system. TM type and age would be helpful in troubleshooting.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
2 & 3 are concerning. Water pouring from the vac port? Chems being pulled when not called for depends on the style of introduction to the system. TM type and age would be helpful in troubleshooting.

Reactions: Pakman

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Wouldn't that also cause water to dump out of the vacuum inlet when I shut the machine down?
Not on my machine. Thermal valves normally stay closed until they reach the temp that they're stated to open at. Mine is a 180 degree valve so when the water in my water box reaches nearly 180 degrees it will dump a minute or 2 into the fresh water tank. Most of the time when they go bad they remain open or at least partially open so they dump all the time. Only seen one remain shut since the late 90's. I don't know how else that water could get from your machine into the fresh water tank. You might have to take some pics or give some more info on it.

Reactions: Pakman

Pakman

Feb 5, 2018
Real Name
Justin Easterling
I have a Bridgepoint Systems unit... so yeah it's old. 5100 hrs but is in good shape and has been well maintained. All of this just hit at one time! I'm about to start working on it now. I've never done any rerouting for thermal relief, but will see if I can identify the mod on my unit.

Pakman

Feb 5, 2018
Real Name
Justin Easterling
Good reliable machine. I'm traveling, but I'll look into it when I get a chance tonight and tomorrow.
Thanks Jim! I appreciate it. I just noticed suds in my freshwater holding tank. I guess it's possible I have a stuck check valve at the pump. Somehow that flow could make it to the holding tank? Also noticed that when I move my thermostat switch the chemical meter sometimes moves. Think I will try descaling.

Reactions: Jim Davisson