Van totaled....what about payment for decals and removing equipment?

jason wolfington

Nov 2, 2014
Texas
Real Name
jason wolfington
Business Location
United States
My van was totaled by another driver running a red light. The other driver's insurance company determined my van is totaled, but doesn't want to pay me for the cost of the vinyl decal wrap (installed less than a year ago). They also said they would have to look into paying me for removal of the truckmount and equipment. I also don't know about loss of business or other compensation I can get. It has been a week and without a van, I have been missing jobs that I can't get to without this van.

Please let me know what some of you guys have gone through. I searched and found some helpful info in the forum, but it was pretty old.

Thanks
Jason

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
My van was totaled by another driver running a red light. The other driver's insurance company determined my van is totaled, but doesn't want to pay me for the cost of the vinyl decal wrap (installed less than a year ago). They also said they would have to look into paying me for removal of the truckmount and equipment. I also don't know about loss of business or other compensation I can get. It has been a week and without a van, I have been missing jobs that I can't get to without this van.

Please let me know what some of you guys have gone through. I searched and found some helpful info in the forum, but it was pretty old.

Thanks
Jason
Very sorry Jason about this happening. Wish there was some way I could help. Our insurance works differently in Canada. Wonder if there’s some way of us doing a lot of go find me page to help out in the short term Allen?

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
Probably the best advise is to get a attorney that handles accident cases. Some don't charge until you get payed. I had a similar accident,their ins. co. wouldn't work with me. I told them my back hurt and would have to see a Dr. They settled fast.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
@jason wolfington just had a similar situation a few months back, had a new transit totaled by their insured. They will have to pay you for loss of business, i had to send a 3rd party forensic accountant of theirs sales figures for them to determine how much business was lost with me being down 1 truck your should be easy if its your only truck. If the vans totaled id be leary of the machine not having issues... machines work on fine tolerances if something tweaked or bent you may not have the same machine you did before the wreck, tell em if they dont want to pay for removal and reinstall they can buy the machine and everything in the van from you. Also they are fully responsible for the wrap its attached to and part of the van their insured destroyed. If they get to ridiculous let your insurance pay for it and they will sue the other persons insurance for reimbursement. Shouldnt raise your rates with a no fault accident, mine didnt. Might let them know the longer they try to dick you around the more the loss of business amount goes up every day. Took me almost a month to reach an agreement on mine and they paid me over 10,000 in loss of business

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
One step at a time...it’s hard to do when tough times come.
Welcome to the totalled a truck club. Several of us have these past few weeks, including me.
Most adjusters are pretty good. They will go through their insurance first then yours. You’ll end up ok. Get receipts for the wrap ready to submit ASAP.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I feel your pain man.... man can’t believe they are dragging it out so long.
Oh I was told again today that they are going to total it as the estimate now is over $9600 to repair it so I asked for a copy of their report that determined the value of my van as I feel it is too low. They called me back and said the value might go higher with decals and other things, this is the 4th time they have said repair/total. I can not get another van for the $8300 they said it is valued at so I am going to tell them to repair it and submit my own report to them to determine the value.

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
1 ST Choice do you own a TM Is it being stored in a heated garage. What about freezing= tools, chemicals, loss of income.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
1 ST Choice do you own a TM Is it being stored in a heated garage. What about freezing= tools, chemicals, loss of income.
I was told my policy only covers collision and not loss of income.

There is a TM still in the van, not worried about freezing as I live in the desert. I got an estimate this afternoon to have the TM removed and reinstalled in a different van.

They also said they will pay for the decals.

Adding the decals, reinstall of TM and towing it there and then to a junkyard will push totaling it a few $1,000 over the repair estimate. Plus they will still need to pay the body shop for tearing it down for the estimate.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
you pay premiums to YOUR insurance company. YOUR insurance pays your claim. YOUR insurance then goes after the other insurance company to reimburse them.

ALSO, to total a van they have to take into consideration the total amount of the VAN AND TRUCKMOUNT because the truckmount is attached and part of the van. It should be included as one item in YOUR insurance policy

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
what kind of insurance do you have and with you?
insurance policy and insurer can have a different outcome. Some insurers are really good and help the process fast. The other party's insurance will always be against you if you deal directly

jason wolfington

Nov 2, 2014
Texas
Real Name
jason wolfington
Business Location
United States
Update...today the insurance adjuster called me and said they would let me keep the van for $2000 (salvage value) off the before accident value.

They will only pay me for equipment removal and decals if I let them take the vehicle (not for buyback) and accept the total loss offer.

Tomorrow I will be calling my insurance company to have them guide me through this.

I am going to be keeping the van and repairing it. I just know they are low-balling me on the price before the accident and jacking up the salvage value.

Good luck to myself!

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
What type of van is it? Must be really nice, my 95 E150 totalled and I bought it back for $203 sold it next day for my $700 asking price.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Dont agree to anything !

I hope you have the van and not them. Id remove as much as possible from the van and even go as far as removing the truckmount myself. if worst goes keep your equipment and total the van. You own the machine and van, they should compensate for the total of everything. If you were a regular end user then id understand but you are commercial.

Not sure if I am wrong by saying the following;
I have registered and listed my business as a business not gone under.
that way I never get questioned if it were to happen to me.

I hope they dont try to say youre not a business.

jason wolfington

Nov 2, 2014
Texas
Real Name
jason wolfington
Business Location
United States
What type of van is it? Must be really nice, my 95 E150 totalled and I bought it back for $203 sold it next day for my $700 asking price.
The van is a 2007 Chevy express 2500....nothing "nice"...but it is mechanically perfect and very well maintained. It was an a/c service van until 4000 miles ago when I purchased it, so there hasn't been water inside the back or heavy loads. The van was already a salvage title from a wreck years ago (I knew all this when I purchased it). The insurance company is trying to use that to make the value of the van low and then trying to make the salvage value high to reduce what they owe me (because I want to keep the van and fix it). The damage doesn't look bad, but the "B" pilar behind the door is pushed up as well as the "A" pillar and it broke the windshield.

In central Texas, with the booming economy, finding good used cargo vans (under 10K) is not possible. Every good van is being used in a service or trade and they are not sold unless something is wrong with them or they are completely beat up.

I have considered taking the money and letting this van go and getting a 20K slightly used ford transit van, but I just can't see spending $15k when the van I have should last me a few more years.

Attachments

jason wolfington

Nov 2, 2014
Texas
Real Name
jason wolfington
Business Location
United States
The van has a little over $7k damage according to the other drivers insurance company. It has suspension damage (bent control arms). The body damage is hidden well since the wheel pushed into the floor and firewall in the wreck and caused the body structure to push up toward the windshield.

I will be calling my personal insurance today to have them give me some figures and advice and then possibly have them settle the claim and go after the other driver's insurance.