Waste water dumping recomendations. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Waste water dumping recomendations.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Around here, it's recommended to partner up with a local car wash, RV facility, or other place that's already set up for wastewater disposal and offer a trade or payment to use their facilities. Another option for resi cleaners is the customer's sewer cleanout pipe (the 4" white PVC-capped pipe that is more often than not found near the foundation of the house, or right at the edge of the lot near the road).

Yes, guys here dump in yards. And no, they're not supposed to do that. One fellow got popped last summer because his customer ASKED him to dump in his rosebushes, but the nosy neighbor across the street works for the EPA. That didn't end well.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Would never dump in a yard, its illegal as far as I know up here, and the average age of this town is like 55 Years old, lots of older "hippie" types that are very environmentally conscious. Would not end well. Id imagine you would get nailed on like...Day 1 of doing it lol

Reactions: Mama Fen

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
It's a thorny issue for sure - I'd never dump in a residential neighborhood where I just performed the job as often there is that ONE neighbor who watches you the whole time waiting for you to do it.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Its hilarious to me, like what do you think I'm dumping, nuclear waste?
This is the dirt from YOUR house, diluted with water.
Like, yesterday you were rolling around in it and walking barefoot...

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
The chemicals used to remove the dirt is the problem.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Makes you wonder how they actually find an appreciable amount of medicine in our drinking water.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Dumping anything at a customer's house is a huge fk no for us... people hate that, even though they may not tell you they do.

We just dump every morning before taking off. I've had situations in the past where we had no choice but to dump at the customers house and man it sucks

Lloyd-Hobart

Oct 6, 2016
Real Name
Lloyd Locke
Question - Why do you not just pump out on a lawn area or put pump out hose under hedge to hide hose from nosey neighbour - as long as you are not letting the waste water flow to storm water drain on road why would there be an issue with authorities.

Just curious if it is a perceived customer impression thing as to why you do not dump at the property or is it a regulatory factor. Very few customers have ever had issue with pumping out on lawn - mind due we always explain prior to commencement we will be pumping out that way as some wonder what that little mound of foam that can appear at the end of the hose is.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
A pump out is the most ideal thing to do. Honestly I'm not sure how you guys can go an entire day without dumping? I usually have to dump at least once during the day.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I have an APO in both vans that discharges thru a 5/8" garden hose onto the ground. This is much better than dumping thru a 2" hose gushing filth visible 2 doors down.

You do not want to dump over a septic tank field either. I place the hose on the ground and clean away. I have not had to dump a recovery tank in 25 years anywhere, just a subtle garden hose release, as long as it does not go downhill to the street or storm drains, and yes, the grass is greener under the APO hose for sure.

So I never drive around with extra weight in the vans from dirty water as an added bonus.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I've never had a customer question me about water disposal.
Mind you I do it discreetly.
I do T&G so I have to dump every job.

Reactions: mrotto

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
I just swing by the sani-dump in between jobs if needed. Though thats obviously a problem now lol

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
There is a BIG difference between dumping out and pumping out.

Dumping is using a 2" ID hose and it comes gushing out, visible for a few hundred feet. It interrupts your cleaning job.

An APO pumps it out through a garden hose and is almost invisible.

The other great thing about the APO is I never have to stop cleaning because the waste tank is full, and needs emptying. The waste tank used to always seem to be full when I was smack in the middle of cleaning before I went the APO route.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I dont go out of my way to explain that I will be dumping on their lawn/brushes. I just do it and I think I have had 3 people over 35 plus years ask me what that extra hose was for. And I clean some very upscale homes.