Direct Mail EDDM - Val Pak paper ads?? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Direct Mail EDDM Val Pak paper ads??

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
I am skipping Feb. this year. Trying to pull work through email, networking, and fb.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Like sleepy said, 3-4 months to get intitial results.
If its your first bulk mailer, eddm is a different beast, It takes time to get your ads dialed in.

DO NOT try to come in with a high price, you will bomb.
You must put a price on the ad.
Just a percent off is not gonna make your phone ring.
Just a hey look at me I think I am the best cleaner in the world ad look at my bennefits type of ad will fall flat in Val Pak if you do NOT have a coupon or priced monthly special.

Did I mention if you are going to do val pak you need to commit to it for the long haul??? Print ads require repetition. Once you start and get good results, you can not jsut take a few months off, you loose ground. I learned that lesson last winter. This year I have shrunk my ad sizes from half pages to quarter pages in some of my lesser producing zones, I have maintained a presence. You let off for a minute and you loose 6 months of efforts.

I would make sure the offer you plan on running with is competitive with other offers in your local val pak. If you are NOT then your phone will NOT ring.

Once you get a val pak customer though, you should have no problem cross and upselling them. They are our best tickets and repeats of our current ad sources. Also our most expensive ad as well.

Also, if they called you to sell you, that means they need to fill a hole in their budget.
Always ask for a better rate.
They have lot of room to move.
Once you get into more than 5 zones and have been with them for a few months you can really start to negotiate much better per zone rate................PM me for more details if you are interested.

Reactions: Gasoline

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
The guys in my book are just too low. They are down to like $10-15 a room. I know it works for some, but I just don't think I could do well in my book. Point being, I think it depends on your book. If there are 3 guys at 10-15 per room, seems like it will be a tough one to make CENTS (pun intended).

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Val Pak has been a bust for me. Some people do well with it. I retried it again a couple of years ago experimenting with one zone 10,000 and I had to sign a 6 month contract. $3600 spent and less then $1000 of sales. In my area they claim to deliver to upper middle class areas only. But I have not seen one in my mail box in a few years while across town at some apartments I own I see them in the trash from the tenants unopened. :dead:

So I would advise to really track your results and do not sign up for more then 3 or 4 months. By that amount of time you should be able to tell if you are going to get results.

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
Like sleepy said, 3-4 months to get intitial results.
If its your first bulk mailer, eddm is a different beast, It takes time to get your ads dialed in.

DO NOT try to come in with a high price, you will bomb.
You must put a price on the ad.
Just a percent off is not gonna make your phone ring.
Just a hey look at me I think I am the best cleaner in the world ad look at my bennefits type of ad will fall flat in Val Pak if you do NOT have a coupon or priced monthly special.

Did I mention if you are going to do val pak you need to commit to it for the long haul??? Print ads require repetition. Once you start and get good results, you can not jsut take a few months off, you loose ground. I learned that lesson last winter. This year I have shrunk my ad sizes from half pages to quarter pages in some of my lesser producing zones, I have maintained a presence. You let off for a minute and you loose 6 months of efforts.

I would make sure the offer you plan on running with is competitive with other offers in your local val pak. If you are NOT then your phone will NOT ring.

Once you get a val pak customer though, you should have no problem cross and upselling them. They are our best tickets and repeats of our current ad sources. Also our most expensive ad as well.

Also, if they called you to sell you, that means they need to fill a hole in their budget.
Always ask for a better rate.
They have lot of room to move.
Once you get into more than 5 zones and have been with them for a few months you can really start to negotiate much better per zone rate................PM me for more details if you are interested.
Great read. I will

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
Valpak has been my bread and butter for number of jobs. In 2014 I had 419 jobs via Valpak. It works for some cleaners and doesn't work for others. I don't low ball and charge $30/room which for my area is about the going rate. I advertise in 5 zones, 50,000 mailers a month. Like spazznout said, you need to have a price in your ad. You don't want a 15-20% off coupon or a flyer that talks about your business but doesn't have pricing. I don't recommend coming in with the lowest price, if you have low ballers in your local valpak that have pricing that doesn't make business sense to you I wouldn't try it.

I also don't recommend doing Valpak Jan-Mar. I do it Apr-Dec.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
I do agree with will in that I would NOT start a val pak campaign in the middle of winter. Let that be part of your big spring CC cleaning push. Then run with it from there.

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
Valpak has been my bread and butter for number of jobs. In 2014 I had 419 jobs via Valpak. It works for some cleaners and doesn't work for others. I don't low ball and charge $30/room which for my area is about the going rate. I advertise in 5 zones, 50,000 mailers a month. Like spazznout said, you need to have a price in your ad. You don't want a 15-20% off coupon or a flyer that talks about your business but doesn't have pricing. I don't recommend coming in with the lowest price, if you have low ballers in your local valpak that have pricing that doesn't make business sense to you I wouldn't try it.

I also don't recommend doing Valpak Jan-Mar. I do it Apr-Dec.
What does 5 zones cost roughly?monthly?

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
I do agree with will in that I would NOT start a val pak campaign in the middle of winter. Let that be part of your big spring CC cleaning push. Then run with it from there.
My winter is almost over. It's in the high 60's & low 70's. Lite rain here and there. I was thinking about starting late feb early march .

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
What does 5 zones cost roughly?monthly?
The prices are different in every market. In Columbus 5 zones, without extra negotiating is 270 per zone, so a total of $1350. Your salesperson should have a map with all the zones in your area. I am looking at mine now for 2015. On one side is a graph that breaks down the rates for your city. Remember, ValPak is NOT a corp. each location is run by Franchisees. So they are ran more like small businesses than big corps. Goods and bads come with that. A lot depends on the local Franchise owner. As Will eluded to earlier. Do your homework. Val Pak may NOT be a good ad source in your area.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
My winter is almost over. It's in the high 60's & low 70's. Lite rain here and there. I was thinking about starting late feb early march .
yy you know your area. I hate you for those temps. It was 22 here today. big warm up this weekend. Highs near 31, then back to the teens. We have 2-3 more months of this left.