Vehicle | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Vehicle

jasdavis09

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Jason
How many folks here allow their employees to take their work van home with them. What are simenpros and cons to this?

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
Leaves you open to liability if they behave badly after work... doing side work without your knowledge ... I can name more

Reactions: jasdavis09

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
How many folks here allow their employees to take their work van home with them. What are simenpros and cons to this?
We were allowed to take our work truck home with us on occasion back in the day. Had a pretty cool boss. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Our company did water damage restoration work as well as carpet cleaning. We let the tech on call for the week take the van home. We put a minimum amount of fans and a dehu in it so he could go straight to a water loss if one came in.

For the employees that had worked for us several years, I also let them take van home. They had to wash it and keep it clean and in good repair. If they did not, they lost the privilege. The van was a great billboard being driven home and back by the tech as long as it looked clean.

I would not do this for an employee I did not trust 100%, as they could do side jobs.

jasdavis09

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Jason
Our company did water damage restoration work as well as carpet cleaning. We let the tech on call for the week take the van home. We put a minimum amount of fans and a dehu in it so he could go straight to a water loss if one came in.

For the employees that had worked for us several years, I also let them take van home. They had to wash it and keep it clean and in good repair. If they did not, they lost the privilege. The van was a great billboard being driven home and back by the tech as long as it looked clean.

I would not do this for an employee I did not trust 100%, as they could do side jobs.
With modern tech like GPS tracking systems in not worried about side jobs. I'll know when the van is moving and where it is at all times.

Reactions: Scott W

jasdavis09

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Jason
Do you really want to babysit it? When I am not working I don't want to be worrying about where a van might be.
I hear you Harry and you make a very valid point. The way the GPS works is that it would alert me if the van was moving at an inappropriate time. My thought in this is that I could hire a guy a couple of cites away from me giving me a broader reach into the market without having to spend a tin of money on driving or paying someone to drive. They could roll straight from their own house and have their own route.

Reactions: Scott W

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Also have to wory about it being properlyy heated during the winter months. Had an emploee once his kid unplugged the heater that was in it without him knowing took 3000 dollars in parts and an entire day of me working on it to fix the freeze damage. Also had an employee once that was detailing cars with my machine at his house, he apparently was doing well with it cause I had another employee tell me he had em stacked 10 deep one day, next day the hour meter had went up six hours from the day before lol ( my trucks had GPS whch was ineffective when it's parked in his drive way)

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Hard to trust people these days, but if you can trust them i agree with you about extending market share

jasdavis09

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Jason
Also have to wory about it being properlyy heated during the winter months. Had an emploee once his kid unplugged the heater that was in it without him knowing took 3000 dollars in parts and an entire day of me working on it to fix the freeze damage. Also had an employee once that was detailing cars with my machine at his house, he apparently was doing well with it cause I had another employee tell me he had em stacked 10 deep one day, next day the hour meter had went up six hours from the day before lol ( my trucks had GPS whch was ineffective when it's parked in his drive way)
That's the kind of info I was looking for. Never thought about someone detailing cars at home wit it. What did you do about it?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
When he came in the morning after i confirmed it i took the keys and said "Bye Felicia". What was even worse is he truly believed he did nothing wrong and I was an A-hole for firing him lol

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
15 years ago I found out after the fact that my own brother had been smoking pot and drinking with other employees while out with the van

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
I let one of my employees take a van home and caught him doing side jobs on me. Fired him. The Crazy this was, is that he is my brothers brother in law. Still see him at family gatherings. It's still awkward. Still think he's an a**h***

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins

You will find that unless you really know/trust them they will be extra hard on your van/equipment to point of regret... it’s something at minimum would need to be really really earned...also can’t be understated you’re company name is on that van they can make you look good or bad not to mention any kind of liability