Water softeners...a hidden danger? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Water softeners...a hidden danger?

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I recently went back to my Doctor for a cholesterol test and electrolytes. While I was there he checked my blood pressure and it was really high again (like 170/98) We were both really surprised because of the weight I have lost and my physical activity.
When I got home it occured to me that the only thing I have never checked is our water. It comes from a well and runs through a water softener. You cant taste any salt but I decided to boil a pan dry just to see. Sure enough there is a film of salt around the pan. So I installed a water distiller (and increased my meds) and within a few days my Blood pressure is down again. Now I am going to start reducing my meds and see what happens.
I think there might be an issue with the softener as well because when it regenerates, the water is very salty for about 4 gallons then its back to being undetectable by taste.
I also thought drinking distilled water was not really good for you but my electrolytes still appear to be in order a week into this.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Drink alkaline water if you can. RO water is better than distilled.

But there is a group that feel distilled is better for health than all the rest. I don't know...they seem on the fringe to me but it's worth investigating imo.

Reactions: rob allen

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Drink alkaline water if you can. RO water is better than distilled.

But there is a group that feel distilled is better for health than all the rest. I don't know...they seem on the fringe to me but it's worth investigating imo.

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
Yuck. Drinking soft water. My cold water out of the tap is plumbed to the city water supply, bypassing the softener.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
The only issue with drinking distilled water is the electrolytes and minerals in your body that have really low concentrations can be easily removed by the distilled water. These are usually things we don't easily replenish either because they might not be in our diet. So as long as you intake these minerals and electrolytes somehow you could drink distilled water and be fine.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I recently went back to my Doctor for a cholesterol test and electrolytes. While I was there he checked my blood pressure and it was really high again (like 170/98) We were both really surprised because of the weight I have lost and my physical activity.
When I got home it occured to me that the only thing I have never checked is our water. It comes from a well and runs through a water softener. You cant taste any salt but I decided to boil a pan dry just to see. Sure enough there is a film of salt around the pan. So I installed a water distiller (and increased my meds) and within a few days my Blood pressure is down again. Now I am going to start reducing my meds and see what happens.
I think there might be an issue with the softener as well because when it regenerates, the water is very salty for about 4 gallons then its back to being undetectable by taste.
I also thought drinking distilled water was not really good for you but my electrolytes still appear to be in order a week into this.
My water softner is factory set to regenerate at 2am. Only way it will draw salt into the system is if I'm running water ( washing clothes , dishwasher etc) when it's going through a cycle. The clock on the softner needs to be set for the actual time of day . Lots of softners I see the clock is wrong because of a power outage and it now regenerates at the wrong time ( during the day etc).
My plumber buddy says that when it regenerates and your not running any water at the time ... salt does NOT get into the system.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
My water softner is factory set to regenerate at 2am. Only way it will draw salt into the system is if I'm running water ( washing clothes , dishwasher etc) when it's going through a cycle. The clock on the softner needs to be set for the actual time of day . Lots of softners I see the clock is wrong because of a power outage and it now regenerates at the wrong time ( during the day etc).
My plumber buddy says that when it regenerates and your not running any water at the time ... salt does NOT get into the system.
Yeah, its set correctly and is getting into the system. Its a filter issue I believe in the back wash phase of the process. Of course, when running correctly, salt should not get in but I have not yet found a definitive answer to how much actually does, even when running optimally. My boil test proves that some does.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
The only issue with drinking distilled water is the electrolytes and minerals in your body that have really low concentrations can be easily removed by the distilled water. These are usually things we don't easily replenish either because they might not be in our diet. So as long as you intake these minerals and electrolytes somehow you could drink distilled water and be fine.
Thats why I got my electrolytes tested, along with cholesterol and a couple other thing. They are good. I have a very good, balanced JERF (just eat real food) diet and have no issue with leeching, but I thank you for pointing it out.

Reactions: aloha one

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Yeah, its set correctly and is getting into the system. Its a filter issue I believe in the back wash phase of the process. Of course, when running correctly, salt should not get in but I have not yet found a definitive answer to how much actually does, even when running optimally. My boil test proves that some does.
We use RO water for cooking and drinking. Our town water is very hard and if you don't have a softner in the house your bathroom fixtures etc get nasty. Get a few calls a year from people who's humidifier ( hooked up to furnace) leaked and caused water damage. The hard water cakes on the roller and float and won't allow the water feed to shut off! Good for business ... but always at a house without a water softner. 90 % of the homes in my area have a softner.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
I ll use tap for cooking, but i do not like to drink tap. Dont know if its any better but i always drink bottled spring water.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I ll use tap for cooking, but i do not like to drink tap. Dont know if its any better but i always drink bottled spring water.
I wouldnt drink bottled water unless it was in a glass bottle perhaps of if I am on a road trip and have nothing else with me.. I really dont see an issue with tap water in our Countries, or the UK (where I am from) but there are parts of Europe that I would not drink the water. Certainly, going back a few years folks were warned (when booking holidays) not have ice in their drinks in places like Spain and Portugal, the Canary Isles. probably different now.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
We use RO water for cooking and drinking. Our town water is very hard and if you don't have a softner in the house your bathroom fixtures etc get nasty. Get a few calls a year from people who's humidifier ( hooked up to furnace) leaked and caused water damage. The hard water cakes on the roller and float and won't allow the water feed to shut off! Good for business ... but always at a house without a water softner. 90 % of the homes in my area have a softner.
Ours was the same, completely caked up. Dont use it anymore though, since I changed the manifold and forgot to connect it.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
New york city, you have to let the water run a few minutes because it starts out pure white. I used to visit my family out there and thats what i remember.

Houses around here are older, i dont trust the pipes.

Reactions: Bexiesbruv

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
We also have a lot of iron content and thats why we condition the water. We had just an iron filter then installed a combination iron filter water softener. I guess I should have just put in the softener. I suppose he conned us as we didnt know any different at the time. I think today will be taking apart the control unit and see if there is anything that can be cleaned.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Ours was the same, completely caked up. Dont use it anymore though, since I changed the manifold and forgot to connect it.
We do furnace and duct cleaning and disconnect scaled up humidifiers all the time.
They are nice to have in the house during the dry winter months though!
Also homes with alot of hardwood , again cold dry winter months.
We use a few portable humidifiers in our house.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
How about all the sweet water in plastic bottles, like GMO Coke and Grader Aid? I also stay away from that stuff too.