Van totaled....what about payment for decals and removing equipment?

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
US insurance must work differently than Canadian. I have my truck mount on its own policy. Separate from the E-350. In a total loss I have it insured for 40k. Replacement value.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
As long as their bolted to the van all of my truckmounts are insured for 35,000. Only seperate policy i have is an inland marine for my restoration equipment.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
@jason wolfington just had a similar situation a few months back, had a new transit totaled by their insured. They will have to pay you for loss of business, i had to send a 3rd party forensic accountant of theirs sales figures for them to determine how much business was lost with me being down 1 truck your should be easy if its your only truck. If the vans totaled id be leary of the machine not having issues... machines work on fine tolerances if something tweaked or bent you may not have the same machine you did before the wreck, tell em if they dont want to pay for removal and reinstall they can buy the machine and everything in the van from you. Also they are fully responsible for the wrap its attached to and part of the van their insured destroyed. If they get to ridiculous let your insurance pay for it and they will sue the other persons insurance for reimbursement. Shouldnt raise your rates with a no fault accident, mine didnt. Might let them know the longer they try to dick you around the more the loss of business amount goes up every day. Took me almost a month to reach an agreement on mine and they paid me over 10,000 in loss of business
I would add to this that you should document every time the phone rings and you have to tell the customer "sorry, I can't get to your cleaning, my van is all busted up. Document how many rooms they want cleaned and all of that. Write down name of customer, phone number, time of call, services requested.

spod

Dec 5, 2013
US insurance must work differently than Canadian. I have my truck mount on its own policy. Separate from the E-350. In a total loss I have it insured for 40k. Replacement value.
Same here.
Are auto insurance only covers our vehicle.
Business insurance coveres the machine, tools/equipment, decals, and loss of use.
As well as all other related business insurance needs, damage to customer etc.

So there would be two policy's to go threw.
Or two deductibles to pay.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
I was told my policy only covers collision and not loss of income.

There is a TM still in the van, not worried about freezing as I live in the desert. I got an estimate this afternoon to have the TM removed and reinstalled in a different van.

They also said they will pay for the decals.

Adding the decals, reinstall of TM and towing it there and then to a junkyard will push totaling it a few $1,000 over the repair estimate. Plus they will still need to pay the body shop for tearing it down for the estimate.
Your or their policy may not cover but this and that but don't forget that it was not the insurance company that was at fault. If the person at fault does not have adequate insurance, then you can go after their assets but it would be best to have an attorney do that. Then you will have to enforce whatever judgment you are able to get. A lot of people who win judgments never follow through and enforce such judgments. Just because you win a judgment does not mean a check will be forthcoming.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The van is a 2007 Chevy express 2500....nothing "nice"...but it is mechanically perfect and very well maintained. It was an a/c service van until 4000 miles ago when I purchased it, so there hasn't been water inside the back or heavy loads. The van was already a salvage title from a wreck years ago (I knew all this when I purchased it). The insurance company is trying to use that to make the value of the van low and then trying to make the salvage value high to reduce what they owe me (because I want to keep the van and fix it). The damage doesn't look bad, but the "B" pilar behind the door is pushed up as well as the "A" pillar and it broke the windshield.

In central Texas, with the booming economy, finding good used cargo vans (under 10K) is not possible. Every good van is being used in a service or trade and they are not sold unless something is wrong with them or they are completely beat up.

I have considered taking the money and letting this van go and getting a 20K slightly used ford transit van, but I just can't see spending $15k when the van I have should last me a few more years.

HECK NO!!

that van still looks good.

Fight it dont let them pull one over you. they should repair it or compensate you for a commercial vehicle not a residental

Nick Southland

Feb 14, 2019
Real Name
Nick McRae
I went through a similar thing & ended up having to buy a new van, move the equipment, pay for the sign writing & keep paying the insurance until the claim was settled. I was able to keep the downtime short by doing this & only being off the road for 2 weeks. The claim took 11 & a half months to sort. I had to fight for every dollar & still lost out by thousands. My insurance has now excluded thing I did have covered & I can't get any one else to cover what I need protected. All you can do is fight for as long as you can but don't wait for them unless you have income protection insurance in-place. but if you don't get up & running asap you may loss you regularly customer. Best of luck

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Different states, different rules. If you don't think they are treating you fairly, talk to an attorney. Get better advice than from other cleaners.

If you had commercial coverage for your wrap, your equipment and such, you can file a claim with your own insurance company. They can go after the driver at fault.