Upholstery Problem | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Upholstery Problem

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Interesting problem I haven't run into before. I haven't gone back to the client yet to check it out but I'm assuming a brown-out or acid rinse will take care of this.

The buttons on a polyester couch turned brown after cleaning. Tag didn't say anything about natural fibers anywhere, so what do you guys think?
Resized_IMG_68991.jpg

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
They weren't metal as far as I could tell - but good point if there was some metal underlying them.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
They weren't metal as far as I could tell - but good point if there was some metal underlying them.
I'd almost bet there is metal underlying that rusted. I would try a little rust remover applied to a rag then to the buttons and see if you can get it out. Less is better on something like that. Unless they used a different fabric on those buttons, which is doubtful, then it almost certainly is rust, not fabric browning.

It might be wise to do a very basic burn test just to see if the fabric melts or turns to ash or a little of both. Ash would indicate more of a browning problem from natural fiber than rust. I seriously doubt a blend would brown out that severely. I still tend to think it's rust though.

Btw, just from the picture, I'm very doubtful that's polyester. If I'm really in doubt on a fabric I just like to know if it's natural, synthetic, or a blend. It just takes a minute or so to figure that out with a lighter!

Last edited:
Reactions: sbsscn

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
Rust from metal buttons. After you remove the rust, lighty spray wd 40 to prevent the rust from coming back. That's a old chair haven't seen metal buttons in a long time

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Use some good gloves that whink acid will reek some havoc
Trust me, I know. Years ago I stuck a bottle in my pocket and forgot about it. While driving to the next job it leaked.I ended up with a chemical burn that covered most of my thy. It burned For about 2 weeks like I was on fire.

I don’t use Whink anymore for day to day rust removal, I use the safer stuff but on this upholstery job I would use Whink.

• Wow
Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Trust me, I know. Years ago I stuck a bottle in my pocket and forgot about it. While driving to the next job it leaked.I ended up with a chemical burn that covered most of my thy. It burned For about 2 weeks like I was on fire.

I don’t use Whink anymore for day to day rust removal, I use the safer stuff but on this upholstery job I would use Whink.
U got lucky that could’ve been a lot worse

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Interesting problem I haven't run into before. I haven't gone back to the client yet to check it out but I'm assuming a brown-out or acid rinse will take care of this.

The buttons on a polyester couch turned brown after cleaning. Tag didn't say anything about natural fibers anywhere, so what do you guys think?View attachment 92628
its rust

What I do is take a plastic tab square and cut till center and slide that tab behind the button to prevent this from happening.

Try placing some drops of CTI/pros choice rust remover on a clean terry towel and blot, place the plastic tab and rinse when rust is gone, then wipe clean towel and use a blow dryer to dry asap

Reactions: wandwizard