Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
We clean a lot of upholstery and have not dry cleaned anything in 33 years, including a $10K silk couch. The only thing I would NOT wet clean is Haitian cotton, which is not around much anymore.

If you think you need to dry clean because of that little tag on the platform of the upholstery, you are wrong. That tag is for consumers to follow.

My IICRC (IICUC) uph cleaning class was taught by Wally Weber (a blast from the past).

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
We clean a lot of upholstery and have not dry cleaned anything in 33 years, including a $10K silk couch. The only thing I would NOT wet clean is Haitian cotton, which is not around much anymore.

If you think you need to dry clean because of that little tag on the platform of the upholstery, you are wrong. That tag is for consumers to follow.

My IICRC (IICUC) uph cleaning class was taught by Wally Weber (a blast from the past).
I'll bite . So how do you clean a 10K silk couch ? Product and procedure please .
Thanks !!
All the Best , Ed

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I'll bite . So how do you clean a 10K silk couch ? Product and procedure please .
Thanks !!
All the Best , Ed
I’ve wet cleaned silk but only do so if there is a reason to. On silk, velvets, and other fine fabrics I prefer a dry or low moisture cleaning.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Thanks !!
All the Best , Ed
The couch was white and had red specks all over it. We determined it was red spiders from the tropical palm trees in the foyer some 30 feet overhead.

Misted on cleaning solution pH 9, medium+ agitated, and rinsed/vacuumed with the truckmount set for low pressure and low vacuum.

Silk is actually very strong.

The palm trees are no longer there, nor is the silk couch.

CleaningBROS

Sep 2, 2013
Honestly a portable is almost better than a truckmount for this, just make sure the portable is outside so the exhaust doesn’t fumigate the house.

It has to be a portable machine with special hot solvent circuit as pump on ordinary HWE porty will get damaged by the solvent. Also if the machine has an exaust pipe at the back fumes can be vented out of the building so odour will be limited. Also double respirator mask is a must

Attachments

• D4B283AF-56D9-44D4-B931-D0724C3FCD2A.jpeg
    D4B283AF-56D9-44D4-B931-D0724C3FCD2A.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 136
  • BA630392-ACD2-4E30-9A65-5E54749599E2.jpeg
    BA630392-ACD2-4E30-9A65-5E54749599E2.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 128

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The Furniture and Drapery Compound shown above has proven to be an excellent replacement product of sorts in this are for my dry cleaning guys. It's not necessarily ideal, but it beats the heck out of many other options (including, dare I say it, straight OMS).

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I’ve never cleaned a drapery in my life.

That's too bad, Rob. It's a nice niche. I made a fortune cleaning draperies. Along with valances, fabric wall coverings, tapestry, cellulose blinds, animal skin rugs, taxidermy, lamp shades, etc. etc. A LOT more money in that than carpets, that's for sure.

Reactions: Scott W

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro

I was a IICUC member too way back in the 1700's. ;) And who can forget Wally?

I dry clean nothing. Don't have to. There's more than one way to skin a cat. (y)

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
It has to be a portable machine with special hot solvent circuit as pump on ordinary HWE porty will get damaged by the solvent. Also if the machine has an exaust pipe at the back fumes can be vented out of the building so odour will be limited. Also double respirator mask is a must

I learned 25 years ago to do it a little different. I’ve never used a solvent extractor like you have. I’ve aleays applied the solvent via a sprayer (thank my old boss for teaching me that). It actually works quite well.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I learned 25 years ago to do it a little different. I’ve never used a solvent extractor like you have. I’ve aleays applied the solvent via a sprayer (thank my old boss for teaching me that). It actually works quite well.

I owned a kleenrite machine for a few years back in the 80's and early 90's. Don't get me wrong, it was a great invention and all with the ability to heat up solvent to 120 degrees (if my memory serves me right), BUT.....it still didn't remove soil as well as my water based, very low moisture soil transfer method. Plus the filtering and disposal of the used solvent was a real pain in the ass. And you better have a real long hose to hook up to the exhaust so you can run it outside otherwise you and everyone in the house will be high as a kite. Needless to say I sold mine as it just collected dust.

Reactions: Scott W

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I still have a Kleenrite drapery tool with insert for pleats. I never owned their drapery cleaning machine, so when we cleaned draperies we applied the OMS mixed with Kleenrite solvent charge from a solvent-resistant pump-up sprayer, and used the truckmount with the pressure pump turned off for extracting. That way any odor is exhausted outside.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I still have a Kleenrite drapery tool with insert for pleats. I never owned their drapery cleaning machine, so when we cleaned draperies we applied the OMS mixed with Kleenrite solvent charge from a solvent-resistant pump-up sprayer, and used the truckmount with the pressure pump turned off for extracting. That way any odor is exhausted outside.

I think that drapery tool was (and still is) the best part of that whole set up. (y)

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

That’s exactly how I do it.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Question I have for solvent/Dry Cleaning (OMS) is

What do you do with soiled solvent? disposal?

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I still have my US Products wet/dry portable. I'd fill it with OMS and an additive and go to work. No mask, no rubber gloves and red hands and arms at the end of the job. Check in hand and happy as pie.
That was back when I was young and dumb... :)