VCT is it a good addon to my business? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

VCT is it a good addon to my business?

Mar 3, 2017
Arkansas
www.supremecleanfloors.com
Real Name
Justin
I have recently been getting several request on doing VCT and wanted you guys opinion on if it a good addon for a carpet cleaning company and if there is any money in it. I realize yes it goes with my business but I not sure what to price these jobs and what all new equipment I will be required to add. I am a new company so I am trying to get all the business I can but I also do not enjoy working for nothing so if that is what VCT will get me then I am not interested. So if you guys would please fill me full of pro knowledge and information on estimated pricing and pros and cons of doing VCT.

Thanks

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I thought about getting into it also. Would go hand and hand. Check with your insurance to see if they cover it. I know my insurer specifically said no to strip and wax.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
It is something you either need to do well or not at all. You won't make much money unless you invest some and do it right. It can be decent, but it's generally evening or night work. Also the fumes tend to be worse than carpet fumes imo. Never hurts to learn something new.

Reactions: Mike Krall

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I'd rather do VCT than any other kind of work. It's what I started with over 25 years ago. There is damn good money in it if priced right. The profit margins far exceed carpet cleaning. Yes there are draw back like someone mentioned not the best hours. But factor than in when pricing the job. Remember your end job (like carpet cleaning) is only as good as your equipment. Maybe I've been doing it so long I believe it's far easier than carpet cleaning. With carpet cleaning besides having to be part chemist you have to be a part time mechanic. The latter is my big down fall. But with VCT if you just do all the correct steps and have an eye for detail it's easy peasy beautiful. Just remember customer is always responsible for moving EVERYTHING off the VCT to be stripped. If you have to move things bill it at $55 per man hours and include in your quote your not responsible for any damages occurred by moving items. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Robert Bassett

Nov 22, 2016
Real Name
Robert Bassett
Bid 40 cents square foot but have a minimum of $350 a job, but I'm in Florida so take it with a grain of salt. Always buy used machines and high Quality stripper and wax.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: Floor Restore

Danbo

Apr 29, 2017
Real Name
Dan Moore
We added it on over a year ago and it has been very good for us and very profitable. Our customers have been extremely pleased with our work and we are now being asked by a couple to be put on a 6 month or a yearly complete strip and wax schedule. We can get at least 50% margins, but usually quit a bit better in most cases.

Last edited:

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
One of the happiest days of my life was when I was able to stop doing VCT. It can be very difficult and time consuming. You need to learn from a real professional. Nothing like applying what you think is the last coat of wax and when it dries there are blemishes that require you to start all the way over.

Just goes to show each person has their preference.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I did dozens of vct jobs and got pretty good at it. There are so many videos on youtube now so the learning curve will not be so bad. It's an excellent add on but you will need a selection of completely different equipment. Get the right stuff and you will make nearly $100 an hour. I charged $1 a sf for the first 100 square feet and 55 cents after that. Granted that was on jobs of less than 2000 sf.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
VCT can be quite profitable if you can do a stellar job that captures and keeps your larger customers. The key to it is knowing your finishes - a high-quality finish that lasts and looks darn good with minimum care can make you a hero. A cheap finish that scuffs out and looks pitiful a week after application will bump you out of the industry faster than you can say "lemme fix it", lol.

Aug 20, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Real Name
Sam Stewart
Business Location
United States
I am getting more into it and usually start at .55 per sq ft. A few weeks ago, I closed a group of 7 day cares that want each location done twice per year. Also, they agreed to pay within a week so I dropped it to .40. Make sure you have good quality equipment and buy quality wax. Too many people in all industries try to buy cheap and save their way into prosperity. It never works out. Buy the good stuff and you won't regret it.

Reactions: Avdo

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
No what ?? Pirates aren't lighting the world on fire buddy BUT our hockey club is rocking !!
No what ??
All the Best , Ed
It's not a good add on bud! I still do them but if I was looking for add ons, there's about 10 other things I would do first, which I already do...

We had a little hiccup with the pirates earlier this week, losing two out of three but were still on top!

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
This is a topic of interest. I wanted to open a thread a while ago about this for educational purposes.
I made some comparisons on the different services we most of us offer and a learned that VCT is widely and proudly done cheap and we all think it has to be this way why? that is the unanswered question I have always had about VCT so can you guys elaborate and tell me / us why VCT is done for measly $.55 a foot and you feel proud about your great price.

No offense intended I just want to get to the bottom of it.

Reactions: Tcc owner

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I have recently been getting several request on doing VCT and wanted you guys opinion on if it a good addon for a carpet cleaning company and if there is any money in it. I realize yes it goes with my business but I not sure what to price these jobs and what all new equipment I will be required to add. I am a new company so I am trying to get all the business I can but I also do not enjoy working for nothing so if that is what VCT will get me then I am not interested. So if you guys would please fill me full of pro knowledge and information on estimated pricing and pros and cons of doing VCT.

Thanks
Pricing is all over the place depending on your area . For some reason the cleaners in our
" South Land " get much less for the same service . Just like carpet cleaning it takes " experience " to do a great job . Productivity is the " key " like ALL cleaning . As far as equipment goes there's really no need to buy " new " and the " investment " can be small .
Pinosan , my dear brother , it can only be attributed to " mind set " . Why are some doing CGD for .08 cents per square foot and others MUCH MORE !!
All the Best , Ed