VCT Help!

NorthStarPro

May 3, 2018
Gore Bay, ON
www.northstarservices.ca
Real Name
Tavis
Hi all.

I closed a 51k contract for a grocery store. 2 full strip and wax per year and regular scrub and wax per month.

Im doing my first wax and the finish is coming out streaky. I think i didnt rinse enough so i strip and do it again. Still streaky. I strip again and apply with a mop. Still streaky...screw it and i lay 3 coats of finish down.

Turns out the temperature was fluxuating inside due to a new thermostat that was going from 55 to get 75 degrees and back again. I have the streaking and clouding consistant with cold floor during finish application.

I also have all the imperfections from using a mop like swirls, droplets and a little popcorning.

I have already tried dry electric burnishing. Is there anything else I can do?

Please help...Thanks!

Last edited:

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Nope. The temperature likely didnt have much to do with it imo. Likely the floor wasnt neutralized after stripping or it just didnt get stripped consistently enough. Taking over someone else's floor can be tough. You should use flat mops for waxing next time to eliminate some mop Mark's.

NorthStarPro

May 3, 2018
Gore Bay, ON
www.northstarservices.ca
Real Name
Tavis
Nope. The temperature likely didnt have much to do with it imo. Likely the floor wasnt neutralized after stripping or it just didnt get stripped consistently enough. Taking over someone else's floor can be tough. You should use flat mops for waxing next time to eliminate some mop Mark's.
Impossible that the floor wasnt rinsed enough. I neutralise then rinse with clean water. Not only this but I restripped just to be sure then rinsed even more. Same results. I originally stared with a flat mop system and suspected it was my floor pads that were giving me trouble. This is why I switched to a mop. No avail. I even discussed this with my sales rep. I was using Castleguard so it wasnt due to cheap finish either. This is why I suspect it was the floor temperature.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Floor temperature can have an issue. How ever it would be your cloudiness but not your mop marks. This is due to to much finish on your mop or the last coat wasn’t dry enough. Going by what your saying it’s the only variable left. Between Smtwn janitorial and myself we’d have a combined sixty years experience if it’s not what he’s suggested or what I’m telling you then listen to the sales man he’ll make up some bull ship lol!

NorthStarPro

May 3, 2018
Gore Bay, ON
www.northstarservices.ca
Real Name
Tavis
Floor temperature can have an issue. How ever it would be your cloudiness but not your mop marks. This is due to to much finish on your mop or the last coat wasn’t dry enough. Going by what your saying it’s the only variable left. Between Smtwn janitorial and myself we’d have a combined sixty years experience if it’s not what he’s suggested or what I’m telling you then listen to the sales man he’ll make up some bull ship lol!
Noted. However, if i applied finish with a mop horizontally and the streaking was vertically? This would indicate it was not the mop or application. I again point towards floor temperature.

Im more concerned about correction and how i can go about correcting some of these issues. Does burnishing work the same way on a cold floor opposed to a warm one?

Thanks.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Burnishing sometimes will fix streaking in the top two coats but not much past that. Use a hogs hair pad on a propane burnished and go over it several times. DO NOT LET THE PAD SIT IN THE SAME SPOT

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

NorthStarPro

May 3, 2018
Gore Bay, ON
www.northstarservices.ca
Real Name
Tavis
I mopped horizontally and the streaking is vertical. This cannot be due to my application. I have burnished several times. Some success. I will try a wet burnish next but I dont have access to a propane burnisher.

What would be the best way to strip a very small section of flooring? Taping off, use troubleshooter then strip with a putty knife? I dont want to strip down 5000 square feet again.

Thank you.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I’ve done lots of repairs taping off and using plastic sheet . So the answer is yes you can . Yes and Amen to what the above two gentlemen have offered as advice . Smtwn and Floorclean know this stuff . If the streaks are vertical on the tile and not coming out ...... you waxed over something still on that floor .
I’d bet a five dollar bill you didn’t pick up the stripper /rinse horizontally but up and down the aisle as normal walking . That said , your squeegee left streaks and it dried . You waxed over the streaks .
Unevenness in the floor contributed . If you have droplets showing your mop is to wet and this shows the swirls etc. you’re talking about . Flat mops are the way to go and I use the ones from Direct Mop Sales . One last thing ......... Damp mop that floor and let it dry real good before laying wax .
All the Best , Ed

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Ed, have you ever tried the microfibre web foot mop heads from rubber maid for waxing?
There the only ones we use for floor finishing. We switched over about ten years ago. There absolutely amazing for finishing. You have to be careful about your baseboards and edges as there thicker than a flat mop. But what’s so amazing is you can put down a very thick coat of finish without the slightest hint of any streaks. There’s no dripping of finish off of them when loading them with finish. Maybe pick one up and give it a go. There also excellent for your finial rinse before waxing. You know them annoying odd hairs that are still on the floor no mater how much you vacuum these tend to pick up all the small stuff and lock it into the microfibre.

Reactions: Common janitor

NorthStarPro

May 3, 2018
Gore Bay, ON
www.northstarservices.ca
Real Name
Tavis
I’ve done lots of repairs taping off and using plastic sheet . So the answer is yes you can . Yes and Amen to what the above two gentlemen have offered as advice . Smtwn and Floorclean know this stuff . If the streaks are vertical on the tile and not coming out ...... you waxed over something still on that floor .
I’d bet a five dollar bill you didn’t pick up the stripper /rinse horizontally but up and down the aisle as normal walking . That said , your squeegee left streaks and it dried . You waxed over the streaks .
Unevenness in the floor contributed . If you have droplets showing your mop is to wet and this shows the swirls etc. you’re talking about . Flat mops are the way to go and I use the ones from Direct Mop Sales . One last thing ......... Damp mop that floor and let it dry real good before laying wax .
All the Best , Ed
I still cannot see how rinsing is the issue. I rined these floors like no tomorrow.

Stripper laid down
scrub with swing machine
squeegee horizontally from baseboards
vacuum using walk behind
neutralise with floor neutraliser
clean mopped with clean water
New bucket
clean mopped with clean water.
New bucket
Clean mopped with clean water
New bucket
New bucket
Let dry
applied finish

I was even heavily rinsing out my clean mop and bucket after every refill after 2 applications of clean water. I was excessively rinsing the floor, anove and beyond. There is no way the issues are due to poor rinsing of the floor. There wasn't even any power residue by hand before i layed down finish.

There is something else at work here and it wasn't the rinse. This is why I suspect the floor was too cold.

Thanks.

Im going to painter's tape off the problem areas, strip with baseboard stripper then use a metal scraper to peel back the layers of some problem areas.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Stripper will soak through most painters tapes I've tried. Tapes that worked for me left a residue, which is annoying. I have a couple jobs I've struggled with that had some low spots with old wax that took 3 or 4 times to strip. It can be frustrating. Vct is great, till it isnt.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Ed, have you ever tried the microfibre web foot mop heads from rubber maid for waxing?
There the only ones we use for floor finishing. We switched over about ten years ago. There absolutely amazing for finishing. You have to be careful about your baseboards and edges as there thicker than a flat mop. But what’s so amazing is you can put down a very thick coat of finish without the slightest hint of any streaks. There’s no dripping of finish off of them when loading them with finish. Maybe pick one up and give it a go.
I will have to try one. I use flat mops but not webbed ones. They drip and we struggle with consistency of thickness.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
5,000 sq ft seems like a lot to try and rinse and neutralize with a bucket.

Perhaps an auto-scrubber would be in order for a job this size.

ibokural

May 31, 2009
Houston,TX
Real Name
Ibrahim Kural
Business Location
United States
I use scrubber to clean and rinse without ant problems past 10 years. Also stop using flat mop after couple of years ,I believe it uses too much wax and apply it unevenly.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
There the only ones we use for floor finishing. We switched over about ten years ago. There absolutely amazing for finishing. You have to be careful about your baseboards and edges as there thicker than a flat mop. But what’s so amazing is you can put down a very thick coat of finish without the slightest hint of any streaks. There’s no dripping of finish off of them when loading them with finish. Maybe pick one up and give it a go. There also excellent for your finial rinse before waxing. You know them annoying odd hairs that are still on the floor no mater how much you vacuum these tend to pick up all the small stuff and lock it into the microfibre.
I’ve seen them advertised but never used them . Thanks for letting me know !! Any help getting the stray hairs up is a huge help . Thanks again !!
All the Best , Ed

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Stripper will soak through most painters tapes I've tried. Tapes that worked for me left a residue, which is annoying. I have a couple jobs I've struggled with that had some low spots with old wax that took 3 or 4 times to strip. It can be frustrating. Vct is great, till it isnt.
Gaffers tape my friend. Used everything including medical tape working at a hospital. Always a pain . Grabbed a roll of gaffers tape working in schools and never looked back .
No residue on carpeting either . Hope it helps .
Always the Best , Ed

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Get some pictures of the problem might help. It could be that we are misinterpreting what it is you are describing. So if you can, some photos will help make sure we are all on the same page.

From what you have described, it really does sound like a rinse issue. I've done super markets where the floor was barely 40 degrees in the freezer aisle and we had zero trouble. Temperature tends to effect dry times more than anything.

Some info that I didn't see which could help us help you is what type of stripper are you using? What chemicals are you using to neutralize?

it also sounds like you are sorely lacking on proper equipment for something this size. At the very least a good auto scrubber. But I would look for a propane stripping machine to strip with, auto scrubber for rinsing, and propane burnisher instead of electric. You will be able to do around 10,000 sq ft a night with that equipment no problem. Right now, neutralizing and rinsing with mop and bucket, especially over and area that big, tells me you probably aren't neutralizing as well as you think you are.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I love those for mopping, never thought about using them to wax, I might have to try that too. I've been using these for applying wax and love the finish we get with them.

I use them on my 3M applicator system.