VCT gone wrong?

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
Assuming the company did not strip old wax properly any input im open to ideas or recommendations, thanks.
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1452304075.564289.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1452304092.305752.jpg

ALL CLEAN

Apr 17, 2012
Reno, Nevada
allcleanreno.com
Real Name
Chris Griego
Business Location
United States
Thats a big 10-4 on not getting it stripped properly whoever did it. If at all, it looks like they just laid finish on top of it. I would take your 175 and put a High Performance Black pad on it. Your going to need a good stripper. Might have to strip 3 or 4 times to get all the way off. I like Buckeye's Juggernaut ultimate cold water stripper. Assuming you have a shovel nose to pick up the stripper, if not your going to need a good squeegee and shopvac.

Reactions: Dafloorman

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
Yeah I have a feeling the wax is very very thick

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Definitely old finish mike, depends on how many coats are on top of the old stuff. Should come right off though with some work

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
More than likely whoever stripped it didnt scrub the floor and just mopped on the stripper. Those dark spots are the areas where the old finish is at, which is helpful for you to see before you start. Once you restrip, probably twice, clean and scrub again with plain water before nuetralizing. Afterwords, mop the floor with a neutral cleaner. Look at the floor from a distance and if you see the dark spots while the floor is still wet, then you know that is where you have leftover stripper that still needs removed. Whatever the floor looks like when its wet is what it will look like when your finished with the finish application.

Reactions: Dafloorman

Drew Moore

Nov 16, 2015
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Drew Moore
Business Location
United States
I used to work nights at a hospital in the medical records and I spent untold hours in the archives pulling research charts..anyways they always do janitor stuff at night and one week they were stripping the vct and every night more layers were stripped off and it looked exactly like your picture but without the new wax..so my point is I've seen proper strip and wax of vct and this picture is as if someone got lazy and decided the hell with this, the old wax is taking too much time to strip off and put down new wax hoping no one would notice or care.

FloorCareMD

Apr 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Mike Craig
Business Location
United States
I have seen jobs like this too many times living in a town with a Johnsons distributor. Do a test spot BEFORE you commit to the job. Sometimes it is crappy designed floor sealer like a product from Johnsons called Technique. That stuff is next to impossible to remove because it was designed to not be removed with stripping procedures. The moron chemists there thought it would be a great idea to have permanent protection on the vct from the stripper solutions. (??)
Problem is the sealer yellows/darkens over time and the poor fella that has to strip it ends up with a floor that looks a lot like your photos. Traffic/abrasion wears down some areas and these strip off but what gets left behind is ugly. Don't always assume it is the previous floor guy that did a poor job.

FloorCareMD

Apr 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Mike Craig
Business Location
United States
Then again, it could be those 6 cent per foot companies that do Rite Aids, etc.. for those maintenance management labor pimps.

skooli

Oct 12, 2011
NV
Real Name
Jimmie
Business Location
United States
Get you a stripper that has a good amount of benzyl alcohol in it. It will melt through urethane fortified finishes and sealers and simply tear through acrylic finishes. Apply to the floor and let it dwell for 15 minutes. Dont even agitate, just keep the floor uniformly covered. Pick up the solution quickly without agitating with a front squeegee mounted wet vac or similar but immediately apply a second round of stripper right behind that before it has a chance to dry. Let it dwell again then this time agitate and pickup.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Assuming the company did not strip old wax properly any input im open to ideas or recommendations, thanks.View attachment 58471View attachment 58472
Whoever cleaned it before , made a half assed effort to strip.
Probably used a short dwell and the wrong pad.
This will be an easy job.
Those greyed out areas will come out like new with stripper and a black pad.