VCT nightmare?

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
Just started a VCT job today, 1200+ s.f.
We think we got it all stripped and after rinsing you can still some wax on areas. Some areas we reapplied stripper and hit again.
Lots of the VCT is stripped down but a few areas still show wax. Cannot see it when wet .
Can you apply wax over this or does the tile have to be stripped completely down to raw VCT?

Spent hours on this with a good stripper, Hawk 20" 175 with Black Pad.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
If it is not yellowed then you can apply new finish. I would try an area and see what it looks like. :)

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
It's best to get it all off, but it's not unusual for spots of old wax to stay on the floor.

You can apply wax over it, but it may show through on the new wax. Are the spots yellowed, discolored or lumpy?

How does it look wet after you mop it? That's a good indication of how it will look with wax.

Do you have any baseboard stripper? Use that on the spots and a pole scrapper.

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
When wet you cannot see the wax. but when rinsed and dried you can see it.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
When wet you cannot see the wax. but when rinsed and dried you can see it.
Always. That is why you should try a recoat on one area. Everything looks shiny when wet but the vct that has no wax looks flat when dry.

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
image.jpg

This was after the first strip.
Second strip came out much better then this pick, but gives you idea of what I am looking at.
Like i said when wet you cannot see it. That is what is driving me nuts.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Yep. There is still wax there. Looks like a bunch. WIll you be doing regular maintenance on this one?

Reactions: FloorCareMD

EverythingFlooring

Mar 28, 2014
You called it...it's a nightmare strip...they can pop up when you least expect it...it sux...we've all been there...strip it now...strip it again...it's always better to finish it when you know it's all off...rather than when you think it's all off...you gone this far it's just a little further...swap out everything mops, pads, stripper...etc...do it again...I've worked 2-24 hour shifts in my career...both on nightmare strips...one was 25 hrs just to strip,with propane equipment...then 6 hrs sleep...then a solid 8hrs(3 guys) to lay 5 coats of finish...the only question is...can you get more from customer by going the extra mile?...or is the customer worth it to just get it done and be "that guy" that gets it done?...I feel ya Broseph...if I was there I'd get in there and help...but I've been drinking...might not be the best on a slippery floor right now...

Reactions: aloha one

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
We did a second strip and most of the areas now are down to RAW VCT. Some areas still show some of this. Not as bad.
Problem is when wet it disappears you cannot tell if you are even hitting it.

I was told the last company stipped it in 2 hrs. like 4 years ago
Then the volunteers of the organization had waxed over this since then. Dirt and all!

EverythingFlooring

Mar 28, 2014
We did a second strip and most of the areas now are down to RAW VCT. Some areas still show some of this. Not as bad.
Problem is when wet it disappears you cannot tell if you are even hitting it.

I was told the last company stipped it in 2 hrs. like 4 years ago
Then the volunteers of the organization had waxed over this since then. Dirt and all!
Let it completely dry, and re strip those areas that need it...

FloorCareMD

Apr 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Mike Craig
Business Location
United States
Johnsons Technique has been an ENEMY for many floor pro's. (from the brochure.Google it )
Reduces Stripping Times And Chemical Usage
Unique formulation allows for stripping of worn top coats
of Johnson Wax Professional finish without removing
Technique™ base coats.

That stuff is a Semi-permanent sealer for vct that some boob chemists claim is supposed to protect the vct from harsh stripper chemicals. The Johnson goons never thought of what happens in the real world and not their lab, which is the finish coats wear and then the dirt and foot traffic now is making direct contact with the Technique sealer. It gets dirty and also wears. They now warn to always make sure to keep 3 to 4 coats of finish on the sealer. Result is usually what is seen in the photo. Did too many jobs cussing at this stuff. I tried their Freedom and Pro strip with very poor results trying to remove this crap. Good advice above too. Test an area with your finish. It should hide after a few coats. We usually try to find out just what is on the floor before bidding. Problem is most in-house people have no idea. Had one guy at a school gym we were stripping tell us that the wax was....and I quote..."you know, the kind in buckets, I think".

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Krall

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I've done a few places that were run by veterans. They always tell me about a paste wax they had to use, rub it in on your hands and knees and buff it with a machine. Say it lasts 'forever'. When I ask though they can't tell me much about it, but say it's not car wax.

Mike, do you know anything about that?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall