Viscose rug crunchy after cleaning.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
My niece from Tennesse called and said she had a company clean her fairly expensive viscose rug. The rug dried and was crunchy to walk on and left marks from the cleaning tool going every which way. I told her I think it can be corrected with an acid-based rinse. I suspect the company that did it both overwet it and used a detergent on the rug or perhaps used a heavy prespray on it or both. They have taken it already and are going to try and correct it. I'd like to know if anyone has any better idea than mine. I'm convinced the main issue is a residue problem and I think a good acid rinse would be the best hope using minimal moisture and cleaning stroke all one direction along with speed drying. I'm all ears on this one. My guess is the cleaner didn't know what he was getting into with viscose.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Rule #1. Never clean viscose in a customers home.

I Clean them at my house. I use low pressure and I have someone stand on the fringe and then I pull the wand all the way from one end of the rug to the other in one long stroke. Absolutely no back and forth with the wand. Pull the wand the whole length of the rug in the direction the nap lays. I do a wet pass end to end then a dry pass then move over to the next row working my way across the rug.

After cleaning Groom the rug in the direction the nap lays.

No matter what it’s going to dry a bit stiff with the fibers clumped together. Once dry I use the grooming brush to groom the rug against the nap then Groom it with the nap again. I then vacuum it followed by a final grooming in the direction the nap lays.

As you see 2/3 of the work on the rug is done after the rug is dry. All the grooming and vacuuming softens the rug back to normal.

If there’s wand marks in the rug they will be tough to remove but with enough grooming it will be possible. To fix your sisters rug they basically need to start this process from the beginning. No need for more prespray unless it’s still dirty. Some fiber rinse will help the softening process.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Todd is correct, it all needs to be groomed in the same direction. Viscose being stiff and clumped is common after cleaning if the nap is not going in the same direction.

The acid rinse can't hurt and will probably help, but grooming throughout the entire drying process is key.

Where in Tennessee is she located? My son does rug cleaning in Nashville area and could probably correct it.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Todd is correct, it all needs to be groomed in the same direction. Viscose being stiff and clumped is common after cleaning if the nap is not going in the same direction.

The acid rinse can't hurt and will probably help, but grooming throughout the entire drying process is key.

Where in Tennessee is she located? My son does rug cleaning in Nashville area and could probably correct it.
Honestly, they've moved since the last time I heard from them and I don't know her current address. I think they're still in the Nashville area, but exactly where I don't know. The folks that did the original job have already taken it and they've got the info both I and Todd gave them. Hopefully, they'll get it straightened out. The rug is not super expensive, but it was about 1,200. or more so not exactly cheap either. My niece was upset about it, but I told her I thought it could be corrected. I should find out sometime next week.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
Anyone who sells a viscose rug should be required to clean them as well. This would be the end of the viscose rug scourge on our society.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Anyone who sells a viscose rug should be required to clean them as well. This would be the end of the viscose rug scourge on our society.
AMEN!!!!

The same goes for engineers that design cars... make an engineer change a water pump and I guarantee you would see a change real fast.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
I'm seeing a lot of viscous rugs lately. I think it is website like wayfair.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
My niece sent me a picture of her rug after it was cleaned. I'm sure the cleaner who cleaned it was trying to do a good job but clearly didn't know a thing about viscose. From what she has told me it sounds like they corrected the issue. Personally, I would not put wand marks in an area rug, but that goes triple for viscose! I'm finding personally that not everyone likes wand marks on their carpet either. I recently had a complaint about it myself from one of my customers that's been with me for many years. I had no clue she didn't like them until she asked me to make a special trip to remove them! Those marks don't come out easily on all carpets, particularly polys.

viscose rug.jpg

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Not exactly a pro move on the reclean, but I guess they "fixed it".

I know what you mean about leaving a sawtooth pattern, in a vacant it's money... In an occupied, not so much. I still scrub across the row from left to right being right hand dominate, but adjust the dry stroke from right to left for the customer. Resting b!tch face is definitely not getting a perfect sawtooth pattern.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Not exactly a pro move on the reclean, but I guess they "fixed it".

I know what you mean about leaving a sawtooth pattern, in a vacant it's money... In an occupied, not so much. I still scrub across the row from left to right being right hand dominate, but adjust the dry stroke from right to left for the customer. Resting b!tch face is definitely not getting a perfect sawtooth pattern.
Well, they sorta fixed it, but not fully to my niece's satisfaction. They were unable to completely remove the pattern, but it is improved and not so crunchy anymore. I tried to relate the info above from @Scott W and @Todd the Cleaner gave me. I'm not sure how well they followed it, particularly on the grooming part which was probably the most crucial part. Btw, she wound up putting it under her bed in the master bedroom I think to hide most of the rug!:)

I almost always use the sawtooth or shark tooth or whatever kind of tooth it is in my cleaning accept never on area rugs. If I feel like it's going to be an issue I don't do it. I have asked customers for their feedback on it and so far every single time I asked they loved it and thought it looks very professional. Sometimes though it's just not practical. After the experience recently with my very long time customer I'm going to be even more judicious in using it.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Viscose=Paper

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I might bury it in citric acid and groom it. However its a cheap rug so I would just bury it in trash.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What he did wrong.
1. Cleaned it with no knowledge of what was doing. Viscose rug, needs to be cleaned like silk.
2. Used a TM on it, so it is still dirty.
3. Didn’t groom it.
4. Most likely didn’t speed dry it.

What should he do now.
1. Rinse the rug again with no detergent.
2. Groom the rug with a carding brush. Bottom to top first, then top to bottom.
3. Start the speed drying process.
4. Do step 2 every 15 minutes until the rug is dry.
5. If that doesn’t fix it, send it to an inplant cleaner.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I’m kinda surprised anyone leaves a pattern on any carpet. I always try to leave no visible sign I cleaned the carpet except it being clean.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I might bury it in citric acid and groom it. However, it's a cheap rug so I would just bury it in trash.
Cheap made viscose garbage perhaps, but to me and to her 1,200 bucks ain't exactly throw away money. If I were on the consumer end of this scenario I'd be angry. I think of it like this, would I rather take that 1,200 bucks and put it through a paper shredder or buy something useful with it? She probably thought she was getting a nice rug that would last for years. She just got a rude awakening like I'm sure many purchasers of this crap have and will get.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
What he did wrong.
1. Cleaned it with no knowledge of what was doing. Viscose rug, needs to be cleaned like silk.
2. Used a TM on it, so it is still dirty.
3. Didn’t groom it.
4. Most likely didn’t speed dry it.

What should he do now.
1. Rinse the rug again with no detergent.
2. Groom the rug with a carding brush. Bottom to top first, then top to bottom.
3. Start the speed drying process.
4. Do step 2 every 15 minutes until the rug is dry.
5. If that doesn’t fix it, send it to an inplant cleaner.
That actually sounds like it could fix it. What you said about using the carding brush makes me a little nervous though. Have you actually used one on viscose? I only ask because I would be afraid it would fray the material since viscose is so weak of a fiber.

I also got to thinking and wondered if a good vapor steamer might work on something like this? To me, it seems like the low moisture and high heat of a vapor steamer could work.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
just wash the damned thing properly and groom it several times during the drying process. What if he fractured the pile with the wand? well, have him pay it. done!

That rug has not been fixed

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
The carding brush is the best grooming tool for viscose. It should be tilted 45 to 70 degrees from vertical and just the edge of the tool used to groom the rug. Use with a light touch. This will not harm the viscose. I have done so many times.