Water stain on carpet left over from flooding. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Water stain on carpet left over from flooding.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Hey guys, so got a call from an out of town Disaster clean up company, I frequently do small carpet cleaning jobs for them(like if they drag mud into a room while fixing other stuff in the house)

Got a call asking me to clean a basement area, they had a fresh water flood from a sink and they came out and dried/w.e they did. The carpets however have water staining present he stated.

I wont see it till i get there Tomorrow afternoon, Was thinking light standard pre mix and an acid rinse with a fan for faster drying would be a good starting point. Dont see water staining too often. What do you guys hit it with normally? Carpets not a wool or anything(At least as far as they knew)

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Bring some hydrogen peroxide encap with you and some cotton bonnets. For in case acid rinse fails. It will probably go away as you clean but when it dries the line shows again. I might even be tempted to skip extraction and go straight to low moisture cleaning in an area as a test to cut to the chase. Speed dry so you can results. If it worked then run with it. Doing the whole thing at once reminds me of that saying "it like watching paint dry" lol yeah ive sat there watching it dry

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Right on, ill try the encap first and see how it turns out! Thanks.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I think all peroxide based encaps for the most part are good for hwe. So if you have to you can still go that route. Might need defoamer if mixed heavy as they can be foamy when mixed for vlm.

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
Hey guys, so got a call from an out of town Disaster clean up company, I frequently do small carpet cleaning jobs for them(like if they drag mud into a room while fixing other stuff in the house)

Got a call asking me to clean a basement area, they had a fresh water flood from a sink and they came out and dried/w.e they did. The carpets however have water staining present he stated.

I wont see it till i get there Tomorrow afternoon, Was thinking light standard pre mix and an acid rinse with a fan for faster drying would be a good starting point. Dont see water staining too often. What do you guys hit it with normally? Carpets not a wool or anything(At least as far as they knew)
RSF Cotton and Linen shampoo will remove browning from a flood. Just removed some on Monday. It disappeared on contact. I rinsed and then encapped and then an air mover. Didn’t need a bonnet or actual browning stain remover.

Reactions: wandwizard

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
You could always put some Perrier on a cotton towel and blot it.
Or
you could flood it with a germ killer such as h202, rinse and claw it then dry it

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Bring some hydrogen peroxide encap with you and some cotton bonnets. For in case acid rinse fails. It will probably go away as you clean but when it dries the line shows again. I might even be tempted to skip extraction and go straight to low moisture cleaning in an area as a test to cut to the chase. Speed dry so you can results. If it worked then run with it. Doing the whole thing at once reminds me of that saying "it like watching paint dry" lol yeah ive sat there watching it dry
Agree,,, the less h20 the better

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
So came, carpet had some staining but did not look severe, Used peroxide-encap on it, and told the Homeowners son(Adult) who was watching the place to let me know in the morning if anything came back or any smell remained(It had all but disappeared when i was there and looked to be drying well). Tried calling the following day but got no answer and didn't hear back, assumed all was well until today when the Company called stating the home owners had returned yesterday and there was still some smell and water staining left. (They left a message)

I called the home owners and told them I would be there first thing in the morning. Then called the company back and told him I had them booked for the morning. They were pretty upset about it, just told the guy if I had known there was an issue I would have been there the day of. Live and learn I guess.

Hoping a good flush with HWE, and an acid rinse does the trick this round.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I normally use a citric acid-based browning treatment on those as well as an acid rinse. I just mix up the browning treatment according to how much I need for the job in a small pump up or even a trigger sprayer. I virtually always leave a fan or fans to dry the area quickly too since wicking from the pad only happens when the carpet or pad is still damp. I suspect like @Rick J that there was still moisture present. I always take a moisture probe and check the area. Never assume it's dry. Applying a good odorcide or anti-microbial to the area helps eliminate odor concerns. I've used Odorcide Fresh Scent and Proliminator with excellent results. I've also found that olefin Berbers are particularly a bear to deal with since they wick like mad if there's any moisture whatsoever still in the carpet. Basements definitely tend to stay damp much longer from flooding and you need to make sure there's plenty of air circulation.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If there is a smell , there is most likely still moisture present.

needs to get completely dry , both for the smell, as well as the wicking.
Very much agree here. The smell alone would indicate that there's still microbial growth going on. Meaning, the moisture is still present.

Meaning, I really hope this doesn't turn into a fight between you the cleaner and a restoration company that perhaps did not complete their part of the job.

Reactions: keep it clean

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
So arrived, Carpet didn't have any stains, there was a lamp that was in front of the light causing a shadow in front of the door, turned on the lamp and the "stain" Went away like magic. There was a small odor, however the lady told me they had stored items they had dried in boxes right beside the room, and that that area smells as well.

To make her happy I deodorized the area after I cleaned the already clean looking carpet, called the WDR company and informed him, did a walk through with her, smelt great, looked great, she was happy. See if they have any other issues.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
So arrived, Carpet didn't have any stains, there was a lamp that was in front of the light causing a shadow in front of the door, turned on the lamp and the "stain" Went away like magic. There was a small odor, however the lady told me they had stored items they had dried in boxes right beside the room, and that that area smells as well.

To make her happy I deodorized the area after I cleaned the already clean looking carpet, called the WDR company and informed him, did a walk through with her, smelt great, looked great, she was happy. See if they have any other issues.
Hate to admit it, but I have chased shadows , and light refracted through crystal etc. ;)

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Hate to admit it, but I have chased shadows , and light refracted through crystal etc. ;)
I bet that's happened to most carpet cleaners at one time or another if you've been at it for long. Those low hanging light fixtures in some dining rooms and other light fixtures that cast shadows have caused me a few needless callbacks. I try to watch out for them as best I can and inform the customer.

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I bet that's happened to most carpet cleaners at one time or another if you've been at it for long. Those low hanging light fixtures in some dining rooms and other light fixtures that cast shadows have caused me a few needless callbacks. I try to watch out for them as best I can and inform the customer.
Happens with new installs too. Because rooms are empty and we turn on lights they never normally use.

Reactions: wandwizard