Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Ok so we are beginning to get alot of calls for strip and wax. Not to mention floor maintenance burnishing etc. I get the idea of stripping and using my 175 for that. What about after is sealing required? After that 4 coats of finish w/ 30 min between coats? What's everyone's plan of attack on these types of floors? What yields the best results? I'm nervous I have never done waxing before.

TMF Big Belly Crew Founder

bIGPoPpa

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Real Name
Meatball Parm
Business Location
United States
DON'T use sealer.....strip and your choice of wax.....5 or 6 coats. There are so many diff ways and techniques of doing this. What question do you have specifically?

Reactions: Bigshark

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
I'm looking for how people are doing this step by step. I have never done Vct before other than a quick mop. I have a restaurant owner who wants me to take over three jobs. I watched the YouTube videos and stayed at a holiday inn express but still want to make sure I do it correct. It would be a great cash infusion to pick these up.

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
DON'T use sealer.....strip and your choice of wax.....5 or 6 coats. There are so many diff ways and techniques of doing this. What question do you have specifically?
That's another thing I was wondering all the videos I watched they never sealed it. I was wondering if it was really needed.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I'm looking for how people are doing this step by step. I have never done Vct before other than a quick mop. I have a restaurant owner who wants me to take over three jobs. I watched the YouTube videos and stayed at a holiday inn express but still want to make sure I do it correct. It would be a great cash infusion to pick these up.

If you need some help I would be happy to come down and help you on your first job.

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
If you need some help I would be happy to come down and help you on your first job.
My first one is tiny it's at a little shopping mall. Maybe 500 sq feet of black and white checkerboard style Vct. Do you use sealer Todd?

bIGPoPpa

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Real Name
Meatball Parm
Business Location
United States
If you seal the VCT it is going to be a pain in the ass to try to remove the sealer later on consecutive strips. And if it sealer yellows or scratches ....you have to remove the sealer to remove the yellow or any scratches.

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Also what do I need to complete the job? I got stripper, finish, black pad to remove old crud, mops w/ heads, mop bucket w/ wringer, finish head. Am I missing something?

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
If you seal the VCT it is going to be a pain in the ass to try to remove the sealer later on consecutive strips. And if it sealer yellows or scratches ....you have to remove the sealer to remove the yellow or any scratches.
Thank you it's tips like this I was after.

AdmiralClean

Poster
Premium VIP
Mar 13, 2007
Alabama
Go to your local janitorial supply house and ask them for their best stripper and wax.

Read the directions on the back of each product.

You have now graduated stripping and waxing university.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
My first one is tiny it's at a little shopping mall. Maybe 500 sq feet of black and white checkerboard style Vct. Do you use sealer Todd?

for VCT you will want to use wax. Wax in itself is actually a type of sealer. Depending on the condition of the floor we may need to strip the floor all the way down to the VCT and apply several coats of wax. If you can get them on a maintenance schedule you can go in every 3 months and just do a scrub and recoat where you only need to apply 1 coat of wax and then once a year or so you will do a full strip and re-wax job.

I actually just did a strip and wax job the other day with Jeff (black tie detailing) on a concrete job that the customer has been waxing in the past. We stripped off all the old wax and applied new just like we will need to do on the VCT. Check out this thread http://www.truckmountforums.com/threads/blacktie-todd-the-cleaner-and-a-brazilian-wax.41386/

I have all the supplies we would need for a 500 sq ft job already.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
You can burnish the floor between coats to help harden the finish, but it may not be necessary if cost is an issue.

Or offer a burnishing program, monthly is common to help take out scuffs and extend the life between scrub and re-coats.

bIGPoPpa

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Real Name
Meatball Parm
Business Location
United States
Once you strip....don't use a mop and wringer to pick up. Do you have access to a wet vac with front squeegee mount attachment??...Use this to pick up the solution. You might have better luck with a cheap regular wet vac....hose and squeegee attachment. Mop and bucket creates a mess.

Try the stripper free method with the diamond grit pads....or if condition of wax is not that bad used the 3m surface prep pads.

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Go to your local janitorial supply house and ask them for their best stripper and wax.

Read the directions on the back of each product.

You have now graduated stripping and waxing university.
Thanks admiral! I have joined the worlds elite :)

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Once you strip....don't use a mop and wringer to pick up. Do you have access to a wet vac with front squeegee mount attachment??...Use this to pick up the solution. You might have better luck with a cheap regular wet vac....hose and squeegee attachment. Mop and bucket creates a mess.

Try the stripper free method with the diamond grit pads....or if condition of wax is not that bad used the 3m surface prep pads.
Yes I forgot I have a huge wet vac to pick it up I did see that part. How about pricing? What would be fair on this job? I have a price we agreed on already but I'm curious if I did ok?

bIGPoPpa

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Real Name
Meatball Parm
Business Location
United States
If you are going to do it by conventional methods: (forgive me if I leave something out)

Line mop bucket with trash bag and fill with stripper

Lay stripper on floor with cut end mop head pretty heavily and let dwell....be careful not to splash on walls or moulding....in some cases I even protect with plastic depending on area

Scrape edges (unger scraper) or use a doodle bug with pad to remove finish from edges and corners

Use 175 on floor with black pad and add more stripper as needed....be careful it will be like an ice rink during this time

Once you reach the VCT....you will be able to hear this and "know" when you are at this point after doing this several times ....move on to next area....don't let stripper even somewhat dry at all after using the 175 and try to pick up as soon as possible...much easier to do with wet vac than to mop it up

Once all area is stripped and solution picked up....neutralize area with solution and mop well and let air dry

Lay wax using a microfiber mop.....first two coats will soak in and won't see shine until third coat. 5 or 6 coats are not necessary so close to walls or behind toilets...you are just making more work for yourself to remove later.

Time between coats will vary...usually 30 min but all depends on ambient temp and conditions. Don't lay another coat if still tacky.

Burnish floor in two days....or the next...depends on a lot of factors...but play it safe and wait two.

That is an over simplified method but the basics.

bIGPoPpa

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Real Name
Meatball Parm
Business Location
United States
Pricing depends on a lot....is it an open area?? Lots of furnishings to move?.

Condition of floor?

I have gone as low as .25 and as high as .70...depends on area and if the customer is worried about quality or not.

In the end....the customer gets what they pay for.

Dr Cleaning

Jun 19, 2008
Cherry Hill NJ
www.southjerseycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Neil Lapinson
I always try to go with a Name brand product and not from the box stores I like NCL from philly and use Bare Bones stripper. And I use their Floor finish called ONE its a finish and sealer together saves a lot of time.

You Need 2 mop buckets maybe 3 depends on how you are going to apply the finish. I apply with a wax mop and pour the finish right on the floor so I only use 2 . 1 for the stripper and 1 for rinsing. So you will need 3 mop heads.
1 for stripper 1 for rinsing 1 for waxing( i use a white and blue just for waxing)

Follow the strippers instructions for mixing with water I add 1gl to 4gls of water and mop on heavy or very wet and let sit for at least 10 minutes I do keep on going over with the mop just to keep everything moving.

Scrub with a slow speed machine and a black pad or Hi-Pro stripping . Then use a doddle bug or scrapper to do the edges.

Pick up slurry with a wet vac and mop with the rinse mop asap and vac rinse up.
You may have to strip a 2nd time if you dont get it all the 1st.

Apply the wax buy massaging it in making sure you get all areas. Let dry completely corners and bathrooms take longer to dry.

Apply at least 3 coats. DO NOT BUFF BETWEEN COATS this will cause a haze and you have to start all over again. Most manufactures to suggest at least 48 hours before you buff.

I hope i did not forget anything if so feel free to PM me

Good Luck
PS Pricing sucks stripping and waxing takes 4 times longer then carpet cleaning and you end up with the same sq ft prices

AdmiralClean

Poster
Premium VIP
Mar 13, 2007
Alabama
Or, you can pick up the slurry and "mop" with your TM and spinner tool. Unless it's night and you don't want the doors open.

Or you are on the 15th floor ...