Water Extraction in Apartments Parking Garage (Basement) Need Help With Price | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Water Extraction in Apartments Parking Garage (Basement) Need Help With Price

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
So I got a call to extract water out because someone broke sprinkler system. Parking lot is a basement type, only drain is at the entrance and water was spread around all over. I'm not sure on how to charge for the extraction. I showed up 3 times to finish it all. It's only me and a truckmount so every 50 gallons or so I would have to drive to entrance to dump water and then get back to extracting. So altogether took about 20 hours spread over 3 days (too many cars during weekend to clean under them). So if anyone has done a similar job I would appreciate the help on pricing it. It's for an apartment complex and I work as a sub contractor for the company billing them so not all the money goes to me if that helps any. Thanks in advance. I have video and a few pictures but not too sure how to upload them here.

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
Two ways to bill this.
1. Charge an hourly rate. Add any disposable items you may have used in the process. Don't forget to charge for travel and sanitation of your equipment.
2. Sign up in xactimate. Break it down by line item. Gonna cost you subscription cost and headache of learning program.

Good luck. If you didn't have an agreed to price, signed work auths, and contracts beforehand it's going to be fun collecting.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
so this was a parking lot?????

Those apts. are notorious for being cheap!!!!

However you put in the work...!!!!

I misread...believe you are subbing for a restoration company???

What do you charge them now for large water extractions???

Last edited:

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i agree with kevin......

if you had a pumpout sounds like you could have done that in about 6 hours or less....
even if you had a portable with a apo .....
like a flood pumper......

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
WOW! 20hours!!

I agree, you need a APO.

I dont know cost will vary. This is why I avoid being subcontracted.

You might be able to charge .50-1.00 per gallon extracted

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
Two ways to bill this.
1. Charge an hourly rate. Add any disposable items you may have used in the process. Don't forget to charge for travel and sanitation of your equipment.
2. Sign up in xactimate. Break it down by line item. Gonna cost you subscription cost and headache of learning program.

Good luck. If you didn't have an agreed to price, signed work auths, and contracts beforehand it's going to be fun collecting.
Hourly rate is what I was thinking. Didnt really use any disposible items.
Xactimate sounds good but I dont have the workload to justify the expense.

Yeah I expect to get some push back about the price no matter what number I come up with. I do work for those apts all year round but rarely anything so big...still waiting on approval for hallways of same apts to be approved

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
so this was a parking lot?????

Those apts. are notorious for being cheap!!!!

However you put in the work...!!!!

I misread...believe you are subbing for a restoration company???

What do you charge them now for large water extractions???
yes basement parking lot.
that too they try to save money wherever they can
subbing thru a general contractor which has the insurances and handles all invoicing and paperwork. I just show up, do the work and pick up a check...even before they get paid.
I have charged $150 per hour to another company which was paid directly to me but I think they made enough to cover me and then some.

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
Tough to charge by the hour when you aren't really equipt for production.
I can do production but then the parking lot was still active, only the one drain about 300 to 400 feet away from some areas. Couldnt even use a trash pump because water wasnt deep enough in some areas but spread out all over.

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
i agree with kevin......

if you had a pumpout sounds like you could have done that in about 6 hours or less....
even if you had a portable with a apo .....
like a flood pumper......
6 hours I doubt it, cars kept trying to drive over hoses. People walking around and parking next to you even though they see what youre trying to do. It wasnt just one sheet of water, there was high and low spots so water spread out over large area.

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
WOW! 20hours!!

I agree, you need a APO.

I dont know cost will vary. This is why I avoid being subcontracted.

You might be able to charge .50-1.00 per gallon extracted
yeah but spread out over 3 days.
I work for another company using their equipment and they have an apo and honestly its been down and giving them problems more than anything. Ive never had a need for it. most of my jobs arent that big and if so I welcome taking a break every hour or so since Im a one man show.
On monday most cars were gone so I could finish it all.
the only good thing about subcontract is I get paid sooner than if I was billing them directly.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
bro
sometimes those apts. dont bill insurance......

6 hours I doubt it, cars kept trying to drive over hoses. People walking around and parking next to you even though they see what youre trying to do. It wasnt just one sheet of water, there was high and low spots so water spread out over large area.
you can get an APO with a 100-200' water hose outlet....

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
bro
sometimes those apts. dont bill insurance......

you can get an APO with a 100-200' water hose outlet....
I know even if they do they are still looking to pay less and pocket the rest just like everyone else.
That is true...I have plenty of hoses too. Another thing was that there wasnt a water hookup down there and I wouldve needed to buy even more hoses to both get to water one level up and hook up a pump out. Had to run truckmount at half speed so it wouldnt heat up...my pump doesnt have a clutch and well its older model prochem but gets it done.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i have been in your shoes.....
doesnt matter how much work you did......
if another company can do it in 5 hours then you have to be competitve with their price!!!!

I have been dropped 3 times doing water damage jobs because I woudnt meet the owners price.

Call around ask a pressure washer reclimation company what they charge????

From what you are telling me I bet they dont want to pay over 1000$ if that.
1. 6 hours X 150$ hour = 900$
or as suggested
2. 1$ gallon x 50 gallons x 20 hours = 1000$
that is if you dumped 1 tank per hour

remember this is a parking lot not the parlor at the HILTON.

I would suggest meet their price and keep the contract and make it up down the road......

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
i have been in your shoes.....
doesnt matter how much work you did......
if another company can do it in 5 hours then you have to be competitve with their price!!!!

I have been dropped 3 times doing water damage jobs because I woudnt meet the owners price.

Call around ask a pressure washer reclimation company what they charge????

From what you are telling me I bet they dont want to pay over 1000$ if that.
1. 6 hours X 150$ hour = 900$
or as suggested
2. 1$ gallon x 50 gallons x 20 hours = 1000$
that is if you dumped 1 tank per hour

remember this is a parking lot not the parlor at the HILTON.

I would suggest meet their price and keep the contract and make it up down the road......
I have also been dropped for similar things or because someone is getting kick backs from another company which I refuse to do.
I wouldnt know who to call here in Houston for it....I should know but I dont.
That is what Im afraid of but I dont want to go too low either.
Im pretty sure I dumped mor than 1 tank per hour, at some point I wanted to keep track but since its just me I just let it go and kept going. Even at half speed tank got full quick in the areas where water was deep enough to leave wand or hose in one spot sucking away.
I understand what youre saying though.
Hardly any chance to make it up later as I only do 1 or 2 br apts there with a portable...able to do it with truckmount but its a 5 story building with parking only below apts...its complicated to say the least

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Not to press on the APO, but I actually made my own and in all I spent about $350. Pump, fittings, wires, special pig tail connectors by delphi , and float switch.
And the best part its 12 volts, it does not go inside the tank, does not need an inverter, and it pumps out pretty good. AND it looks really good, it isnt bulky a whole lot smaller and compact than the saphire version without the over 1k price

I next plan on adding a manual switch which will then change my cost maybe in the $400's?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Remember, not all money is good money.

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
Not to press on the APO, but I actually made my own and in all I spent about $350. Pump, fittings, wires, special pig tail connectors by delphi , and float switch.
And the best part its 12 volts, it does not go inside the tank, does not need an inverter, and it pumps out pretty good. AND it looks really good, it isnt bulky a whole lot smaller and compact than the saphire version without the over 1k price

I next plan on adding a manual switch which will then change my cost maybe in the $400's?
yeah I could do it but I feel good without it...rarely would have a need for it