Waste tank

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Does a large waste tank say 500 gallons effect the vacuum power?
I'm thinking of converting a lawn care truck into a carpet cleaning truck. It has 3 built in tanks. I think 500 gallons per tank. I would love to have 500 of fresh water and 500 of waste water.
Thanks

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Does a large waste tank say 500 gallons effect the vacuum power?
I'm thinking of converting a lawn care truck into a carpet cleaning truck. It has 3 built in tanks. I think 500 gallons per tank. I would love to have 500 of fresh water and 500 of waste water.
Thanks
What the hell is this title about. I did not type that?

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Yes it will effect the vacuum power. Blower is quicker to suck air out of a small waste tank than a big one. Better to have a small waste tank and pump waste water into a bigger holding tank with a high flow pump out. My next machine will have a 15 to 30 gallon max waste tank with a high flow pump out.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Just my thoughts, but it sounds like a bad idea unless you're running through a massive amount of water on a regular basis. Water in the fresh water tank won't stay fresh forever. I think it would be better to use one as a holding tank to pump dirty water into. If you're also doing a lot of pressure washing I could see it might be a good idea. I'm also pretty sure a tank that big will adversely affect vacuum power. Maybe @Todd the Cleaner knows more about that. I'm almost certain that it will though.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Just my thoughts, but it sounds like a bad idea unless you're running through a massive amount of water on a regular basis. Water in the fresh water tank won't stay fresh forever. I think it would be better to use one as a holding tank to pump dirty water into. If you're also doing a lot of pressure washing I could see it might be a good idea. I'm also pretty sure a tank that big will adversely affect vacuum power. Maybe @Todd the Cleaner knows more about that. I'm almost certain that it will though.
I think my waste tank is 50 gallons. I dump it about 3 to 5 times per job. Full house so up to 10 times per day. Is that normal?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I think my waste tank is 50 gallons. I dump it about 3 to 5 times per job. Full house so up to 10 times per day. Is that normal?
That sure doesn't sound normal or even close to normal. I don't know your machine. I'd be wondering if the machine is dumping a lot of fresh water into the waste tank? I saved a lot of my usable fresh water by routing the thermal valve into my freshwater tank. All those gallons that were being wasted and filling my waste tank up too fast now get used for cleaning. It made a big difference in how long my freshwater tank last and my waste tank fills up slower, a lot slower.

I can only pick up maybe 60 gallons in my tank and I can do some pretty large jobs with that w/o filling up. I use the Rotovac normally at 300 psi and I have a 4 flow wand and a 10 flow wand. I do the biggest part of my cleaning with the Rotovac and it actually is pretty easy on water usage and still cleans the snot out of the carpet.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Carpet or tile?

My tank is only 60 gallons and I can do most carpet jobs without having to dump. I can usually clean 8-10 rooms before the tank is full. If you are dumping 3 times on a 5-6 room carpet job your machine is dumping too much into the tank.

For tile I have to stop once an hour to dump.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Carpet or tile?

My tank is only 60 gallons and I can do most carpet jobs without having to dump. I can usually clean 8-10 rooms before the tank is full. If you are dumping 3 times on a 5-6 room carpet job your machine is dumping too much into the tank.

For tile I have to stop once an hour to dump.
Carpet I can do 3 rooms with out dumping. With the bronzer on cleanish carpet. It real dirty 1 room. Tile I can go about 10 minutes between dumps. I have checked the bypass and it does not dump into waste tank unless I am overheating. And that is rare. I usually clean at 400 psi carpet and 1000 tile. Maybe I need to turn down the psi?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Carpet I can do 3 rooms with out dumping. With the bronzer on cleanish carpet. It real dirty 1 room. Tile I can go about 10 minutes between dumps. I have checked the bypass and it does not dump into waste tank unless I am overheating. And that is rare. I usually clean at 400 psi carpet and 1000 tile. Maybe I need to turn down the psi?
There has to be something going on. I use a 9 flow wand at 500-600 psi and I run 1200 psi on tile.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
There has to be something going on. I use a 9 flow wand at 500-600 psi and I run 1200 psi on tile.
There are 2 bypass that go to the tank. One hot and one cold. Anyone know what the cold bypass is about? Auto pump out maybe. My auto pump out does not work.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
There are 2 bypass that go to the tank. One hot and one cold. Anyone know what the cold bypass is about? Auto pump out maybe. My auto pump out does not work.
Cold bypass? Do you mean the thermal valve on the water box?

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Cold bypass? Do you mean the thermal valve on the water box?
I tried to post a pic but can't. Yes one off the exhaust heat exchanger and one off a valve before the water box. Not sure what the cold bypass Is for.
Do you know?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I tried to post a pic but can't. Yes one off the exhaust heat exchanger and one off a valve before the water box. Not sure what the cold bypass Is for.
Do you know?
The one on the water box is there to protect the pump. Depending on what it’s rated at it opens up if the water in the water box gets too hot. The water box should never be hotter than 165. That thermal valve should only be open if the water gets too hot. If it’s always draining water into the tank you need a new one.

Here’s what you need.

http://www.jondon.com/ea-thermo-vlv-3-8-165deg-brass.html

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Do you know?
The one on the water box is there to protect the pump. Depending on what it’s rated at it opens up if the water in the water box gets too hot. The water box should never be hotter than 165. That thermal valve should only be open if the water gets too hot. If it’s always draining water into the tank you need a new one.

Here’s what you need.

http://www.jondon.com/ea-thermo-vlv-3-8-165deg-brass.html
Thank you.

Jul 5, 2016
Real Name
abdul
500 gallon is overkill. Given that every 100 kg adds 5 to 10 percent to your fuel consumption you could easily triple your fuel expenses.(100 gallons is 378kg) Plus, carrying all that weight will put enormous amount of wear on your vehicles engine, transmission, brakes and other parts