Violently Badgered rug - SAVED!!!

LisaWagner

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
Remember the rug that my competitor's poorly trained technician tore apart a few weeks ago?

Well - now it's fixed! (Good thing we are nice to our competitors!) Eight major tears repaired by my mother Kate.

Shredded03.jpg

Like it never happened...

Shredded03b.jpg

More photos on the latest Rug Chick post:

=> RUG CHICK: Badgered Rug Saved!

Hooray!
Lisa

Dusty

Oct 2, 2008
Victoria BC canada
www.therughub.com
Real Name
Stephen (DUSTY) Roberts
Business Location
Canada
Repaired rug looks great Lisa. Just a reminder to you and the rest of the industry that all good tools can damage anything you are working on and its YOUR own fault, rarely the equipments and especially not the instructors.

Lisa I know you have been a "little" hard on some of the competive instructors for rug cleaning and shifted the blame for their students errors to the instructors, but I will mention that just like your competition, I know of one of your students that has messed up his clients rugs, but rest assured I do not blame you, nor does he.

On the other hand, I do know a LOT of folks in this industry that have benefited hugely from your fine training and are building succesfull rug care business's, and I'm gonna bet that your "southern" competition have trained more people then you and have even more success stories to brag about :)

I'm looking forward to seeing you at Connections Lisa, please make sure you bring your boots and come on over and play in our wash pit and show us some of your "rug warrier" procedures where you don't have to morgage your family's future to clean rugs!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks Dusty for "Helping Us to get the MOST out of Rugs" ;-)

LisaWagner

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
Repaired rug looks great Lisa. Just a reminder to you and the rest of the industry that all good tools can damage anything you are working on and its YOUR own fault, rarely the equipments and especially not the instructors.

Lisa I know you have been a "little" hard on some of the competive instructors for rug cleaning and shifted the blame for their students errors to the instructors, but I will mention that just like your competition, I know of one of your students that has messed up his clients rugs, but rest assured I do not blame you, nor does he.

On the other hand, I do know a LOT of folks in this industry that have benefited hugely from your fine training and are building succesfull rug care business's, and I'm gonna bet that your "southern" competition have trained more people then you and have even more success stories to brag about :)

I'm looking forward to seeing you at Connections Lisa, please make sure you bring your boots and come on over and play in our wash pit and show us some of your "rug warrier" procedures where you don't have to morgage your family's future to clean rugs!

Dusty - you might ask the "southern" crew about rugs actually ruined IN class, and the location that they accidentally flooded with several inches of water in Florida. I've never ruined a rug in class... or flooded a location I taught at. Those are big boo-boo's.

The IICRC course as it stands does not prepare cleaners for building and running a successful cleaning operation. I asked on of the east coast instructors how many have gone through his sponsoring of the RCT courses in the past two years - he said 70. I asked him how many of them were now actively washing rugs on a regular basis AFTER getting certified - and he had ONE that had.

Cleaners may be leaving with having had an interesting course - but there is a lack of confidence that is leading to running out and becoming a rug expert.

Now, I know you need to support these classes because Aaron and Ruth & Jeff sell your equipment, and it gives you the chance to sell your goods. I get that, and that's fine... I have nothing against people selling products in a course (though technically these IICRC instructors are NOT supposed to promote specific products, and get a rebate from their sale to the students... but that's an IICRC issue, and not a Rug Badger issue...)

So my issue is more that they are being directed through the instruction to buy particular products, and to memorize facts for a test that do not tie directly to executing the craft in the best way, and in the end... it may get some to buy stuff - like Aaron's pit and chemicals, or Jeff's pit and grids and "finisher" and encap chemicals, or your equipment ... but the students have wider options that that, that I just think they need to be aware of.

I've sold your equipment. I don't use it, but I don't dissuade others from buying it, because for some it's a great fit. Others, it's financially not the time. And some, just don't need it.

This rug here was torn by the Badger, due to operator neglect. If anything, I believe anyone who sees this will take care to NOT let this happen - and so no one is harmed. And, they can see that it's fixable... which was the point of the post, to showcase the repair.

Thanks,

Lisa

LisaWagner

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
It pulled the rug up into the rotating beaters and tore it that way. The way to avoid that is to lay a piece of Tyvek down on top of the rug and keep the piece from getting sucked up into it.

Lisa

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
How did the tears occur from use of the Badger?

Don't let her kid you. She was texting while driving the Badger. :D

J/K, how have you been Lisa. Hope all is well.

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
I was actually considering buying a Rug Badger because we are doing a lot more oriental area rugs now than in the past (at our warehouse), with great results. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy anything that can shred a rug like that, operator error or not. Thanks for posting these pics.

Havi

Sep 11, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Javier Guerrero
Business Location
United States
I was actually considering buying a Rug Badger because we are doing a lot more oriental area rugs now than in the past (at our warehouse), with great results. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy anything that can shred a rug like that, operator error or not. Thanks for posting these pics.

der have you ever driven with a girl ? make up phone calls and texting lead to disaster. i hope you could run one better man

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
Dusty has made a modification I saw in one of his videos specifically for this issue. It is the addition of a membrane material that protects the rug from the beaters. I'm sure Dusty can link the vid.

I wouldnt take this example as a "diss" against rug badgers. They are a good piece of equipment, but as with any equipment, must be used properly.

I could destroy a rug with my truckmount too if I really wanted to, does that mean we should not buy truckmounts? :p

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Deron, Mr. Baldwin is absolutely correct. We have had a Rug Badger for years, and I was wholly surprised when I saw the pic, and read it had been damaged by the Badger. Never seen anything of that nature before. We tore one, recently, when one of the guys was in the pit trying to move a rug that was a bit big for one person. He grabbed it by the corner and pulled, and it tore the weft fibers apart. Needless to say, we roll the corner prior to pulling, now...

Rug Badger is a great investment. The soil it will beat out of a rug is amazing, and it's an excellent tool to have. Don't let this one mistake someone made turn you off.

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
I can get the soil out of area rugs with a Pile Lifter vac with no risk of shredding the rug.