Vacuum Hose Repair and Solution Hose Valve Installation | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Vacuum Hose Repair and Solution Hose Valve Installation

sctcal50

May 9, 2018
Real Name
Charles Calhoun
Just getting into the business and I have a few questions.
Cutting my 2" and 1 1/2" Vac Hoses to custom lengths. I was going to use a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade tto cut the hoses.
Is there a better or recommended way to cut these hoses?
I was going to use goop to glue my new mytee cuffs on. I`ve read that the gorilla glue may be a better glue because it swells, but mytee recommends goop.
What glue should I use?
I have to install the quick connects and shut off valves on my solution hoses.
Should I use PTFE Tape or the soft set pipe thread sealant?
Thanks in advance.

sctcal50

May 9, 2018
Real Name
Charles Calhoun
No
Cut flat cap hose down the middle of the rib, it will leave you a permanently clean edge.
Not sure what flat cap hose is. I bought Amflex. Thanks Jim, you've helped me every time I've ask a question. A lot of the equipment Ive purchased has come from your experiance and advice.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
No

Not sure what flat cap hose is. I bought Amflex. Thanks Jim, you've helped me every time I've ask a question. A lot of the equipment Ive purchased has come from your experiance and advice.
Here's a typical cut on flat cap hose wound on to a cuff for a "janky" seal.
20190627_215343.jpg

Here's a hose cut down the rib for a great seal on wound on cuffs.
20190627_215409.jpg

The flat mating surface makes a difference in how the hose is cut to begin with. If you don't use cuffs and use internal connections for the ultimate non leak connection it makes life easier for on and off connections.

Every faulty mating hose cuff is a penalty at the floor....

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If you throw away all your "fancy quick connect" hose cuffs and buy a piece of aluminum tube, you will gain CFM and lift to the floor that you have already paid for but, have not been receiving....

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
If you throw away all your "fancy quick connect" hose cuffs and buy a piece of aluminum tube, you will gain CFM and lift to the floor that you have already paid for but, have not been receiving....
I wish you could just figure out a way how I could use my "fancy quick connect" hose cuffs without them leaking air instead. I cringe every time I walk past my hose cuffs and hear all the cfm and lift escaping.

LeeRoy

Feb 13, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Lee Coking
Business Location
United States

Jim, I’m interested in what you saying, would you please elaborate and possibly show some photos of what you’re talking about? I’m wondering if plastic pvc couplers would work. Thank you sir

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Jim, I’m interested in what you saying, would you please elaborate and possibly show some photos of what you’re talking about? I’m wondering if plastic pvc couplers would work. Thank you sir
Any of these will work for flat work, the barb is better for going up multiple floors. Joined inside the hose you should have zero leaks.
20190615_125824.jpg

Reactions: LeeRoy

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I wish you could just figure out a way how I could use my "fancy quick connect" hose cuffs without them leaking air instead. I cringe every time I walk past my hose cuffs and hear all the cfm and lift escaping.
I put Teflon tape on the threads then put the cuffs on not much leaking then.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Metal blades for a reciprocating saw should be fine for pressure lines. Usually I use a hacksaw or cutoff disc on a grinder. Only time you need glue to hold on cuffs or connectors is when the hose is cheap and a little too small OD to stay in the threads properly.