Vacation rental cleaning

MDClean

Aug 23, 2017
Real Name
Michael Dikeman
Anyone get into cleaning for AirBNB or similar company rental owners. I have a new customer that was referred to me for a 3 bd., 2 bathroom, 1500-2000 sq. ft house that they have set up for ongoing rentals. Thing is there is more involved than cleaning, borders on hosting services. Inventory, linen laundry, on-call status 7-days a week, before and after turnover cleanings, damage checks, possibly keeping a list of other contractors for repairs, and so on. Another one I'm having some trouble pricing. I was thinking a set rate for each cleaning/turnover, and maybe a separate price for the management side of things, and an on-call charge for anytime I get called in. Or possibly a total monthly flat rate for all included services, and what I should be pricing at. Any ideas or help with this would be greatly appreciated...

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.
Its all dependent on how many units and the occupancy per month? Are you going to manage the rental unit, or just be cleaning the rental unit? The scope / duties of both are way different. I can tell you know that if you are to be cleaning vacation rental units it will most likely over time feel like you are actually managing the unit to some degree. As you will be the one who is held accountable if something is damaged, torn, stained, ripped etc. If something is missing from the unit and you do not account for it @ time of cleaning, or you miss it glasses dishware etc, you will be held accountable. Let me know if you have any questions and I can tell you exactly how it goes.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Interesting that this topic comes up. At the time of the original post, I was staying for a week in an Air BNB rental home. Met the cleaners on the way out.

There was a checklist for the renters to go through before the cleaners arrived.
  • Trash out
  • Linens and towels off the beds and piled in the laundry room
  • Dishes in the dishwasher and dishwasher ran. (They put away the dishes and counted.)
The cleaners liked the job because it was more at one stop than just basic cleaning and no one was there to get in the way or slow them down. They also had several rentals in the same area.

Reactions: JaneofTrades

dallasmaids

Nov 6, 2017
Real Name
Greg Shepard
We have a couple of AirBnB clients. Things we've found thus far:

1) AirBnB clients want lower price so the cleaning doesn't bite into their margins too much
2) AirBnB clients require more attention and special instructions that regular customers
3) More erratic scheduling - though we are a large operation able to handle last minute requests.

Considering that, I won't be targeting these type of customers.

Reactions: Scott W
Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
Its all dependent on how many units and the occupancy per month? Are you going to manage the rental unit, or just be cleaning the rental unit? The scope / duties of both are way different. I can tell you know that if you are to be cleaning vacation rental units it will most likely over time feel like you are actually managing the unit to some degree. As you will be the one who is held accountable if something is damaged, torn, stained, ripped etc. If something is missing from the unit and you do not account for it @ time of cleaning, or you miss it glasses dishware etc, you will be held accountable. Let me know if you have any questions and I can tell you exactly how it goes.

I'd like to hear more about what you have to say on this subject, please :)

Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
If you have any questions let me know.

I suppose I'd want to start off by asking you HOW you got into cleaning vacation rentals and how did you advertise on the site's? I've looked several times but have found nothing related to marketing my services to home owners. Thanks for your willingness to share :)

Also, I've serviced vacation properties, just not sure how to go about marketing on Airbnb or VRBO. I realize its very detailed and may include some other task that are the usual janitorial services but I'm OK with that. Just would love to know how you got hooked up with this end of the spectrum. Thanks :)

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.
Our establishments office was right next door to a vacation rental management company. LOl. After about 1.5 years, there cleaning team was not cutting it anymore for some reason or another? The simplest solution for them was source out to us. We have other accounts with other management companies now but basically thats how we got a start with vacation rental properties.
The industry is like buying a new vehicle... When its new its great! But after about 3 years, the property management companies like to keep their eyes out for a "new vehicle" due to your annual price point increases and your inability to be a "yes man" for their every becking call etc. Plus when the industry cycles every 3-5 years, there is a plethora of "new" cleaning companies on craigslist etc, who will do the same job for half the price and will be that
"yes man" that they o so love. This becomes their "new vehicle". Walk into vacation property management companies and sale yourself, along with your services... Notice how I said sale yourself first. They can get any cleaners they want but they are buying YOU as a representation of what they can expect from your cleaning service. Note: They are not just purchasing your cleaning service but also your ability to communicate effectively as they need to know of late check outs, damages, carpet cleaning stains, cleanings, counts, linens, items missing, needed etc. Upon hire, be sure to layout in detail what you will NOT do, what would fall under maintenance man upkeep. Otherwise, you will become the cleaner, maintenance man, property manager, meet and greeter, air port porter etc. LOl. Also be sure to set lock out fees for late check outs up front. No one seems to follow the rules when it comes to check out times, and this will result in your team on standby, pushing all of your cleanings back and in the end you will pay. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott W

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Anyone get into cleaning for AirBNB or similar company rental owners. I have a new customer that was referred to me for a 3 bd., 2 bathroom, 1500-2000 sq. ft house that they have set up for ongoing rentals. Thing is there is more involved than cleaning, borders on hosting services. Inventory, linen laundry, on-call status 7-days a week, before and after turnover cleanings, damage checks, possibly keeping a list of other contractors for repairs, and so on. Another one I'm having some trouble pricing. I was thinking a set rate for each cleaning/turnover, and maybe a separate price for the management side of things, and an on-call charge for anytime I get called in. Or possibly a total monthly flat rate for all included services, and what I should be pricing at. Any ideas or help with this would be greatly appreciated...

That sounds more like property management more than anything.

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.
Though they can get to be a bit of a headache at times, it would be well to note that if you are all ready in on the carpet cleaning and upholstery side of the business, this could be a great template to "monopolies" in your industry. If you are in charge of cleaning as little as 30 properties and you are also the main source of communication for needed unit carpet cleaning, spot cleaning, upholstery, mattress cleaning, deodorizing etc, then this could pose a great convenience for property management teams to hire you and give you the opportunity to "double down" on your income per each unit that you have. People spill things all the time in vacation rental unit and do not take off their shoes when they enter because its not their home. Lol. This is how I actually came to fall in love with carpet cleaning. I saw that there was way too much money being left on the table. That and my unhealthy fetish for seeing dirt come out of carpets. Lol

Bwebster

Mar 31, 2018
Real Name
Brittany
Hey there, I do a lot of vacation rental cleans. Usually there is a charge that goes to the renters, starting at 350 and goes up. You will need to create a price list per home because each will vary.

Pick your hourly rate and figure in how many hours it well take on the worst day. Then add in your maintenance hours. Submit your invoices to the managing company and you're golden.

hulahoop

Sep 28, 2018
Real Name
Lisa Baza
I've been cleaning in a rural area for about two and a half years. These rentals really help me to boost my income. They can be a royal pain though. Especially when the property owner wants to micromanage you.

I strongly suggest locating the property on the listing site to see what they are charging for a cleaning. That was something I learned the hard way. I have clients who lose a few dollars or break even or make a few bucks. Usually on the pet fees. I don't charge extra for that.

I have had some who are greedy about it though. Like trying to force me in to cutting them a deal while trying to make me rush through. I cut them loose after I was able to replace them. Competition is high here. There are people who will do it for as little as $10.00 an hour. I charge $25.00 an hour. Some of those $10.00 an hour cleaners do a good job, but mostly they don't. My clients see the difference. $25.00 an hour pretty much gets them anything they ask for within reason. We usually convert that to a flat rate once we see how long it takes after I get in there a few times. I don't usually hassle them if it takes me a few minutes longer. They don't hassle me when they know it didn't take me that long. It all comes out in the wash.

Last edited:

dallasmaids

Nov 6, 2017
Real Name
Greg Shepard
I have had some who are greedy about it though. Like trying to force me in to cutting them a deal while trying to make me rush through. I cut them loose after I was able to replace them. Competition is high here. There are people who will do it for as little as $10.00 an hour. I charge $25.00 an hour. Some of those $10.00 an hour cleaners do a good job, but mostly they don't. My clients see the difference. $25.00 an hour pretty much gets them anything they ask for within reason. We usually convert that to a flat rate once we see how long it takes after I get in there a few times. I don't usually hassle them if it takes me a few minutes longer. They don't hassle me when they know it didn't take me that long. It all comes out in the wash.

Sometimes you have to fire the customer! So ture... in this industry you really get what you pay for.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Old thread resurrected. I’m shocked to see how low rates are being charged! I always charge flat rates but try to go for $39-$49 a hr min.

dallasmaids

Nov 6, 2017
Real Name
Greg Shepard
Old thread resurrected. I’m shocked to see how low rates are being charged! I always charge flat rates but try to go for $39-$49 a hr min.

Our maid service pricing is more in your range.

Pricing probably differ based on city and if the company is employing workers (the legal way) or are using contractors.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Our maid service pricing is more in your range.

Pricing probably differ based on city and if the company is employing workers (the legal way) or are using contractors.
That’s true we don’t deal with illegal labor too much in our area of AZ but in the valley part of our state they do. I pay my housekeepers real liveable wages, plus bonuses. If I go cheap I won’t even break even. I want my housekeepers to have dignity and pride walking into any home with their head held high.

JaneofTrades

Oct 25, 2018
Real Name
Geena Rods

I don't have any advice to give. I just wanted to congratulate you for getting in this new vertical. It sounds like it could be quite fruitful.