Upholstery Tool Recommendations?

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I am reaally liking the sheerdri rotovac tool....
I have cleaned about 7-8 commercial and home uphlolstery the last week and it makes couch cleaning fun again....
Dries within 2-3 hours.....
Amazing tool......

I just ordered a 2 nd sheerdri for my 2nd van

ciobanu_liviu

Aug 12, 2015
Real Name
Liviu Ciobanu
I can't take it anymore! Have the Drimaster 2 and love the concept but the metal lips come off all the time. I am thinking the SS Upholstery Pro. Thoughts?
I have the rotovac sheardry and i don't like it to much as you can't do the edges on the furniture. Try better this tool from eBay I did buy in case the first one breaks but i like it more then my sheardry and you can do the edges to. www.ebay.com/p/Internal-Spray-Upholstery-Wand-With-Transparent-Vacuum-Head/1372188289?iid=221675858770

Loren Egland

Jun 18, 2008
Antioch, California 94509
Real Name
Loren Egland
I bought my first dry upholstery tool in 1985, the Hydrokinetic. I have tested it next to the Drimaster 3 or 4 times over the years and the Hydrokinetic was always clearly superior in performance. I have a PMF internal jet and a Rotovac Shear-dry, and I have tested the SS tool a few times. My son in law has the Mytee but I have not used it.

I am surprised no one on this forum even mentioned the Hydrokinetic since it has been available far longer than these newer tools. It still out performs them all. You can use the full power of your truck mount due to its number 3 jet and the ability to operate the tool at carpet cleaning pressures rather than having to reduce the flow like these other tools and also leave the fabric dryer.
F56CF9AF-3A42-4C20-83CB-47ADDCDAD23E.jpeg
C39C2C76-574A-4F17-BA9F-6CFADEA9091F.jpeg

A tool I would like to try is this Fast ‘N’ Dry
F0BEA6AE-3376-4FC7-81B9-9BFCFF37FEEB.jpeg

Last edited:

Loren Egland

Jun 18, 2008
Real Name
Loren Egland
I bought my first dry upholstery tool in 1985, the Hydrokinetic. I have tested it next to the Drimaster 3 or 4 times over the years and the Hydrikinetic was always clearly superior in performance. I have a PMF internal jet and a Rotovac Shear-dry, and I have tested the SS tool a few times. My son in law has the Mytee but I have not used it.

I am surprised no one on this forum even mentioned the Hydrokinetic since it has been available far longer than these newer tools. It still out performs them all. You can use the full power of your truck mount due to its number 3 jet and the ability to operate the tool at carpet cleaning pressures rather than having to reduce the flow like these other tools and also leave the fabric dryer. View attachment 76918 View attachment 76919
View attachment 76921
PS. My number 2 choice so far from my experience would be the SS upholstery tool.

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Ive had my drimaster 2 since 2009, and ive only had one issue with the metal lips because I dropped it but the solution after many times afterward of them falling off was take completely apart and clean thoroughly, I also bought many extra. I take the tool apart once a year to clean inspect and possibly replace the lips. Ive only had to replace the lips once since 2009
Agree, I still have it, once you get used to it, it's a gold. The oldest tool in my arsenal is Edic close spray, Kleenrite with a aluminum head lasted over 1 year and I use Mytee Dry for showing off( nice colours) and for lightly soiled surface. If I have pets situation(hair) long philips screwdriver is by my side for quick head removal- needed wire hook also to get hairs out. I would opt for Kleenrite(3 wide vac slots), but aluminum head has a tendency to disingrate rather quickly.
Like with any other tools, it's nice to have a few upholstery tools to choose from. I have no problem with Pmf upholstery tool, but I find vac hose too ridgid, so I got rid of it. Cleaning messed up sofa in garage while custy is getting drunk on beer is
the best, more bottles, the better tip at the end. Love the summer....

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I bought my first dry upholstery tool in 1985, the Hydrokinetic. I have tested it next to the Drimaster 3 or 4 times over the years and the Hydrokinetic was always clearly superior in performance. I have a PMF internal jet and a Rotovac Shear-dry, and I have tested the SS tool a few times. My son in law has the Mytee but I have not used it.

I am surprised no one on this forum even mentioned the Hydrokinetic since it has been available far longer than these newer tools. It still out performs them all. You can use the full power of your truck mount due to its number 3 jet and the ability to operate the tool at carpet cleaning pressures rather than having to reduce the flow like these other tools and also leave the fabric dryer. View attachment 76918 View attachment 76919
View attachment 76921 [/QUOTE
I researched Hydrokinetic upholstery tool, didn't find old school style, just makeovers, which is not the same quality. Congrats on ownership. I'll be on lookout for one.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I don't have any problem with the mytee dry upholstery tool. I cant stand the trigger action upholstery tools. I stopped offering upholstery cleaning for several years till I got the Mytee. I made a quick $300 in an hour yesterday. No mess. No sweat.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States

View attachment 76921
3 things i dont like about the hydrokenetic.

trigger fatigue
worry risk of stretching out or tearing fabric or high pressure damage to fabric
cost

Loren Egland

Jun 18, 2008
Real Name
Loren Egland
3 things i dont like about the hydrokenetic.

trigger fatigue
worry risk of stretching out or tearing fabric or high pressure damage to fabric
cost
I prefer the control of a trigger, but like most dry tools just lower the pressure and water flow and you will have a trigger less tool by tying the trigger on.

If you don’t want to use truck mount power through your upholstery tool then don’t by dialing it down.

After 33 years of using the Hydrokinetic I don’t understand the “stretching out or tearing fabric” comment.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
They havent quite perfected theae yet...
Rotovac needs a non trigger
Saphire needs to stop streaking
Drimaster needs to stop breaking

I may go with the rotovac even though i really like the nontrigger
I've been using the Sapphire for a number of years now and I use the trigger all the time rather than fooling with the lock in place mechanism. The way the trigger is on the tool I barely even notice I'm triggering because it conforms pretty well to the hand with very little, if any, strain. The negative part is that if I do lock the trigger in place and try to use it w/o triggering the trigger handle will often snag the fabric. Once I nearly tore the handle clean off because of it. Since then I stopped using the trigger lock. I don't have a problem streaking with the tool. I would suspect something is clogged somewhere if that's happening.

I suppose I could remove the trigger handle if I wanted and just use it locked in place all the time. The other negative with this tool is the location of the flow control. VERY inconvenient. It would be nice if it were in or near the handle.

Last edited:

pmathot

Jun 7, 2011
Penrith, Lower Blue Mountains - Sydney, Australia
www.mightyclean.com.au
Real Name
Phil Mathot
Business Location
Australia
I purchased a Mytee Dry when they were first released. Now the tool functioned incredibly well, but had a whole host of bugs.

Mytee resolved all of these, and they also replaced both of my Mytee Dry tools. The replacement product has been flawless.

Here’s why I like the Mytee Dry.

Compared to SS, it does not leak water when disengaged from fabric, and is triggerless. It’s also about half the price.

Compared to Drimaster, it’s half the price, and the flow adjuster is in a more sensible location.

Compared to Sheardry, 2/3rds the price, has a sight window, continuous flow, doesn’t have fluff collect at vac inlet, doesn’t leak when disengaged from the fabric.

The tool is superior to all the other shear dry tools, and considerably less costly. Unfortunately it’s initial incarnation had some quality issues which has caused some to disavow it entirely.

Phil.

Dec 3, 2015
Real Name
jerry smith
I have drimaster, shurdry and sapphire and i choose sapphire 100%. Well my drimaster metal lips (like yours) are my only complaint. The shurdry is very cheaply made and does not give near the results as the other 2. Imo.

Doitright

Dec 4, 2018
Real Name
Raymond Turner-Simmons
Agree, I still have it, once you get used to it, it's a gold. The oldest tool in my arsenal is Edic close spray, Kleenrite with a aluminum head lasted over 1 year and I use Mytee Dry for showing off( nice colours) and for lightly soiled surface. If I have pets situation(hair) long philips screwdriver is by my side for quick head removal- needed wire hook also to get hairs out. I would opt for Kleenrite(3 wide vac slots), but aluminum head has a tendency to disingrate rather quickly.
Like with any other tools, it's nice to have a few upholstery tools to choose from. I have no problem with Pmf upholstery tool, but I find vac hose too ridgid, so I got rid of it. Cleaning messed up sofa in garage while custy is getting drunk on beer is
the best, more bottles, the better tip at the end. Love the summer....
I bought a drimaster , it's black in color, Spent about four hundred. The stainless steel lips are too close together. I have to check the lips every ten minutes , to make sure they're not clog. They moved the lips farther apart on the newer ones, but I'm stuck with this one. I'll try to call them for a remedy.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I just recently purchased a SS tool .
Been using ProChem's tool for 25 years
The SS works great only when its dialed in right but cant dig into the corners like the PC does .
The PC tool is crazy great on detailing step corners and face side on stair cases .
My big complaint with the SS would be the hand grip area is over sized and hurts the wrist after 30 -40 mins . Im 6"5 with big hands .
do you have pics of them

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Got a new rotovac sheardry in the mail today. Excited to give it a try. I'll update soon. I got a demo unit from steam brite for 330. Looks like new. Fast shipping. Unit looks really well made so far.