Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
20181230_134409.jpg

This 8x8 finned tube heat exchanger while being a total challenge to implement doesn't add substantial solution temperature (only 10° with my insane flow wand, 15° with an 8 flow) however it has attenuated heat exiting the exhaust air and namely dampened sound. Exhaust temps are reduced 30° to 120° and it's 75 decibels next to it and a very tolerable 60 @ 15'.

The vac exhaust heat exchanger idea is nothing new for sure, but the sound and heat suppression is a pretty kickass side effect. Cfm's are reduced more by the muffler than the heat exchanger. Overall my system takes a 15 CFM penalty through the exchanger and muffler vs reading off the stack.

In an ETM situation a couple of these together would be very effective in preheating incoming water before the main heater and substantially quieting the exhaust noise especially when running on cord power.

Again, nothing new or groundbreaking, but worth the trouble for me. Cheers!

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
View attachment 82012

This 8x8 finned tube heat exchanger while being a total challenge to implement doesn't add substantial solution temperature (only 10° with my insane flow wand, 15° with an 8 flow) however it has attenuated heat exiting the exhaust air and namely dampened sound. Exhaust temps are reduced 30° to 120° and it's 75 decibels next to it and a very tolerable 60 @ 15'.

The vac exhaust heat exchanger idea is nothing new for sure, but the sound and heat suppression is a pretty kickass side effect. Cfm's are reduced more by the muffler than the heat exchanger. Overall my system takes a 15 CFM penalty through the exchanger and muffler vs reading off the stack.

In an ETM situation a couple of these together would be very effective in preheating incoming water before the main heater and substantially quieting the exhaust noise especially when running on cord power.

Looks nice.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Awesome ! You must have a box truck or similar . I have no room for all the creations you come up with ~! LOL

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
View attachment 82012

That's weird I've been working on one as well it really does heat up the water pretty good. All things considered
Have you done the wrapping the vacuum motors in copper tubing yet you know the good old power flight trick.
I'm doing a combination of both for my preheat
I'm trying to get away from fuel fired

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I don't want any excess heat in the motor cabinet so I haven't looked at that route.

If you are going to keep everything on the van routing the coolant before the heater core to 50' of 1/2" copper tube into the freshwater tank is an awesome mod. Keeps the van warm all night here on 20° nights, no heater needed.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I don't want any excess heat in the motor cabinet so I haven't looked that route.

If you are going to keep everything on the van routing the coolant before the heater core to 50' of 1/2" copper tube into the freshwater tank is an awesome mod. Keeps the van warm all night here on 20° nights, no heater needed.
Yeah I did notice your working with a really tight space. It lower my motor winding temperature by over 125 degrees f what's the cabinet temperature of the machine increased slightly about 20 degrees f

And man that's weird we have been doing the copper coil in the freshwater tank for like 15 years. I was always scared to mention it on this format due to the fact someone might scream. you'll get any freeze all over the place!!! It's never leaked a drop!!!

I'm currently working on a thermal Mass heater followed by an induction heater with pulmonary results are absolutely astounding we'll keep up with fuel fired for the most part.
The problem is it's very dangerous
A split-second of too much induction and boom!!! You got a pipe bomb in your van or clients home
I know I know pressure bypass!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Yeah I did notice your working with a really tight space. It lower my motor winding temperature by over 125 degrees f what's the cabinet temperature of the machine increased slightly about 20 degrees f

And man that's weird we have been doing the copper coil in the freshwater tank for like 15 years. I was always scared to mention it on this format due to the fact someone might scream. you'll get any freeze all over the place!!! It's never leaked a drop!!!

I'm currently working on a thermal Mass heater followed by an induction heater with pulmonary results are absolutely astounding we'll keep up with fuel fired for the most part.
The problem is it's very dangerous
A split-second of too much induction and boom!!! You got a pipe bomb in your van or clients home
I know I know pressure bypass!
I'm interested in seeing this setup. 160-170° is plenty of heat for me especially if it is consistent.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I'm interested in seeing this setup. 160-170° is plenty of heat for me especially if it is consistent.
Oh man thermal mass will do that easily you don't even need induction
hit 240 if you include induction
Maintain 170 without induction
Once again hoping to hit market in the spring