Using the term disinfection cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Using the term disinfection cleaning

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
As a long time cleaner, I have taken many courses on carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, flood restoration, odor control etc. I have always been taught in most of these classes that the term "disinfection" should never be used because of legal ramifications. With that being said, in the wake of Covid19, I see companies advertising "disinfection cleaning." This term is being thrown around like confetti. In addition, I see allot of new companies popping up that I never seen before, advertising cleaning covid19. These are startup companies trying to capitalize on this pandemic and it is my belief that these new companies are part of the reason most of us are having an extremely difficult time obtaining PPE right now. The chemicals and equipment have not changed but the terminology has changed from what I see being advertised.
1)Has this industry changed it's terminology overnight because of Covid19?
2)Is it now alright to make claims of disinfection?
3)What constitutes disinfection now, that otherwise did not before?

Reactions: CCWorks and Fedri

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I remember not being able to claim disinfecting textiles at 100%. I never played off sanitizing or disinfecting and to start now would give me a guilty conscious. Unless I get some major fogging equipment I won't start. Anyone know where to get commercial fogging equipment?

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
As a long time cleaner, I have taken many courses on carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, flood restoration, odor control etc. I have always been taught in most of these classes that the term "disinfection" should never be used because of legal ramifications. With that being said, in the wake of Covid19, I see companies advertising "disinfection cleaning." This term is being thrown around like confetti. In addition, I see allot of new companies popping up that I never seen before, advertising cleaning covid19. These are startup companies trying to capitalize on this pandemic and it is my belief that these new companies are part of the reason most of us are having an extremely difficult time obtaining PPE right now. The chemicals and equipment have not changed but the terminology has changed from what I see being advertised.
1)Has this industry changed it's terminology overnight because of Covid19?
2)Is it now alright to make claims of disinfection?
3)What constitutes disinfection now, that otherwise did not before?
And then you also have retailers selling all kinds of questionable disinfectants and disinfecting equipment.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
here we go! Thoughts?

NEW! Disinfect Your Carpets!

using EPA-Registered Carpet Sanitizer
available that eliminates odor-causing bacteria

Note the New Hospital-Grade Hard Surface Disinfectant available that meets the EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2, the cause of COVID-19.

So my question is, does the potential customer see *for use against SARS-CoV-2, the cause of COVID-19* and think that this can can be used on carpet?

And we all thought the info coming from the Fake News stations was bad, now we have to deal with this!

Last edited:

randyg6224

Jan 1, 2011
Green Bay, WI
www.newsolidsurfacecleaning.com
Real Name
Randy Grygiel
Business Location
United States

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I have this conversation many times over EVERY day with my guys. And here's my take on it, based on labeling directions, CDC and OSHA/EPA guidelines, and general common sense:

Any product, equipment, or individual claiming disinfection on a soft surface screams "snake oil" to me.

Dwell time, thorough application, and before-and-after tests are difficult (virtually impossible in some cases) on porous surfaces and would not be cost effective on a casual day-by-day basis.

Sanitation is quite achievable, provided the antimicrobials used are applied according to label directions.

These people who are claiming disinfection on carpet and furniture are opening themselves up to a position of liability that will be difficult to escape, should a problem arise.

And unless you already had the proper PPE stockpiled, already had BBP/forensic restoration experience and training, and had an insurance policy covering your people on jobs like this, wanting to do it now is a bit like getting your drivers' license the day before you're supposed to run a NASCAR race.

I understand the need to support one's family and bring home a paycheck. But capitalizing on fear and deliberately misleading customers is, IMHO, a shady way of doing business. I'm encouraging my local guys to do what they do best - CLEAN - and don't try to promise too much beyond that.

Reactions: Ara Klujian

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
SS is advertizing BIG time using EPA compliant products , at least here in Cols, ohio.