Upholstery help needed. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Upholstery help needed.

Bmeeder

Feb 6, 2020
Real Name
Bryan Meeder
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and am in desperate need of advice to keep a new company client happy. They called us out to a lavish home to clean a white chair. The owner was there and was extremely happy with the job we did. Majority of the stains came out. We then get a call a day later and the chair dried with yellow stainage all the way around the top part. The owner told us it has recently been recovered and on that spot there doesn’t seem to be any backing of any kind. A co-worker and my best guess is the wood finishing is wicking through. No other part of the chair had this appear.

Three questions: 1. How do we remove the stain?
2. How do we clean it without having it wick up?
3. What do you think the issue is?
Appreciate it.

Attachments

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Almost looks like cellulose browning. Not sure about the wood wicking. Does not look like tanning.

1st thing is to know what fiber youre dealing with.

identify the fiber first then I could give you some pointers. Hint: you cannot tell just by lookling at it.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
It definitely does look like a little fabric browning to me too. That could be caused either by leaving it a bit too wet or by one of the chems used in the cleaning process or both. That definitely looks like an all natural fabric to me and it needs to be left in either an acid or very near neutral ph. Getting it as dry as possible also helps prevent problems I often take some microfiber towels or rags and detail around areas like that and sometimes over the whole piece to leave it extra dry. Putting a fan on it can also be done to speed dry the fabric. I suspect that area got too wet while removing the stains or something used was too alkaline.

I think that stain should be correctable with some Haitian cotton shampoo or acid side shampoo, or even a good acid side rinse. I normally apply some shampoo to the fabric with a sponge followed by acid rinse to help avoid problems like that. Use the right products, avoid getting it too wet, dry ASAP, and most upholstery problems won't happen. I also use a good upholstery pre-spray on some furniture, but a good shampoo is the best for delicate or problem fabrics.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Sponge acid rinse on but not heavy. Then terry cloth and speed dry. Should see the final result in about 15 mins

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
I cringed when I saw the pictures, might have gotten a little to wet in that area trying to get those stains out that were there. Definitely treat it with some browning treatment, and speed dry. That area of the chair with the piping and lack of padding with who knows what under it is frustrating