Warning Notice! Scammers Offering Credit Card Numbers To Carpet Cleaning Companies | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Warning Notice! Scammers Offering Credit Card Numbers To Carpet Cleaning Companies

Lynx41

Jun 18, 2011
Real Name
Jeff Mann
Business Location
United States
Got a call the other day from a very convincing woman who claimed to work for Handy.com. In the conversation, she told me that she was looking for a carpet cleaning company in Oklahoma to take care of a client. She told me that they just wanted to get the job done right away and would be willing to pay a fair market price to meet customer demand. Okay, I have heard this before, so I told her that I would need a credit card number up front and to pre-charge the cleaning price. She was fine with this and gave me all the necessary information from the credit card, the client's name, address, and phone number and all her information as well. She seemed very honest and convincing.

Day of Cleaning- Before leaving to meet customer almost 65 miles away, I precharged the credit card for the amount we agreed on. Sure enough! The card number was declined and twice to be sure. Okay? So, I called her number back and of course, nobody answered the call at handy.com. So, I emailed her and got no response. Then I contacted the customer that needed the cleaning done and told him what was going on. He told me that he did not go through Handy.com, but through Home Advisor and that they credit card last 4 digits were different than what was given to me. I told him that he needed to contact his credit card company and get his money back. I also told him to contract with my company direct and everything will work out right. He was pretty upset about it, but there was nothing I could say other than what I did.

This woman, of course, never did respond back, which further confirms they were trying to get me to do a free job for them. Not sure what they thought they would accomplish being that I told her in the first place that my van wasn't going to leave the curb until the charge goes through and I have the money. In the end, the credit card company maybe the only one to loose out here, but this type of thing can blemish a company's reputation that they have worked hard to build if the customer decides to go ballistic and bad mouth you all over the internet. Thank God, this customer was more understanding than that.

I have been in this business 10 years now and I have noticed that there has been a rise in scammers targeting cleaning business owners and trying all kinds of nonsense to get business to either fork out free service or try to scam businesses for money anywhere from fraud emails, phishing, mishing, and vishing schemes to phone calls like this one that I got.

Be Vigilant and Aware of The Latest Scams because they are getting more clever all the time!

Last edited:
Reactions: LeeRoy

Lynx41

Jun 18, 2011
Real Name
Jeff Mann
Business Location
United States
Another type of messaging scam sent my way are these characters who text cleaning companies with these requests for cleaning, but in the text, they want to divert you to communicate with them via email? I always delete these text messages, but not sure what they are hoping to accomplish by going to email?

Reactions: LeeRoy

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Another type of messaging scam sent my way are these characters who text cleaning companies with these requests for cleaning, but in the text, they want to divert you to communicate with them via email? I always delete these text messages, but not sure what they are hoping to accomplish by going to email?
I get tons of E-mails asking that one. I don't get it, they'll send me an email, stating their name, then ask me to contact them at another Email. fudgeing weird.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Several scams going on out there. There’s another one where s guy needs to ship a dozen area rugs to an address where you will meet his guy to clean them. They ask if they can over pay you and have you pay the shipper when they deliver the rugs.

There are no rugs.

You charge the card which will go through (it’s a stolen credit card) you then pay the shipper (usually a couple thousand dollars) and then within a week the credit card gets disputed, funds are pulled from your account, and you are left with a negative balance of what ever you paid the shipper.

I’ve made it a policy to never deal with a 3rd party wanting to book work unless it’s a local property manager or realtor. Even then if the house is occupied I get the occupants info and talk to them before scheduling the work. I won’t charge a credit card until work is complete and I will only charge the card for the exact amount of my work. You have to protect yourself.