Used Hydramaster Boxxer 427? What should I look for? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Used Hydramaster Boxxer 427? What should I look for?

Soofisahab

Jul 23, 2013
Real Name
Nadir Soofi
Hi,

I'm a newbie to the carpet cleaning industry and really need your help!

I'm looking at a Boxxer 427 with 1600 hours on it...how can I determine if the machine is in good shape? How long do these machines typically last?

Thanks

linemech31

Apr 23, 2009
NH
DearbornCleaning.net
Real Name
Andrew Dearborn
Business Location
United States
As far as i know you can no longer get a new engine for that model.
Sooner or later you will need one so keep that in mind if you make an offer on it.
Sent from my LGL86C using TMF Forums mobile app

Jsinopoli003

May 2, 2011
North carolina
www.spectrumfloorcleaning.com
Real Name
James Sinopoli
Business Location
United States
They got rid of that model for a reason. I know a couple people who have the 427 and they had problems, but it may just be fine...but if it were me I may stay away but that's just because of prior experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jamie Sinopoli

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
That model had some serious problems. Problems that the average person can't fix.

vnmineo

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
vin mineo
Business Location
United States
I have read some bad reviews about that tm but I did read a few that people were happy.....More bad then good though..... Look @ EZ Truckmounts!!!

Mar 23, 2012
Surprise Arizona
Real Name
Ty 212
Business Location
United States
LOVE IT!!!!!! Maintenance!!!

1. Physically check radiator level, not the reservoir but the radiator pop the cap and throw a finger in

See when that motor runs low on coolant and over heats it warps the heads, once that happens you can't replace the heads and yo motor is effed

They do have a conversion that basically makes it the new boxxer Xl, 31hp air cooled installed will cost ya around $4k

But I love my 427, I always threaten to sell it but in the end we love each other and she really wants to stay with me forever!!!

Mar 23, 2012
Surprise Arizona
Real Name
Ty 212
Business Location
United States
Also on the average I think most carpet cleaners treat their machines like shit, I see them all the time with more shit built up in there rig and can't even get in the damn thing which makes me think "how do these turds service their machine?" Well short answer they don't and when you have a screamin eagle like the 427 if you don't show her love she's gonna leave ya hangin, people always blame the equipment first and take little responsibility.

Reactions: LeeRoy

Soofisahab

Jul 23, 2013
Real Name
Nadir Soofi
Thanks for the help! I'm shying away from the 427 after the info (if it breaks, I'm screwed!), and looking at getting a new 1633 from EZ Truckmounts.

Reactions: matt30577

vnmineo

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
vin mineo
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the help! I'm shying away from the 427 after the info (if it breaks, I'm screwed!), and looking at getting a new 1633 from EZ Truckmounts.

I just got a EZ a few weeks ago and its freakin awesome! I love my EZ;)

TimM

Sep 9, 2007
Ogden Utah
Real Name
Tim
Business Location
United States
I have a Boxxer 427. I just had to replace my engine but I had 4600 hours on the original. I did have some problems with the first engine, but nothing major. I found a 27hp briggs liquid cooled to bolt right in. as stated above, they have a 31hp to replace it, but its 4K. It has been a good machine for me.

Reactions: 212.0

PhilipNick

Sep 13, 2008
Phoenix
Real Name
Philip Nick
I have also heard the heat exchanger needs to be cleaned to reduce back pressure. It has head gasket issues I assume due to overheating. They don't make the engine any longer due to issues with it failing.

The coupler doesn't allow for retrofits of other engines. There are 2 or 3 for sale in Phoenix on Craigslist right now. Can't get rid of them.

Mar 23, 2012
Surprise Arizona
Real Name
Ty 212
Business Location
United States
T
I have also heard the heat exchanger needs to be cleaned to reduce back pressure. It has head gasket issues I assume due to overheating. They don't make the engine any longer due to issues with it failing.

The coupler doesn't allow for retrofits of other engines. There are 2 or 3 for sale in Phoenix on Craigslist right now. Can't get rid of them.
There's a blown up one for $4200, I might snag that lil beotch up!! Screamin daemons

AZ cleaner

Jun 8, 2013
Real Name
Gary Yowell
its just an engine.....different couplers is a small hurdle....I learned from working in hot rod shops anything is possible if you know how.....if not then yeah you better stay away.....although the hours are low

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
its just an engine.....different couplers is a small hurdle....I learned from working in hot rod shops anything is possible if you know how.....if not then yeah you better stay away.....although the hours are low
On the one that I'm talking about, there were some serious problems with the way the blower was positioned and connected that made it impossible to fix, + the motor problems.

Then... the Dixie Steamway dealer that sold the machine to this guy, wouldn't fix the machine, saying the warranty was over (1month after the warranty ended), and they couldn't get parts to fix it. Crappy dealer, if you ask me.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada