Veterinary Rubber Mats How To Clean

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Dry sweep or vac first, a lot of that soil is non-soluble and will come up easier that way

Spray with non-corrosive disinfectant like Benefect or Bac-Shield, allow 5-10 minute dwell time

Use a rubber-specific cleaning agent (like Flexi-Clean from NCL) and the tool of your choice

Go over with conditioner/protectant (like Flexi-Sheen, also from NCL)

The disinfectant step is very important - some nasty critter diseases like parvovirus can last in a dry, dormant state for up to a year and can be reactivated by warm water.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Dry sweep or vac first, a lot of that soil is non-soluble and will come up easier that way

Spray with non-corrosive disinfectant like Benefect or Bac-Shield, allow 5-10 minute dwell time

Use a rubber-specific cleaning agent (like Flexi-Clean from NCL) and the tool of your choice

Go over with conditioner/protectant (like Flexi-Sheen, also from NCL)

The disinfectant step is very important - some nasty critter diseases like parvovirus can last in a dry, dormant state for up to a year and can be reactivated by warm water.
You wouldn't clean before the disinfect?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Dry cleaning first, yes, to remove any gross soiling and non-soluble crud that might get in the way of the disinfectant. Just like mold.

I would disinfect before starting the wet cleaning, to ensure you don't knock anything viable into the air with your pressurized water.

Back in my younger days as a vet tech, it was my job to swab out the rooms and cages where the parvo puppies and heartworm cases were kept. We used chlorhexidine, which is very nasty stuff, and I was on my hands and knees in the kennels breathing those fumes in til I got dizzy and had to back out. I do not remember those incidents fondly, and I'm still worried about what has happened to my chromasomes, lol. Today's disinfectants are much more user-friendly.

Last edited:

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
There's also Diversey Proffi for rubber mats.

Dry cleaning first, yes, to remove any gross soiling and non-soluble crud that might get in the way of the disinfectant. Just like mold.

I would disinfect before starting the wet cleaning, to ensure you don't knock anything viable into the air with your pressurized water.

Back in my younger days as a vet tech, it was my job to swab out the rooms and cages where the parvo puppies and heartworm cases were kept. We used chlorhexidine, which is very nasty stuff, and I was on my hands and knees in the kennels breathing those fumes in til I got dizzy and had to back out. I do not remember those incidents fondly, and I'm still worried about what has happened to my chromasomes, lol. Today's disinfectants are much more user-friendly.
I'd love to be able to pick your brain on maintaining a waxed vet floor that's about to cause me to kill someone. ;)

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Neo-Gen, Canberra, and Zoetis are all well-known brands of veterinary cleaners and disinfectants. Their active ingredients are much the same as those used in our industry, but these companies pay for testing and labeling specifically for veterinary use, so it's worth covering your butt and using appropriate agents for this one.

As far as I can tell, you can buy virtually any cleaning product from any of those companies online without having a license.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Neo-Gen, Canberra, and Zoetis are all well-known brands of veterinary cleaners and disinfectants. Their active ingredients are much the same as those used in our industry, but these companies pay for testing and labeling specifically for veterinary use, so it's worth covering your butt and using appropriate agents for this one.

As far as I can tell, you can buy virtually any cleaning product from any of those companies online without having a license.
Amy do you have any experience with those products or any on waxed floors to remove the oils associated with animal fur and yet still disinfect? It seems like there's no one product that can do either.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
You're right, Mike, most of the time it's a two-step process. Just like with human debris, disinfectants and gross soils don't mix well. I'm sure the way we did it back in my days wasn't proper - like I said, I was using Nolvasan without a mask of any sort.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
You're right, Mike, most of the time it's a two-step process. Just like with human debris, disinfectants and gross soils don't mix well. I'm sure the way we did it back in my days wasn't proper - like I said, I was using Nolvasan without a mask of any sort.
Now if I could just get that point drilled into the facilities head I'd save on gray hairs!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Good luck talking a vet into changing his or her mind on something, lol. They are by and large wonderful people with huge hearts, but many are afflicted with a God complex that makes them deaf to anything that contradicts their own personal opinions.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Good luck talking a vet into changing his or her mind on something, lol. They are by and large wonderful people with huge hearts, but many are afflicted with a God complex that makes them deaf to anything that contradicts their own personal opinions.
Thanks. I should take your point and give up cause it's already been a 2 year battle :D

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Heh, try working for one for over a decade. It doesn't get any better. But like I said, good heart beneath the arrogant exterior most of the time.

ericblair

Feb 8, 2019
Real Name
ericblair
In the pet world doing carpet or area rug cleaning without disinfectant is unbearable. So above shared things are necessary from all sides.