Water Box Temp Gauge

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Pulled the hour meter and put an automotive capillary tube temp gauge on the panel to watch the water box temps. Going to play with warming up the incoming fresh water off the exterior of the blower silencer and try to stay under the pumps 160° high limit mark before I put new seal and valves in it right before the busy season. If it works like I think it will, I can probably Jack the flow on it and have no hit on the wand.... Time will tell.
20190415_175930.jpg

Reactions: J20770

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
It's a 15 year old machine and just put new head gaskets, lifters and crankshaft seals front and rear in it. Once it's running perfect, we are replacing the motor with a new one and shelving this one for a rainy day. It's a 3 hour project to swap out the motor, an easy Friday evening job.

Reactions: J20770

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
BTW, Ford 302 lifters will drop in a 18-22 HP Kohler. Don't oil them, put them in dry externally lubed. Sounds like a bastard the first 5 minutes and levels out quick lol

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
BTW, Ford 302 lifters will drop in a 18-22 HP Kohler. Don't oil them, put them in dry externally lubed. Sounds like a bastard the first 5 minutes and levels out quick lol
I haven't built an engine in years but I do like the sound of lifters pumping up for the first time.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
It's a 15 year old machine and just put new head gaskets, lifters and crankshaft seals front and rear in it. Once it's running perfect, we are replacing the motor with a new one and shelving this one for a rainy day. It's a 3 hour project to swap out the motor, an easy Friday evening job.
Are you tabling the 47 build for now?

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Pulled the hour meter and put an automotive capillary tube temp gauge on the panel to watch the water box temps. Going to play with warming up the incoming fresh water off the exterior of the blower silencer and try to stay under the pumps 160° high limit mark before I put new seal and valves in it right before the busy season. If it works like I think it will, I can probably Jack the flow on it and have no hit on the wand.... Time will tell.
View attachment 84239
Sounds like a neat idea.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
50' of 3/8" copper on the outside of the blower silencer adds 30° to the wand and no penalty filling the water box. Stringing out every bit of the live freshwater reel on the driveway in the sun adds 10° more. If you are running a heat exchanger unit with a 6 flow wand under 130' of 1/4" solution this makes a difference at the wand for a one time fee of $50. My 14 flow portable wand destroys the TM heat.

A 45 blower has about 56k additional BTUs bought and paid for to offer up at average use (CFM'S x Hg under load) this isn't harnessing much of that, but adding a good bit for very little effort on any heat exchanger unit. As the heat at the wand increases the blower discharge temps rise affecting the preheat. The industry standard number of 13° temperature rise over ambient per psi of blower discharge seems to hold true at 650' of elevation. Take all this for what it is worth, but with ground water temps at 60° I averaged 100° in the water box at 1.5 GPM through the wand at average key. I bumped the Murphy switch from 220° to 250° because the rise is so quick, so I don't vent through the floor of the van (we've never vented waste heat into the waste tank).

Reactions: DakotaG