Vortex lite | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Vortex lite

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Hard to guess, assumption would be on a light to medium residential soil the heat component is only saving a smaller % of time.

But even with dual wanding, I got more heat and power off my TM vs having the portable - so I find it difficult to say that a Portable = TM in power, especially a medium size TM like the Apex 570.

Again, I think the Vortex is easily a top tier portable machine and is a great option to diversify a business and I would hook it up on a top floor of an office building or hotel etc and it could clean and perform great for carpet.

Will it out clean my truck mount? Absolutely not.

Reactions: Jimsteam

RickyZ

Jan 13, 2020
Real Name
Ricky Zuniga
Worked well for the carpet, not great for the tile in this scenario. Had a difficulty with a loose wire but overall I give it a 4 out of 5 stars for usability, power and auto fill / dump.
do you think it would be more effective on tile using the vortex and the rotovac together?

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
vortex gets half the vacuum a truckmount does......215 cfm
\
vs. 400 cfm for a truckmount

no heat unless you go through the hot water of the house......100-120 degree
coming out the wand

but it is noce for high rises

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
Cleaning times are more a matter of flow than anything else. The Mytee Air hog/water hog has 2.0 gpm. The Vortex is only 1.5 gpm.

As Jim stated, you can also get more flow with 3/8 hose or bigger jets. The LX motors can probably handle somewhere between 2-3 gpm. So the bottleneck is the flow.

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I understand the flow argument - my truckmount has 5gpm flow - I haven't seen a portable yet that carries that kind of pump.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Up the flow to the wand and it impacts speed and quality a good bit. Pissy flow is slow TM or portable.
Yes you always advocate 3/8" line over 1/4" for this reason. I have been thinking this might be the biggest thing that could speed me up at this moment.

I know you have recommended possible pressure washing suppliers for 3/8" line.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Cleaning times are more a matter of flow than anything else. The Mytee Air hog/water hog has 2.0 gpm. The Vortex is only 1.5 gpm.

As Jim stated, you can also get more flow with 3/8 hose or bigger jets. The LX motors can probably handle somewhere between 2-3 gpm. So the bottleneck is the flow.
So would 3/8" line through out the system from pump to wand make it so one gets what their pump can give? 5gpm for Oxi's TM or 2gpm for water hog users?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Ive really been thinking about this. Quick searching has shown the 3/8" line is very affordable? @Jim Davisson is this good quality hose in 3/8"?

Thank you

Tool Barn:

1580766578017.png

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
I think your true flow will always be below the rated flow, but 3/8” should get it a lot closer. Jim actually did some bucket tests.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
TM and portable flow specs in the brochure is not reality, not even close, it's lies. I suggest you remove your jets and measure 60 seconds into a bin with your normal amount of solution line. This will be your system gross with your current configuration. Then you can start altering things around the pump, hoses and finally the wand to get up there.

Kleerite sells ⅜" Neptune with ¼" ends for portable users (phone order only). A great value with no adapters necessary for $1.50/ft in any length you want. My portable has 3 gpm open flow and will make a TM look stupid with a stacked live reel of ¼" solution line. You have to run insane pressure for ¼" solution line to tote the mail. I run a true 2 gpm to the floor with my TM and let me tell you about the difference in cleaning power, it's night and day if you have the vacuum to go with it. I had to run ⅜" copper tubing from the valve to the jet manifolds to finally see an improvement to the floor with everything else taken care of before it. I put fuel line over it to retain heat and protect my hands.

20200125_164533.jpg

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
TM and portable flow specs in the brochure is not reality, not even close, it's lies. I suggest you remove your jets and measure 60 seconds into a bin with your normal amount of solution line. This will be your system gross with your current configuration. Then you can start altering things around the pump, hoses and finally the wand to get up there.

Kleerite sells ⅜" Neptune with ¼" ends for portable users (phone order only). A great value with no adapters necessary for $1.50/ft in any length you want. My portable has 3 gpm open flow and will make a TM look stupid with a stacked live reel of ¼" solution line. You have to run insane pressure for ¼" solution line to tote the mail. I run a true 2 gpm to the floor with my TM and let me tell you about the difference in cleaning power, it's night and day if you have the vacuum to go with it. I had to run ⅜" copper tubing from the valve to the jet manifolds to finally see an improvement to the floor with everything else taken care of before it. I put fuel line over it to retain heat and protect my hands.

View attachment 89494
Jim thank you. More to game plan for.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

View attachment 89494
The jim- Gyver wand ;)

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Jim must have weak ankles. Real men take at least 30 trips back and forth from the truck before starting a job.

• Haha
Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
The lead wire for the outside plug was loose in the socket , it became loose and lost power to Vac 1 and the Pump, took a bit to diagnose but that was my fault for being unfamiliar with it.

The power is good, my truckmount is an Apex 570. So for carpet they are comparable, obviously the truckmount is still much higher CFM at 400 vs 200 on the Mytee but compared to other portables I've tried I think the Mytee would be a great residential and commercial carpet option. Truckmount obviously also produces heat, I could've cleaned the same carpet probably in half the time with my truck mount.

The pump though rated 800 PSI wasn't getting the very heavy soiled tile clean for me fast enough. We ended up dual wanding the off the truck and was much faster.
I think you were missing the heat for the tile grout cleaning, 800 psi is plenty, when I have my heat I clean tiles quicker and cuts faster then no heat with both set at the same psi, in the winter months I got no heat and I do notice the difference is huge.

Reactions: Jimsteam

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Yesterday I was doing a tile and grout cleaning job and I had the otter pump set to 800 plus and with tap hot water things were not cutting that easily, first I rinsed the tiles using the wand about 30 sqft at the time and then quickly brushed the small rinsed area then another quick rinse and finished it that way, it is little bit of time consuming even though the results are amazing. This is the the case when I have heat.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Well I played around with it on a carpet job today, I need to do more testing. With my hydroforce plugged in there wasn't much of a PSI drop, but using my Rotovac it was losing pressure all the way down from 500 PSI to 100 PSI, which doesn't make a ton of sense to me, this particular pump should be able to keep up.