Vomit stain on wool rug

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
I cleaned a rug the other day not realizing that the customer told me about a vomit spot on a wool rug.

I cleaned with rug smack and noticed a blue spot, took extra wet passes with straight water, (no change in appearance) put a blower on it.
A week later after my client returned from vacation she called to tell me there was a pink spot!
Any suggestions?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
A picture will help us a lot on how to advise you. It could be color loss or color bleeding or even a pH imbalance.

Get some pictures, up close, far away, and of the back side of the rug (just flip a corner over a couple feet so we can see what the back of the rug looks like). See if the customer can take the pictures and send them to you so we can see the problem before you go back.

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
A picture will help us a lot on how to advise you. It could be color loss or color bleeding or even a pH imbalance.

Get some pictures, up close, far away, and of the back side of the rug (just flip a corner over a couple feet so we can see what the back of the rug looks like). See if the customer can take the pictures and send them to you so we can see the problem before you go back.
I asked her a while ago and she said she would... still waiting..

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States

This is all she sent
IMG_5203.jpg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
From what I can see one of three things is going on.

Starting with the least aggressive:

1. It can be a pH imbalance. Mix some acid rinse such as FabSet or something similar at 1:10 in a spray bottle and apply it. Work it in with a horsehair brush or a towel then speed dry it. Hopefully this takes care of the problem.

2. The second possibility is that the dogs vomit had some red food dye from the dog food. You can use a one part red stain remover such as RedZone Ready at half strength mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Use an iron and a towel but apply the heat for only a few seconds at a time. If you see improvement keep working at it.

3. Another possibility is that the dog vomit or the chemicals used stripped some of the color out. If this is the case the spot can be fixed by re-dying the spot. This is something best left to someone who knows what they are doing. @Johnny Bravo can get you in contact with Chris Howell who can refer a color correction expert in your area to you. I would pass the info on to the customer and have them pay to have it corrected.

The customer may try to blame you for this but don’t let them. It was their dog that messed up the rug, not you. You are there just doing your best to correct THEIR problem. Do all you can to help them but at the end of the day when you can’t fix the spot they need to be the one to take responsibility for it.

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
From what I can see one of three things is going on.

Starting with the least aggressive:

1. It can be a pH imbalance. Mix some acid rinse such as FabSet or something similar at 1:10 in a spray bottle and apply it. Work it in with a horsehair brush or a towel then speed dry it. Hopefully this takes care of the problem.

2. The second possibility is that the dogs vomit had some red food dye from the dog food. You can use a one part red stain remover such as RedZone Ready at half strength mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Use an iron and a towel but apply the heat for only a few seconds at a time. If you see improvement keep working at it.

3. Another possibility is that the dog vomit or the chemicals used stripped some of the color out. If this is the case the spot can be fixed by re-dying the spot. This is something best left to someone who knows what they are doing. @Johnny Bravo can get you in contact with Chris Howell who can refer a color correction expert in your area to you. I would pass the info on to the customer and have them pay to have it corrected.

The customer may try to blame you for this but don’t let them. It was their dog that messed up the rug, not you. You are there just doing your best to correct THEIR problem. Do all you can to help them but at the end of the day when you can’t fix the spot they need to be the one to take responsibility for it.
Sounds reasonable, this is my best customer, I will bend to help them with this. Thanks. Is red zone safe to use on natural fibers?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Sounds reasonable, this is my best customer, I will bend to help them with this. Thanks. Is red zone safe to use on natural fibers?
Diluted 50/50 with distilled water it’s usually ok, of course all fibers and dyes are different so test it on a small 1 square inch area first before going at the whole stain.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Well it's there now, which tells me it was there from the beginning or someone added it afterwards.
yes its there now, gonna have to get that red out if it does any slight bleaching on the stain, you can spot dye it back in..

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
gotta get the red out
Ok so here's what I ended up doing; 1st I used some encapuclean mixed 1 to 4 and applied with my upholstery brush and worked it in using a cross pattern so as not to distort the fibers,
2nd I floated the rug with an air mover with half flow going on top the other half on bottom and dried for 20 minutes, 3rd I rinsed and extracted at 150 psi warm water using my single jet 1103 stair tool, 4th I sprayed on Red zone Ready at 1 to 2, let it dwell for 45 seconds then rinsed, 5th put the blower back on for another 20 minutes... hope this stays like the pic
20180806_160617.jpg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Ok so here's what I ended up doing; 1st I used some encapuclean mixed 1 to 4 and applied with my upholstery brush and worked it in using a cross pattern so as not to distort the fibers,
2nd I floated the rug with an air mover with half flow going on top the other half on bottom and dried for 20 minutes, 3rd I rinsed and extracted at 150 psi warm water using my single jet 1103 stair tool, 4th I sprayed on Red zone Ready at 1 to 2, let it dwell for 45 seconds then rinsed, 5th put the blower back on for another 20 minutes... hope this stays like the pic
Please tell me those table legs are not sitting on the wet rug, it looks wet there.

31AD37EB-5773-4827-B9E0-19CB117D06C2.jpeg